Outside door and glass cleaners anyone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #1

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Outside door and glass cleaners anyone?

Just wondering what folks have used for cleaning the hard water stains from the shiny black door's and windows on our units? I've tried simple fixes to no avail, but-I'm hoping I can~ make it better! Thanks much!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
try this....

and if doesn't work let me know because I have yet to find a surface that doesn't come out spotless using such products....I use it everywhere, on everything...in my trailer and in my house...(call me "addicted"...)
Attached Thumbnails
lys.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
With hard water you can either have surface stains or the glass could actually be etched.

I've read where people have removed surface stains using everything from toothpaste to the cream used for glass stove tops.

Where the glass is actually etched, you'd need to use something like a rubbing compound and it might require professional help depending on your comfort level and skills.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Barkeepers friend and water on a cloth, it cuts thru the hard water stains and leaves a clean looking window.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
With hard water you can either have surface stains or the glass could actually be etched.

I've read where people have removed surface stains using everything from toothpaste to the cream used for glass stove tops.

Where the glass is actually etched, you'd need to use something like a rubbing compound and it might require professional help depending on your comfort level and skills.
If the glass is actually etched there's nothing you can do because it is in the glass. We bought a brand new motorhome and the dealer had washed it but didn't rinse it. The sun etched the spots into the windshield and all the windows. We had to have a new windshield put in. The glass dealer tried all they could to fix it but once waterspots have etched the glass there's no fixing it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Vinegar, a micro fibercloth (such as the ones from the auto parts store) and generous amount of elbow grease will likely do the job.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Vinegar, a micro fibercloth (such as the ones from the auto parts store) and generous amount of elbow grease will likely do the job.
This will work if the glass is not etched. Etched means the spot has actually taken off some of the glass finish and you can't refill the hole so to speak.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You may want to talk to a window glazer. Someone who installs glass in home windows. They use Cerium powder to remove hard water etching from home windows. It doesn't work on automotive windshields (but it does on the other windows) because the windshield has different DOT requirements.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:38 AM   #9

Florida
Talking door/window cleaner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
and if doesn't work let me know because I have yet to find a surface that doesn't come out spotless using such products....I use it everywhere, on everything...in my trailer and in my house...(call me "addicted"...)
Thank you Franswa! I'll be sure to try it!!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #10

Florida
door/window cleaner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You may want to talk to a window glazer. Someone who installs glass in home windows. They use Cerium powder to remove hard water etching from home windows. It doesn't work on automotive windshields (but it does on the other windows) because the windshield has different DOT requirements.
Thanks much Donna D....i'll keep that in mind, for sure!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #11

Florida
door/window cleaner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
This will work if the glass is not etched. Etched means the spot has actually taken off some of the glass finish and you can't refill the hole so to speak.
Good ole VINEGAR! Microfiber cloth...got cha! Thanks Jan Todd!