Original finish repairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #1

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Original finish repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Terry, the outermost layer of most of our eggs (as built by the factory) is that gelcoat, because there is no paint. A coloured (often white, sort of beige in my case) layer of resin, sprayed in the mould before the resin-impregnated glass fibre, is the only external finish.

Again thanks Brian for your valued input.

Want to repair some scratches in the original finish top center front; not paint the trailer as I like the original look.

Have used interlux marine top side paint to fix a canoe in past ‘Fighting Lady Yellow YHS056’ looks closest; original colour is a bit darker but area to be repaired is a faded a soft yellow; under tire at back shows original colour best. Some fading is giving at a more beige shade but still yellow.

Will buff and clean first to get a better idea of exact colour hope to start cleaning it later today or even tomorrow next week at latest

Did purchase a boat repair book for night time reading as felt it was a good start.

Can anyone lead me to a repair link? or offer some ideas?
just do not want too make a mess
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #2

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
West Marine has gel coat repair stuff. I've used it for small scratches on a boat. But you can use it for much larger areas. And you can color match.

That is a much better solution for patching for your gel coat than painting those areas. It can match texture as well as color.

Maybe someone here can give you a more complete explanation.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Mouse, looked into West Marine on internet they have a location in Barrie; next time I head that way will check it out. Will just clean and polish the trailer for now. The area to fix is on top front curve, tree damage or other obstacle and poor prior repair job. General finish is fine on the rest of the trailer.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Mouse: Sent a email about 3 product they have with intrest on what would work best, have you used one of these?
>EVERCOAT Match'N'Patch Large Gelcoat Repair Kit Model mfg. # 100668
>Evercoat Mix ‘N’ Match Gelcoat Repair kit mfg. #108000
>Mas Epoxies Gelcoat Repair kit Multicolor mfg. part 95-743PS
Hope to hear back soon from them
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
As it was explained to me (no personal experience) gelcoat unlike paint does not really self level. To get smooth requires sanding with super fine sand paper. Possibly wet/dry sanding. But then so does blending a paint touch up unless you paint entire panel (fender, door etc.).

Here is a link to marine repair guide that has some instructions on gelcoat repair. http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #6

Name: Gigi
Trailer: Champion Testra
Minnesota
Wondering if I post some pics if someone can tell me on my rv if the scratches can be buffed out or if i need to resort to a repair process?
gigi m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
You can't buff out scratches to gel coat, it isn't thick enough.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #8

Name: Gigi
Trailer: Champion Testra
Minnesota
thanks for the response..i did have a guy here tonight who looked at it and said the same thing. looks like they came from tree branches. he pointed out that i don't have much of a top coat left as you can see faintly the texture of the mesh. does anyone know if the west marine scratch repair might help these before i topcoat the rig? I don't want to paint it at least not now..
Attached Thumbnails
rv.jpg  
gigi m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
gigi m feel the same decided on slow spot by spot gelcoat repair. For me at least feel it is worth the trouble.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
gigi m feel the same decided on slow spot by spot gelcoat repair. For me at least feel it is worth the trouble.
I don't want to write a book on gelcoat repair but since this topic has come up many times I'll just make two brief comments.

One: go to a shop the sells FG products where the staff will give you good info and sell you what you need. Marine stores are great but the staff might never have done a gelcoat repair.

Two: The heart of a good and easiest to do gelcoat repair is covering it with vinyl, poly or best of all, sheet acetate, the kind used on old style overhead projectors. Put a drop of gelcoat in the scratch, put acetate sheet on top, smooth upwards moving any trapped air out and tape down.

The acetate will give the surface a glass smooth finish. Sometimes I've left that surface "as is" and sometimes I've wet sanded to blend it in perfectly and then buffed. Old timers called this method "cello finishing".

Works super well and after the first couple of scratches you can do it pretty quickly.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't want to write a book on gelcoat repair but since this topic has come up many times I'll just make two brief comments.

One: go to a shop the sells FG products where the staff will give you good info and sell you what you need. Marine stores are great but the staff might never have done a gelcoat repair.

Two: The heart of a good and easiest to do gelcoat repair is covering it with vinyl, poly or best of all, sheet acetate, the kind used on old style overhead projectors. Put a drop of gelcoat in the scratch, put acetate sheet on top, smooth upwards moving any trapped air out and tape down.

The acetate will give the surface a glass smooth finish. Sometimes I've left that surface "as is" and sometimes I've wet sanded to blend it in perfectly and then buffed. Old timers called this method "cello finishing".

Works super well and after the first couple of scratches you can do it pretty quickly.

Ron
Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #12

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
...and sometimes I've wet sanded to blend it in perfectly and then buffed.
I find the trick for wet sanding is to have a selection of tiny, completely hard sanding 'blocks' to wrap the wet and dry paper around.

The 'completely hard' is needed so that you only sand the proud bits and not the hollows. Anything rubbery will conform to the surface to some extent and so not flatten it but just make the bumps glossier.

And 'tiny' means no bigger than the defect being repaired - for a single scratch, I find the best 'block' is a 1" long piece of 1/4"x1/4" wood strip, wrapped with pieces of wet and dry not much bigger than a large postage stamp. Really

The aim is to never make the repair any bigger than it already is - it's dangerously easy to start with a scratch and end up with 6" square repair.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #13

Ontario
Registry
Always learning cello method sounds great