okay so I've read some posts and now I'm starting to panic - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2006, 08:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
greetings my friends, so I'm a newbie trailer owner who has read some posts, quite a lot actually and now need someone to help calm my nerves ...all I've done so far is tow the trailer 80k home, it sure looks great, seemed okay to tow but I've never towed one so don't know any better .... but read some posts and now I'm wondering: is my Trillium going to split apart, I don't see any cracks in the fiberglass and is the axle going to give way or break or whatever because of this recall thing, or is that the fiberglass- and how do I know if my axle was repaired or replaced....and am I to count on at least doing one 180 on the highway during my travel trailer career.....and is my tranny going to blow, does everyone need a tranny cooler?????? All I was going to do was hitch it up, and drive to Maine in 3 weeks but now I think I'd better tow it to an RV place for an underneath inspection....the gent I purchased it from said the trailer was the best he's ever seen....yeah, yeah, sure, sure, heard that one before.....but no, really, it is in superb shape like it's rarely been used...any suggestions? should I take it to a garage, rv place for inspection....any advice would be much appreciated yours in trailer solidarity.....

ps anyone know where I can get an add-a-room to fit this sweet little egg of mine....
Jen in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Be calm. Chant a Mantra...

*TRILLLLLLLLLLLLLL TRILLLLLLLLLLLLLL*

Yes, take it to an RV place and have it inspected. I do mine once a year, even if I know it's history. It doesn't cost much (I pay 40 bones) and they check the frame, coach and test the electrical and propane.

Electrical is no big deal, I tinker with it all the time and know it's up to snuff, but it's part of the package and it can't hurt to have a second set of eyes.

If it's a good place, they will show you how to do basic inspections for all the critical towing items, and even give you tips.

Don't know if a BIG rv place will do that, but my independent guy is happy to share info.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
greetings my friends, so I'm a newbie trailer owner who has read some posts, quite a lot actually and now need someone to help calm my nerves ...
ps anyone know where I can get an add-a-room to fit this sweet little egg of mine....
Jen; the fiberglass "eggs" are about the most trouble-free RV you can buy BUT they will need maintenance (just like your car and home). Most definitly have the tires and bearings checked and bearings repacked. As far as the tow vehicle, most any 6 cyl. van, truck or SUV should handle the 13' without a problem.

Depending on the equipment you have inside the egg you might do better to check it out yourself so you understand how the stuff works... always do this before you leave on a trip. Use this board if there are any problems or questions and you have a huge resource to help out.

Welcome to eggland!

Regards
John
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
The weak spot is in the frame. On the front end where it first goes under the fiberglass.
The factory did a recall on them and most where fixed by adding plates of steel in the area.
take a look if you see extra stufff welded here the fix has been done, Even with the plates there they can crack it is pretty easy to poke you head done to take a look. Axles might need replacement if they are no longer absorbing bumps in the road.
Relax and enjoy your egg
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
greetings my friends, so I'm a newbie trailer owner who has read some posts,
Jen; there are plenty of add-a-rooms available... they are called tents

It would be helpful if you posted the age of the egg, equipment (eg. AC, frig....) and general equipment. You should also check the condition of the tires as they generally show signs of "sun rot" and cracking at the sidewall after five or so years.

Regards
John
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
thanks everyone for your input....i have an appt with an rv dealer on monday to talk about installing one of those fantastic fans in the trailer and to see what their add a rooms look like...later in the week I will bring the trailer in for inspection, so than I can be on my merry way, feeling carefree, Trillium in tow....to places unseen so here's to new adventures ......
Jen in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream / Mazda B4000 pickup
Re: "new rooms" I've had a screen room installed on my Fiber Stream that was actually designed for popping off a tent trailer, but works great. Measurements are important, and likely some hardware would have to be installed to the hull. Good luck! If your RV repair shop turns out to be a good place to take an egg to and is anywhere near Toronto, I'd like to hear about it.
Robin
Robin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's actually quite normal to come to any specialty group for RVs, boats, autos, trucks, etc., start reading about all the troubles and get worried -- People post problems and ask for solutions much more often than they post non-problems, so one tends to read far more about problems than the times everything went OK.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote