Outdoor Furniture - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
Name: Teri
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Just got back from a week in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and used one of the Coleman director style chair with side table and liked it. Also have an older canvas bag chair that I've had forever that works well. Had been using the old stand by aluminum web chair and was looking for something a little more compact. The ones we have are pretty old (aluminum tubing arm rests) and could use some new webbing.

Had one of the bag chairs with foot rest and it broke on the third weekend trip. No more of those for me.

teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Any chair that offers a firm seat and back support is acceptable. The old web type did work good, albeit a bit big folded.

The worse is those darn cheap sling chairs. The most uncomfortable way to sit, period.

I have gone through quite a few different chairs over the years, and most were not too bad. Lots of different strengths, from compact size, to light weight, to ease of use, and of course comfort.

Our latest chair purchase was based on size, as it stores way easier, and is nice to take along on a canoe trip. What we ended up buying were Kermit Chairs. These chairs are a bit on the pricey side, but if you are a fan of well crafted, quality workmanship, these live up to it. They pack real small (4"x6"x22"), and are very comfortable in use. Their normal height is between a beach chair and a regular chair, and with leg extensions become full height. The optional (though expensive too) drink holders work great, though we do use lightweight aluminum stools as coffee tables most times.

The only real drawback (other than the cost) is that it takes near a minute to set up if packed away. Once set up, it then can be stowed temporarily like any folding chair.

I decided a week before heading out on a 2 1/2 week trip this year that I wanted a couple, and really did not think they would make it to Calgary from Nashville in time. I phoned instead of risking emailing, and got a call back from Tom (the owner) less than an hour later. He was not in the shop, but up at a motorcycle rally in Montreal, but did call his shipping guy to make sure he processed our order ASAP, and we received the chairs 4 days later, in plenty time for our trip. Now, that is good service.

The Kermit Chair was made popular by motorcycle touring folk, primarily the BMW crowd.

How to unpack a Kermit Chair - YouTube

2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #17
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
My flexibility has suffered some as of late and I find the soft, sling type chairs comfortable but hard to get out of. I tend to roll sideways out of them onto the ground and then get up. A little hard on my sense of decorum.

I've gone the director-chair-with-side-table route. I look for two things in my choice: One is that the back rest slants back some. The vertical backs tend to get uncomfortable for me after sitting in them for a bit but the slanted back chairs are more tolerable.

Secondly, it should have the recess in the table for the pop (soda?) to nestle in. A larger diameter one to accommodate a cozy. Campfires inevitably involve schooching around to let more members into the circle and the recess helps minimize tip-overs of the pop while relocating the chair. If the chair is comfy, you can add a recess with a insert from Walmart, a hole saw/jig saw and some hot melt glue to hold it in place.

The down side of these chairs is that the side tables are usually cheap pressboard and don't like being out in the dew as they'll delaminate over the years.

I was tempted by a chair where the table part could swung around from the side to in front of you for chowing down (Camping World chair) but the mechanism to enable that was too flimsy for my tastes. I hope they improve it since I think it's kinda slick.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette
The first two chairs we purchased after getting the Scamp were the Camping world directors chairs with side tray. These proved to be good all around chairs, sight and comfortable for sitting short periods of time. They are not lounging friendly though due to their height. We then wanted some more comfortable lounge friendly type chairs. When I was young I used banana loungers that purpose. I even slept on them on occasion. Recently I saw them at Wal Mart and gave one a test. It was Horribly uncomfortable! Forty five years have changed the way I perceive comfort! Camping World sells many articulated zero gravity type loungers, but while better than the old banana, were all lacking in some way. I then followed Donna's recommendation and checked out a Lafuma lounger. It worked smoothly, was comfortable, and well made. I picked up two of them. The neck pillow was too flat for me, so I made plumper ones filled with a cut down memory foam pillow. I hauled the new super comfy Lafumas on our recent trip to Moab. We camped two nights going, 7 nights there, and 2 nights coming home, and not once did we have enough time to LOUNGE. We were always on the go! The chairs were expensive, and bulky to store. They had to be put in at night to deter theft. Perhaps we should have left them at home on that trip. I'll try them again on a more leisurely trip. Leisure? Whassthat? Someday I'm really gonna retire too.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking Heavy, Cumbersome, and Expensive...

Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Over the past two seasons I've went through 3 of those inexpensive collapsible chairs that come in a canvas bag from Walt-mart. Although they don't weigh much or take up much space they have left me wanting at inopportune times... What else are people using that I might want to look at?
Light, inexpensive, and space-saving not working out for you? I went in the opposite direction... Heavy and cumbersome, but oh soooo comfortable. I already had them and just had to figure out how to put them to use. They'd be expensive to replace though...

Do you tow with a Honda Odyssey?
Attached Thumbnails
000_0526_small.jpg   robert 2.jpg  

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote