Oliver FGRV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
We just picked up our new Oliver last week, and I wanted to clear up a potential misunderstanding about the interior.
The interior shell is NOT plastic, it is strong molded fiberglass with a smooth gelcoated finish. The Oliver is built from four fiberglass molds, inner and outer, both upper and lower.
The vacuforming process shown in the video is used ONLY for the removable storage tray inserts. These custom insert trays allow us to use the available space in the cargo/seat areas without placing our stuff directly on top of mechanicals, wiring, tubing, etc. Because the inserts are easily removable, they still allow us access to all the above mentioned mechanicals, wiring, etc. when needed. We're very happy with the clean, neat finish they provide in the cargo/seating area, and they work out well for us.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #16

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
SherryNPaul, thanks for clarifying that for everyone . . .

7 more pics have been posted on the "Wonder Egg's" production.

You can see the cell phone repeater topside antenna; cool pictures of the inner top (or the "yolk" of the egg) notice again, some of the dark sprayed on lizard skin insulation; a few pics of the Charge Controller for the 100w solar system, showing its size relative to a yellow legal pad.

You can see them at:
http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... mview=grid

Pete

Old 02-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Here's some info from the manufacturer about the Lizard Skin Insulation
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #18

Florida
Registry
Hey, Pete,
It's been fun to watch your egg's progress/gestation... on line and in person. We're in Western NC every 7-10 days, so we've scooted a little further west the last few trips and seen a bit of Howenwald, Oliver Technologies.... and your trailer in progress, as well as our own and others.

We bought a "demo" so we didn't get the cool lizard skin... I'm sure it would work out better in our humid Florida clime, but we're thrilled with the product we have. These Oliver guys are perfectionists, and they all so very obviously love what they're doing. What a talented, warm, intelligent bunch of people to work with. They're quality people building a quality product.

We added about six extras, including thermo pane windows, to the demo. No hassle, just pleasantries, and I think, a very fair price for extras. Thermo pane windows mean a lot in Florida... maybe as much or more than in Minnesota where I grew up. Dealing with heat is just as tough as dealing with bitter cold....

Anyway, we saw your Oliver last week, and it's looking good!!!! I saw your solar panel, too, but it was very carefully handled/guarded... it's a very special item around Oliver. The guys handle it like a real "egg", gentle handling, special storage, etc.

Incidentally, on the trip home from TN to FL, our little Oliver trailed along behind the Volvo like a dream. Sometimes, until we looked in the rearview mirror, it was like there was nothing behind the car.!! Through the hills of Tennessee, we would probably have been happy for the extra power of the Silverado, but with three of us travelling, we needed the extra seating capacity of the car. (2.4 vs 5.3...) One of the reasons we bought the Oliver was that we thought we'd be able to tow easily with the car or the truck, and we're happy that our original ideas have been proven to be realistic.

We spent a little more than we originally planned, but we feel we got extreme value for the price. It's solid, clean, and well-designed.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hey", and hope we'll get to meet you someday, since we've seen your highly customized trailer so much, we feel as though we know you at least a little bit!

Sherry
Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #19

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Incidentally, on the trip home from TN to FL, our little Oliver trailed along behind the Volvo like a dream. Sometimes, until we looked in the rearview mirror, it was like there was nothing behind the car.!! Through the hills of Tennessee, we would probably have been happy for the extra power of the Silverado, but with three of us travelling, we needed the extra seating capacity of the car. (2.4 vs 5.3...) One of the reasons we bought the Oliver was that we thought we'd be able to tow easily with the car or the truck, and we're happy that our original ideas have been proven to be realistic.

Sherry
I hereby respectfully request a picture of your Volvo/Oliver Rig. Here or in the "Rigs"thread, whichever suits you best, at your earliest convenience, please. [b]Because we love pictures!
Oh, and because I am a Volvo fan. Thank you for your consideration!

Best,

Clive
244GL and 245DL
Old 02-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #20

Florida
Registry
Hey! My brother was the official "midwife" photographer! As soon as we get downloaded pix, I'll post! Maybe tomorrow?!

Sher

Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #21

Sherry,

Thanks for the report on the loving care the Oliver crew is giving my Wonder Egg. They really are doing a class act for me . . . I am going to ask them all to sign the finished product (perhaps somewhere in the closet) so I can "carry them all with me" as I travel.

I agree about the double pane windows - energy goes both ways. That heat pouring in through single pane windows here in Texas during the summer can be rather toasty.

Seeing as I have relatives up near Ocala and friends down on Marco Island, you & Paul are right between the two. A meeting is a real possibility. Perhaps we could also coordinate travels and meet for a mini-rally!

Pete

ps 2 more photos are up! What you are looking at is the inner top fiberglass shell with some aluminum-foil shielding for the cell phone amplifier antennas. (And no... I do NOT wear a tinfoil hat!!!)
Old 03-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #22

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I hereby respectfully request a picture of your Volvo/Oliver Rig. Here or in the "Rigs"thread, whichever suits you best, at your earliest convenience, please. [b]Because we love pictures!
Oh, and because I am a Volvo fan. Thank you for your consideration!

Best,

Clive
244GL and 245DL
Hi, Clive,
I've never posted a picture on this forum before, so let's see if this works... We've hitched up the little Oliver to the Volvo XC90, and are ready to load up and leave the delivery bay. It really was a fun trip home... just too short!

Sherry

(EDIT: please do not link to outside images. Up load here.)
Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Pete,
My hubby and I took a tour of the Oliver plant today and saw your "baby!" You are going to be so pleased! The top outer layer is sitting next to the rest of your egg waiting to be added on. We also saw your solar panel and antenna. That is going to be one cool egg!

We were very impressed with the workmanship of these trailers. There is so much attention to detail and I really like their options. The company is also very open to customizing any way the buyer wants. I think they're going to do very well and I hope we can get one someday too!

Sandra
Old 03-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #24

Sandra,

Thanks for the report on my baby . .

I anticipate Oscar the Smiley Dog & I will head out to Hohenwald in about two weeks. I plan to get the briefing and kick the tires on a Monday, stay overnight a couple nights on Jim Oliver's property where he has set up a typical campsite and have a shakedown cruise to teach this newbie a thing or two, and play some music on my Native American flutes & Irish Pennywhistles, read some books, hang out with Oscar, then hit the road back to the Texas Hill Country.

Hopefully, our first outing will be the Texas Bluebonnet rally which is only about 35 miles from our nest.

I've been having fun the last few days buying items to outfit the Wonder Egg!

Pete
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #25

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Hi, Clive,
I've never posted a picture on this forum before, so let's see if this works... We've hitched up the little Oliver to the Volvo XC90, and are ready to load up and leave the delivery bay. It really was a fun trip home... just too short!

Sherry

(EDIT: please do not link to outside images. Up load here.)
Hi Sherry;
Thanks for the attempt. Please upload the photos to the site as Mike directed. I would love to see them.
Best,
Clive
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #26

Florida
Registry
Ok if all else fails, go back and read the directions...

Let's try it again, Clive!

Here we are in the delivery bay loading up the Oliver for the first trip...
Attached Thumbnails
trailer.jpg  
Old 03-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #27
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Beautiful!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #28

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Ok if all else fails, go back and read the directions...

Let's try it again, Clive!

Here we are in the delivery bay loading up the Oliver for the first trip...
Thanks for taking the time to post that! It's a great looking rig you have there. Wishing you many (happy) adventures with it!
Best,
Clive

Tags
oliver