Old man winter put a hole in by Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Name: steve
Trailer: Boler
Banff, Alberta
Old man winter put a hole in by Boler

Just got our 74 Boler back from storage, snow load was left on top all winter, and we now have a fairly large hole just above the back rear window with about a 5 inch crack continuing up to the curved part of the roof.
So I guess by question for the group is, can I fix this myself? I've never worked with fibreglass before, and I'd really like the repair to be seamless. Should I take it to a professional? Or give it a go myself? Can anyone recommend a repair shop in the Bow Valley or Calgary - and any idea what a decent repair job will cost us?
Thanks very much, I'll post a picture shortly.
Steve

EDIT - wanted to mention I have the missing piece, is it of any use for repairing this?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0712.jpg  
nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

Banff, Alberta
I can fix that!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Good tutorial.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Its a doable job, depending on whats most important...money or how it looks...I guess taking into account your skill level.

I have some fiberglassing experience... grinded out cracks in my sailboats keel and relayed up several layers of matt and cloth to fix it....worked out well, but cosmetically wasn't looking awesome...it was obvious it was repaired(although a few years later after Hurracaine Sandy smacked her around the insurance people didn't even notice it lol)...that takes skill to camouflage the repair and I'm not up to that level yet.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
To answer your first two questions: YES you can fix it and YES you will need the part that fell out. If you fix it yourself I am sure that by following the tutorials you will have a very strong patch, it will probably be visible because of the different colors and you will probably want to paint the trailer. The other option would be to take it to a boat repair compant (there are lots in Calgary and area. They are experienced in fixing exactly this type of damage on a boat when an inexperienced driver crashes into a rock. They can easily fix the hole and will match the gel coat to the surrounding area.

For next year when you store your trailer I raise the back of my trailer on stands and lower the front as low as I can so there is a considerable slope to the roof, this way any snow on the roof usually slides off.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Steve. Darn snow I have a suggestion for next year. Put a support post inside to keep the roof from sagging. I used a T shape top and bottom to spread the weight. At the ceiling I used a blanket as wedge/cushion. We got a lot of snow in Quebec this year and the post did its job.
Good luck with the repair!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Hibernation

This is a photo with the snow here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0705.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Winter Braceing

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Steve. Darn snow I have a suggestion for next year. Put a support post inside to keep the roof from sagging. I used a T shape top and bottom to spread the weight. At the ceiling I used a blanket as wedge/cushion. We got a lot of snow in Quebec this year and the post did its job.
Good luck with the repair!
Same Advice. Add braces ,Tilt trailer Northern Wisconsin
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

Banff, Alberta
All great suggestions guys, thank you - wish I would have thought of those earlier.
I left it at a friend's house in Golden BC, assuming he'd sweep it clear from time to time - but that didn't happen.
Ah well, I 'll flip this situation around and say "hey - I finally have an opportunity to try my hand at fibre glass repair"!!

I just picked up some fibre glass mat as suggested in that link above, and I'll post back with my progress, should be somewhat entertaining....
Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Bummer! The tutorial does show how to repair some larger holes. What have you got to lose? If the plane engine conks out not really knowing how to parachute should not keep one from strapping a chute on and giving it a try.

Worse case you get it sealed up against weather. Might show a picture to a boat shop get a ball park price first. Ask them if it will cost more if you patch it first then bring it in later for them to do a quality job. Don't be surprised if they say depends on how bad you screw it up :-)

I'll try anything (pretty much) once I decide I can live with it works but is not "professional" quality when professional is going to cost more than I want to spend. But if getting it done professionally is doable and reasonable cost I would not hesitate to go that route.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
steve---

i'd contact joe at teamtrillium trailers there in calgary. he's an excellent resource. he builds them. can only imagine he can fix 'em, too.

good luck!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #12

Banff, Alberta
Just got a quote back based on that same picture for 1500-2000 for back to factory original with gel coat.
Ouch, but kinda what I expected.
Company suggested it might be covered by insurance, so I'll contact them tomorrow to see if that might be true….

EDIT - not from Trillium trailers, another smaller company that appears to do good work.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 AM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I will second Ian's comments. He said everything I would have said plus added some sage advice about tilting it.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #14

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Fiberglass work is 30-60 minutes a day for a week or ten days. It is not hard if you have the right tools. Mostly you are gearing up or doing prep work. The actual glassing is fast. The you wait a day for things to harden up.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsons View Post
Company suggested it might be covered by insurance, so I'll contact them tomorrow to see if that might be true….
Steve,
I'd be interested to hear what your insurance company says. When I got our trailer's insurance I asked about all sorts of hazards because of where we leave the trailer: trees, fire, etc. Can't remember if I asked about snow. But the insurance agent kept saying "yes" to everything. Mind you, what they say when they are SELLING is a lot different than what they say when you are CLAIMING

Good luck,
Phil
Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh Steve, this makes me sad. You've gotten some great advice and I bet you'll fix 'er up so it's totally acceptable to you.

Everytime someone mentions snow loads and precautions and a few jump in and say "I don't do anything and have never had a problem," I cringe. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Sorry it happened to you...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If your insurance company will pay for it I agree with the others that taking it to Trillium in Calgary for repair as you are so close to them or getting a referral directly from them as to were to take it would be my first choose.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #18

Banff, Alberta
Well so far it's looking good with insurance, spoke with a claims adjuster and someone is going to stop by in the next day or two. Here's hoping...
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Everytime someone mentions snow loads and precautions and a few jump in and say "I don't do anything and have never had a problem," I cringe. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Sorry it happened to you...
Wonder what became of this poor boler?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsons View Post
Well so far it's looking good with insurance, spoke with a claims adjuster and someone is going to stop by in the next day or two. Here's hoping...
You may want to start going through the Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com site and printing off like trailers for sale and sold to present to who the insurance company sends to look at the trailer - including pictures. Best of course if you have ads for your area due to cost differences in the different areas. You may have to prove thats its worth more than they think its is - i.e. they may try and write it off as the damage to repair is more than what *they* think the trailer is worth.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler