opinions please on this type of tarp/cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Saskatchewan
background info:

just purchased a 1997 lil Bigfoot boler style rv. Live in saskatchewan where we experience harsh winters. think -30c (-22F) temperatures and many feet of snow that lasts from oct - may. We rent so building a garage is not an option so i was thinking a tarp/cover might be needed to protect our new baby from our nasty winters.

#1 - if a garage is not an option is a cover/tarp a good idea. i have read about the risks of mold and wrecking the exterior etc.

#2 there is a person on kijiji that custom makes tarps/covers for boler and scamp trailers, has anyone seen these? what are your thoughts on this style of cover???

Boler & Scamp Tarp/Covers - Winnipeg Cars & Vehicles For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada.

info provided by seller :

our boler covers are extremely durable and are made of clear polyolefin 6 oz fabric (14 lbs in total) which has a uv inhibitor in it. they are built to last and when placed over the boler stay on the boler. they have velcro door that can roll up for access to camper when on. there is also another velcro slit on it near the a frame for ease of taking off and putting on by one person and can be rolled up into a small bundle for storage. our covers sell for 395.50 tax in. and can be shipped cod via greyhound. covers take approx one week to be made.
denabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I don't think mold can thrive (or even survive ) in a cold Saskatchewan winter. Mold seems to be more of an issue in more temperate climates. Leave a vent or a window cracked open a small amount under your cover so that you get some air circulation, and you should be fine for the winter. By all means, go out and check on it every month or so to make sure everything is fine.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I would also not allow a large snow build up on top. A caved in roof is not fun. You might even cut a couple 2 x 4s to fit inside to give the roof a bit of extra support.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The issue usually associated with covers is abrasion. If there is any dirt on the trailer, movement due to wind will sand away the gel coat. I put a coat of good quality wax on mine and brush off the snow often. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...I am on a process of diy a make-shift...simple frame which is attached with Trillium when on...action. This one will be...rain-proof, heat-proof and also...snow-proof when in state of out-door storage. When on camping site, it will cover sun shine, rain with guaranteed air circuilation while roof vent and all windows OPENED. The size of tarp is 24x24 feet for a 1300Trillium. Tomorrow I will be on my way to camping site for long week-end. I will take photos in DETAILS, how this make-shift thing looks like and how I do it....Hopefully it turns out good like I expect....
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Ontario
...The snow season will be...around the corner. It's time to think ab winterization for out-door storage of F.G. If my make-shift thing work out, I would name it as....a TENTED F.G TRILLIUM
Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #7

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Saskatchewan
Thanks all for the replies. Really wondering though, has anyone used or heard of this style of cover? Just wondering if its something I should consider. Seems like a good idea
denabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
...I am on a process of diy a make-shift...simple frame which is attached with Trillium when on...action. This one will be...rain-proof, heat-proof and also...snow-proof when in state of out-door storage. When on camping site, it will cover sun shine, rain with guaranteed air circuilation while roof vent and all windows OPENED. The size of tarp is 24x24 feet for a 1300Trillium. Tomorrow I will be on my way to camping site for long week-end. I will take photos in DETAILS, how this make-shift thing looks like and how I do it....Hopefully it turns out good like I expect....
keep us posted on this, I'm interrested in seeing your idea.
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I think this would be an ideal shelter for a 13`trailer:
Clearview Garage, 11 x 16 x 8-ft | Canadian Tire

I have something like this, but I sure did not pay that much for it. I think I paid $270 on sale four years ago. I just set it up this year:
Double Car Canopy, 18 x 20-ft | Canadian Tire

I think I may add this for the winter:
SuperMax Canopy Enclosure Kit, 18 x 20' | Canadian Tire

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post396723
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They have these at Harbor Freight pretty reasonably, probably also at Princess Auto in Canada.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
keep us posted on this, I'm interrested in seeing your idea.
..Just a simple thing for a...simple man. The following are photos of my make-shift, simple frame for 1300Trillium. My actual tarp is big enough to cover from head-to-toe for the camper during snow season. In action of camping sites, one photo you could see(foggy) was actually taken before a thunderstorm. Also is my simple screen curtain to keep bug from entry. All the pipes are 5feet long, stored in PVC pipe with quick connection. In the next camping trip I would show you the photo of...ONE-PIECE-OF-TARP-FOR-ALL with full set of frame...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG166.jpg   IMG170.jpg  

IMG154.jpg   IMG152.jpg  

IMG167.jpg   IMG168.jpg  

IMG169.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I like the paint job.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #13

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I like the paint job.
...Thankyou. You make me proud of myself. With hand held spray gun and outdoor, it took me lesser than an hour to complete 2 coats of exterior paint then another hour for stripes and touch-up excluding prep(next day)....Total cost is lesser than 200bucks and one of my home coming from campings , there are more than 2 couples pulling out their phones to snap photo when I was eating inside and the Trillium parking in parking lot of...McDonald....