Ordering from Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
Ordering from Scamp

So, I was just going to order 10 feet of window gasket and a door gasket from Scamo. $28 worth of stuff. However, they were going to charge me $17.48 for UPS ground, and there was no other option.

Can that possibly be right? If so, I guess I'll try to get it locally. Geez.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
That could be their standard shipping charge. Just looked at a couple of my receipts from them...A $500 order had an $18 shipping charge and a $42 order also had an $18 shipping charge.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Did you do the order by phone or from the website? You will generally get the best shipping price on the phone, but it can still be high unless you bundle a lot of items into a single order. I try to anticipate future projects when I order.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

Texas
Online. I’ll call them Monday. Thanks, y’all!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #5

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
I'd give up my bunny boots for the opportunity to pay $18 shipping for most things I order, said the guy from Fairbanks Alaska. Most companies consider us outside the Continental States...
Biasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Scamp 16ft Side dinette
Arkansas
Scamp Shipping Pr

My husband and I have contacted Scamp on numerous occassions about their shipping costs. We needed door hinge hardware. The order total was less than $10, they wanted $28 to ship. We got our hardware elsewhere. We need to let Scamp know their shipping prices are too high. Just one of us complaining won't work.
sandra17487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
In 1867 we purchased Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million, so it must be part of Asia. Hence the UPS surcharge. Some would argue we overpaid, others would argue Alaska has been overtaxed for the privilege of being a state. But that's for another time.

Scamp? They are a business and not a charity. They probably are trying to cover not only the UPS shipping fee, but some of their costs of maintaining a shipping department. Labor, rent, heat lights, perhaps inventory. If they don't cover costs, they risk joining the list of former RV manufacturers.

Many companies (Amazon) run their shipping departments at a loss to gain market share strategically. Amazon has shown explosive growth while making very little money. Scamp is in the trailer manufacturing business. Parts are not their primary business, but a necessary support function. They choose not to lose money on parts. Makes sense.

Amazon just opened a ginormous ware house in Denver with several thousand employees. It is one of many. It was not paid for by free shipping, but Prime Fees may have helped.

Legend has it that Costco breaks even on the merchandise and makes their money on memberships fees. Both Amazon & Costco have in the range of 80 million members. For Costco, 80 million times at least $60 exceeds $4.8 billion. Prime charges more.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #8

Name: Tony
Trailer: Currently shopping
Alabama
I’m in the shipping business and UPS and FedEx ground prices have gotten embarrassing. There are now not only residential surcharges in the $3-5 range but also “rural” zip code surcharges of $2-3. Now add that to the actual shipping charge and in many cases the minimum residential shipping charge starts at $12-15
for their 1 pound minimum now add in labor, packaging and overhead. I’m sure most of these items they ship are very low profit margin items so I see it as fantastic customer service they do it at all.
Eggmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Volumetric pricing

About 3 years ago all the carriers (including USPS) changed to volumetric pricing, where the cost formula includes factors for the dimensions of your shipping container in addition to weight.

All the plastic parts I make are very light, but tend to be bulky as far as volume so larger boxes are required.

In most cases my shipping costs doubled or even tripled. Many of my items costs less than the shipping across the USA from the North West. I completely stopped shipping to Canada, Europe, and Australia.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
shipping charges

Thanks I will now have my neighbor run off my decals he has the machines and save myself extreme shipping charges.

I had a list but I wont order it now. Sounds like their handling charges are higher than their shipping!

check you shipping charges they will say shipping and handling. Compainies get greedy sometimes been there done that!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Thanks I will now have my neighbor run off my decals he has the machines and save myself extreme shipping charges.

I had a list but I wont order it now. Sounds like their handling charges are higher than their shipping!

check you shipping charges they will say shipping and handling. Compainies get greedy sometimes been there done that!

bob
"Handling" is a nebulous charge; most likely some companies do use it as purely profit padding. Others would consider it a fee for packaging required as that is technically not part of a shipping cost (separate line item with receipts from carriers is required by the IRS.) In my case I include the shipping container cost as an expense line item for taxes and do not call it out as an additional fee when invoicing, while some companies refer to it as a packaging or crating fee.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've bought parts and supplies from Scamp and found that I get a better shipping cost by calling. They've always charge me just it cost them to ship usually USPS.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
shippin and handling

In my business I put a small handling charge on all invoices I said small to cover some labor, boxes, labels and such.

I made a small profit but I didn't put a huge markup as Scamp does saying that its their businesss I can chose not to pay those exhorbinant shipping charges and figure out another way to do things without them!

I think Scamp is putting a mandatory 10.00 pad on their shipping to keep their shipping dept. going! One thing with computers and systems today everyone is a profit center in a business!

