origional furnace install - boler 13 - curious it is. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
origional furnace install - boler 13 - curious it is.

I am in the process of installing a furnace from another boler into my boler. It is my understanding that the origional furnace was mounted in the space under the sink. I have discovered that there isn't enough depth in the cabinet to make this possible. If you look at the photos, the furnace hits against the wheel hub.

Did the kitchen cabinet evolve over time to become deeper?
What was the "factory solution" to this problem? Apparently this unit came OUT of a Boler 13, therefore I expected it to seamlessly go into a new one.

I can solve this by building a spacer with 1"x2" wood, but this will project the furnace further from the cabinet area. Perhaps there is something I am overlooking?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #2

Ontario
Registry
Perhaps these photos will clarify. The furnace needs to be cleaned up a little, but its nothing a little paint and elbow grease won't fix.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20130420-00069_1366488491526_s.jpg   IMG-20130420-00068_1366488541652_s.jpg  

IMG-20130420-00067_1366488599875_s.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Looks like a good ol' Wagonmaster....

Any chance the cabinet front surface is just a little bowed? That does happen with older trailers. You might try laying a flatedge from corner to corner to see if that's the case.

Or just pulling on the 'glass to see if it'll come "out" a little!

Francesca

P.S.

Have you tested this furnace to make sure it works? I recommend doing so before going to a lot of trouble to install....

F.

ON EDIT

Oops- look what I found...I think this is the same furnace in a Boler and it looks like it's trimmed out for the reason you describe.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Franchesca I think you may be on the right track. I think, however that the wall of the trailer may have bowed. The cabinet appears square. If I tip the cabinet forward about a half inch, it fits. There is enough flex in the wall of the trailer that it may be the trailer itself that's bowing. The question becomes: how to fix?

Edit:
It does look like the photo franchesca posted has a spacer behind the furnace. Curious. Is it a spacer or a flexing trailer wall?

On an interesting side note, I see the photo above is missing the customary iron support to the left side of the cabinet. Perhaps it has been removed?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Oh, boy- trailer flex...the scourge of early trailers!

I'm confused as to how you "tip the cabinet forward"- isn't it glassed to the wall??? I'm not real up on Boler construction, but I thought they used this means of attachment for cabinets, which also contributes to the rigidity of the whole.

Can't answer the "missing support" question- I'm only familiar with the use of supports in that area on Scamps. I will say that I don't see any empty holes that might indicate that something's been removed...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
The cabinet is fastened to the wall with rivits - or at least its supposed to be. This is a restoration project. The trailer was stripped out to the walls and I'm in the process of reassembling it. Since the cabinet is not attached to anything I can tip it forward and/or move it around.

The support you speak of is a black twisted iron thing that runs from the lower cabinet to the upper cabinet on the left side. The holes probably wouldn't be noticable in this photo.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Don't assume that just because things don't line up as expected, aren't parallel, aren't 90 degrees, and need to be tilted or twisted to fit.... That it has developed a "problem" over the years.
The '79 Scamp I've been working on for the past 8 months does not have a single stock cabinet or fixture that is properly centered, squared, level, plumb or flat, relative to each other or the floor! I think it's just the way these trailer are all built.
I certainly would not expect the face of the wheel well to be in perfectly parallel plane to the front of the cabinet. Just install it with a little projection and trim it out.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, furnace