Our Canopy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Our Canopy

Hi Pam...I know I am replying to the wrong thread..but I could not figure out how to reply with a picture to your pm question. Yes, we are so happy with our new canopy system! Found a Coleman 13' canopy. Greg bought 4 - 2 foot pieces of PVC pipe and put bolts in them to add enough height for the canopy to cover the UHaul. We just have to find a couple friendly souls to help us "walk, it over the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1287079662.jpg   image-1724086296.jpg  

image-3512665740.jpg  
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Private Messages do not have photo capability

I moved this post to it's own thread.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jane; That's one of the ideas we tried, using a Coleman 12 X 12. Made temporary extenders for two legs so we could back the trailer under, then drop it down. It covered the trailer good but gave it a dark feeling so that went back to Walmart. Tried a custom made rope & pole awning but didn't like that either. Don't want to drag around with us and set up the peaked canopy that you saw in GA, although it worked fairly well. So now we have installed a 7' bag awning, tried it on one camping weekend where it did rain, and it worked good. Only dislike is that the smaller bag awnings have the cheaper twist lock poles, but that's the only option. Next project, a tongue storage box and another version of a bike rack using both Thule and Swagman parts, maybe I'll call it Frankenrack!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
OK, I missed seeing the PVC Extenders, was wondering how it was tall enough for the UH. Since I camp alone, I am using a rope/pole awning which works great and I can put up alone. Not able to put up an EZ Up, (not so EZ alone). Nice setup
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Jane; That's one of the ideas we tried, using a Coleman 12 X 12. Made temporary extenders for two legs so we could back the trailer under, then drop it down. It covered the trailer good but gave it a dark feeling so that went back to Walmart. Tried a custom made rope & pole awning but didn't like that either. Don't want to drag around with us and set up the peaked canopy that you saw in GA, although it worked fairly well. So now we have installed a 7' bag awning, tried it on one camping weekend where it did rain, and it worked good. Only dislike is that the smaller bag awnings have the cheaper twist lock poles, but that's the only option. Next project, a tongue storage box and another version of a bike rack using both Thule and Swagman parts, maybe I'll call it Frankenrack!!
Bob...check out George Lauver's tongue box....it is really nice. If you are going to name the bike rack FRANKENrack you had better get it made by Halloween.

With the 7' awning, did you have to drill holes in the fiberglass to attach it?
Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

New York
George is the one who gave me lots of info about installing a bag awning. I had to install a new awning rail, which required drilling some holes to rivet it on, and I had to install the two ball sockets that the end rafters attach to. Two rivets for each socket. I was afraid that the ball sockets wouldn't work right because of the curve of the roof, but they are OK, just like George said they would be. When I ordered the awning I also bought with it a spring loaded center rafter for extra support. For a tongue box I'm going to mount a NRS Canyon Box that I ordered from LL Bean. Had to cut off the propane tank mount. Box is supposed to be delivered Tuesday. Will also have to reconfigure the tongue jack so that the crank handle clears the box. Spent most of today replacing a rear rim on my old Farmall tractor, then started cutting parts for the bike rack. Weld it together tomorrow if the weather is good.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
The Coleman Canopy seems to be similar to the King that we have. Do you know how much it weights? (approximately). How easy did you find it to put up and take down?
thanks
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

New York
According to Amazon the shipping weight on the Coleman 12X12 is 54 pounds. It was fairly easy to put up, about the same as the two similar 10 X 10 canopies we have, but larger and heavier. Our original idea was to have something quicker to put up over our Uhaul and teardrop campers than the Shelter Logic canopy we have been using. The teardrop easily fit under, but the Uhaul was too tall. The big issue with any canopy of this type is will it shed water and not have it pool up and bend the framework. We believe the Coleman canopy would be OK in the rain. We have camped with others that have them and like it. Another neat Coleman canopy is the one with the corner lights.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #9

South Carolina
Our Canopy

Bob, you are probably about right on the weight. The bag it comes in has wheels. It does not seem that bungersome. Greg and I find it very easy to put up. Unlike our old Easyup, when you fold it up you have to take the top off. We thought that might be an ordeal but actually is easy. Doesn't take us any time at all to put up or take down. Seems very substantial. We have not encountered rain yet. That will be the true test. Greg's extentions on the legs get it high enough over the UHaul so it doesn't seem dark at all. We like the 13'...makes a difference.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #10

New York
Jane, do you anchor or tie down your canopy?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #11

South Carolina
Bob, we anchor it with stakes that came with it. Interesting...on Coleman site $209 plus shipping. We got it through Walmart with free shipping and like $138. Pays to shop around.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #12

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
J&G, Could you give more info on your PVC legs?
I was looking to do something like you did but never got around to do anything with it. Thanks!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

South Carolina
Hi Shawn...I bought four 3" diameter precut PVC that were each 2 ft long. One foot up I drilled holes through each pipe and then put bolts and nuts through them. At bottom drilled two holes to stake to ground. After we had the canopy up I slipped each canopy pole in the PVC pipeline then drilled holes through each canopy pole and through the PVC pipe to give it extra sturdiness. We line those holes up and put the second set of nuts and bolts in each time we set up. (This second set of bolts probably isn't necessary, but they really stabilize it.). Very easy and simple process, but raises it a foot and gives plenty of height above the camper. Hope this makes sense....Greg. PS...of course, Jane thought it necessary to spray paint the PVC pipe to match the canopy poles. I was not surprised.