On The Level - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Alot has been said about covering your camper but none about if the trailer should be level while parked though the winter.
I have kept my Boler 13ft on its leveling jacks level the past few years but noted that due to a slite dip in the roof water tends to pool there.
This winter I tilted the trailer back so water would run off.
Will anything happen to the glass...I still have the 4 jacks down taken some weight off the tires, just not level?
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
From the Winterizing Tutorial (on the left nav bar)
Quote:
[b]Outside the trailer:

1. Make certain there are no low spots on roof for water to puddle (freeze/thaw). If necessary raise (or lower) tongue jack to allow water run off.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Alot has been said about covering your camper but none about if the trailer should be level while parked though the winter.
I have kept my Boler 13ft on its leveling jacks level the past few years but noted that due to a slite dip in the roof water tends to pool there.
This winter I tilted the trailer back so water would run off.
Will anything happen to the glass...I still have the 4 jacks down taken some weight off the tires, just not level?
Gerry the canoebuilder
Hi: There's nothing wrong with being 1/2 a bubble off of plumb!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:

Hi: There's nothing wrong with being 1/2 a bubble off of plumb!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I've been known to be MORE than a half a bubble off quite a bit of my (adult) life, LOL!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Our Scamp also puddles water around the top vent when setting level.

What I do is a bit crude, but I cut a 2 x 4 about an inch longer than the inside height at the vent and install it by wedging it in place when the trailer is not being used.

Try it. You might like it!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Our Scamp also puddles water around the top vent when setting level.

What I do is a bit crude, but I cut a 2 x 4 about an inch longer than the inside height at the vent and install it by wedging it in place when the trailer is not being used.

Try it. You might like it!

Hmmm I place an upright stiff arm in my trailer also but do not cut it a whole inch longer. Maybe 1/2 inch. I lay a wide board across floor so I know it is spanning 2 of the metal cross members on the frame then the siff arm and another long board across the top for more support area.
I have never checked to see if this took the bow out while sitting level????
I guess having it tilted back wont hurt a thing as long as it is supported.
Alf: I just place one arm of my glasses n top of my ear so they sit crooked and the whole world looks just fine Just have to read my saying below my posts!
Gerry the Crazy Canoebuilder
Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
When parking the trailer outside for the winter I make sure that the fresh water drain cock is open and lower the front end of the trailer as far as it will go.This makes sure that the water tank doesn't freeze and crack and allowes water to run off the roof and not gather in one spot. I still get a couple of feet of snow there in the cold months. Looks like it's wearing a top hat. The battery I charge up and store in my unheated garage and put it back on the charger overnight a couple of times during the winter to make sure it's up to capacity.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 AM   #8

Thanks all for the replies. I have the puddle problem in the back so I have put it half a bubble tilt to the rear.
You don't think that's alot till you step inside and it's like a fun house or if I remember right from years ago, after cribage night at a friends.
I put the stiff arm in to support the snow load because 3 feet of snow is common and you can always count on an early spring storm of 12 inches of more of wet heavy snow.
Water tanks not a problem as original ones were junk so I carry a remote tank outside and just unhook pump tubes and flush lines then take pump in.
I got a battery maintainer this year and took the battery into basement as I do every year and leave it plugged in.
(some say RV batteries will only last 2 seasons, Nest year will be our 3rd year so we'll see.)
Had hard rain yesterday and they are now talking maybe snow this weekend so guess I will cover the Lady-Bug and let her sleep for the next 5 months.
Funny. already looking at Campground books for next seasons trips.
Gerry the canoebuilder