This in its own right is hard for employees to understand because they have no concept the owner has to make a profit to stay in business you know even make payroll!

bob

life in a 13f Scamp is ridiculous
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bob, it's really not so bad as all that! The online software is rudimentary when it comes to shipping charges- sounds like it just adds a flat $18 for smaller items. As Byron and others have said, give them a call. Plan ahead and order a bunch of stuff at once for the most cost-effective shipping.

Go to the post office and check out the sizes and prices of flat-rate USPS boxes. Shipping prices have risen dramatically across the board in the last few years. Scamp's charges are high, especially for small orders, but hardly exorbitant. We finally gave up packing and sending Christmas gifts- the cost to ship can easily be 2-3 times the value of the gifts.

I don't see Scamp getting rich from shipping charges. Unlike big online retailers, there is no negotiating volume discounts with shippers. Their charges are probably barely covering the employees' time to take the calls, gather the items, pack the order, and maintain inventory, in addition to absorbing credit card fees and paying full-price shipping.

That said, many of the parts in your Scamp are standard hardware or RV stock, so you can often find a better deal elsewhere. You may waste a lot of time determining the exact part and size to match OEM, though, so ordering directly from Scamp can be a time-saver.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #15

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Bob, Bob, take a breath! It's really not so bad. The online software is rudimentary when it comes to shipping charges- sounds like it just adds a flat $18 for smaller items. As Byron and others have said, give them a call. Plan ahead and order a bunch of stuff at once to save even more.

Go to the post office and check out the sizes and prices of flat-rate boxes. Shipping has gotten expensive across the board in the last few years. We finally gave up packing and sending Christmas gifts- the cost to ship can easily be 2-3 times the value of the gifts.

I don't think Scamp is getting rich from shipping charges. Unlike big online retailers, there is no negotiating volume discounts with UPS. Their charges are probably barely covering the employees' time to take the calls, gather the items, pack the order, and maintain inventory, in addition to absorbing credit card fees and paying full-price shipping.

That said, many of the parts in your Scamp are standard hardware or RV stock, so you can often find a better deal elsewhere. You may waste a lot of time determining the exact part and size to match OEM, so ordering directly from Scamp can be a time-saver.
----------------------------------------------------------
Jon, I don't have a business, but I ship lots of things to various relatives across the USA. I use the USPS. What I don't understand is why there aren't choices besides UPS ground service? What I was going to order was a door seal and a few feet of window gasket. 2 pounds max, IMO. That would be $6-7 at the post office.

If Scamp can't afford to run a shipping department without gouging their customers, they could surely spend a day or two of tech time posting links to where the parts could be ordered elsewhere ~ or at the very least ~ provide more detailed descriptions, including the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure they don't make most of this stuff themselves. We're a #CaptiveAudience under these circumstances.

I did call them this morning and ordered the door seal ($25); shipping $12.

Thanks, all. Done with this "rant."
Old 10-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_In_Austin View Post
So, I was just going to order 10 feet of window gasket and a door gasket from Scamo. $28 worth of stuff. However, they were going to charge me $17.48 for UPS ground, and there was no other option.

Can that possibly be right? If so, I guess I'll try to get it locally. Geez.
That price is for the large size box used for the priority shipping rate from USPS. I wonder if the person who set up the website entered the wrong information about who and how it is being shipped?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #17

Registry
I keep wondering why people insist on ordering Scamp Parts over the internet. I think I figured it out. With all the electronic toys we have they've forgotten how to talk on their phone, but they know how to text.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #18

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I keep wondering why people insist on ordering Scamp Parts over the internet. I think I figured it out. With all the electronic toys we have they've forgotten how to talk on their phone, but they know how to text.
---------------------------------------------------
Well, that's a little insulting.

I order online so I can keep track of the package as well as the charges, and because it's usually convenient.

I have better things to do than talk to shipping clerks all day but, when I need to communicate with a friend or relative, you can damned well bet I haven't "forgotten" how to talk on my phone or drive my car.

What I wonder about is why SOME people won't spend the time to make a helpful comment, but will take the time to criticize others (using their "electronic device").

Thanks very little.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_In_Austin View Post
---------------------------------------------------
Well, that's a little insulting.

I order online so I can keep track of the package as well as the charges, and because it's usually convenient.

I have better things to do than talk to shipping clerks all day but, when I need to communicate with a friend or relative, you can damned well bet I haven't "forgotten" how to talk on my phone or drive my car.

What I wonder about is why SOME people won't spend the time to make a helpful comment, but will take the time to criticize others (using their "electronic device").

Thanks very little.
touchy touchy touchy

This is a case of shoes fitting.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #20

Texas
I guess they were your size.

Tags
scamp