Paint for shower area - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
The shower of my 83 Fiber Stream has the back and side wall of just painted fiberglass. It is not smooth gelcoat. I would like to repaint this area. Any suggestions of a paint that is suitable but not too much bad fumes when applying?

Thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
The shower of my 83 Fiber Stream has the back and side wall of just painted fiberglass. It is not smooth gelcoat. I would like to repaint this area. Any suggestions of a paint that is suitable but not too much bad fumes when applying?

Thanks
I think you will have to choose between "suitable" and something not requiring ventilation.
If you want permanent and durable you should consider a two part epoxy paint,since it is in the shower area. Maybe someone else here will have better news.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #3

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
The shower of my 83 Fiber Stream has the back and side wall of just painted fiberglass.
My 1978 Fiber Stream entire shell interior is the same way. I have patched some holes in the fiberglass that are in my closet with red bondo and painted over it with a white enamel. I don't remember it having too much of an odor while applying it, and definitely no odor after a day drying, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the brand. Ask at the paint store if they have a "low VOC" enamel.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Steve,

With the limited use the shower in a little camper gets I think a premium latex enamel - gloss or semi-gloss, would work just fine. I'm not sure what they were painted with in the first place but a few coats of Kilz and and enamel would be really sturdy.

I glued foam insulation to the exterior walls and painted with Kilz and semi-gloss. 10-15 showers and 5,000 miles and no problems so far.

A two part epoxy applied with a brush or foam roller would work well. Open all the doors and windows and set up a fan to blow out the door. That paint is very durable but very expensive, I'd rather repaint with latex every so often...

I pulled the shower pan and sprayed with appliance epoxy - not an inside job. After cure no odor.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
If the area you want to paint are straight walls, maybe just modify some plastic panels for an inexpensive shower wall system (that you'd buy for your tub in the house). They even come with curved corner sections. Or you can purchase FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) in home improvement stores that could be cut to fit?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #6

California
Registry
Quote:
If the area you want to paint are straight walls, maybe just modify some plastic panels for an inexpensive shower wall system (that you'd buy for your tub in the house). They even come with curved corner sections. Or you can purchase FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) in home improvement stores that could be cut to fit?
Pam,
We thought about doing this. The compound curves of the Fiber Stream bathroom made seams, edging, and sealing real issues. The walls curve into the ceiling and the corners are rounded. The potential for major leaks led us to use glued on foam.

Hopefully you can see the curves and the seaming we had to do on the Stream. It helped that I had some experience cutting panels for spinnakers .

Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom_corner.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	27966

There was nothing wrong with the painted fiberglass - we wanted insulation. The bathroom was always the hottest or coldest part of the trailer. If insulation is not an issue then good paint would work fine.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #7

Name: Pamela
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Tom,
What kind of foam did you use and what kind of adhesive? It looks great. I may need to do something like that down the line for our Fiber Stream, too. (WAY down the line; lots of other projects with a higher priority right now.)
Thanks,
Pamela
Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

California
Registry
Quote:
What kind of foam did you use and what kind of adhesive?
Pamela,

I used a 1/4" sheet foam similar to Ensolite ACF. Very dense and firm. 1/4" on the walls and 1/2" (doubled) on the ceiling. I put it up with Weldwood contact cement. Harry Young said there might be some problems with UV deterioration down the road. It laminated and stuck well when brush applied. I tried using 3M spray adhesive but evidently didn't have the 'touch' - it wouldn't stick....

I bought the foam at Cypress Foam in Santa Ana, CA. Mary was the sales person and a great help. They carry several different brands and we were going with the Ensolite ACF when Mary suggested a foam that was as dense but 2/3 the cost.

Three coats of Kilz and three coats of Behr Premium Semi-gloss and we are happy with the results.

When you decide to do it post or PM and I'll give you what info I have and some tips that may help with the installation. Streamers have to stick together....

Tags
paint, painting