Paint Prep - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a link to the stuff Gene Layton applied when he went to Alaska with his Casita:
Trailer protection, Going to Alaska or snow country?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tirah, don't know if you read the topic Benita started about paint jobs, but when you get your trailer all painted, sure hope you'll contribute a picture to the topic:

Paint Jobs, Real and Imagined. (Not a How To thread)

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
Tirah, don't know if you read the topic Benita started about paint jobs, but when you get your trailer all painted, sure hope you'll contribute a picture to the topic:

Paint Jobs, Real and Imagined. (Not a How To thread)

Hey Donna,

Thanks for that link to that trailer-bra stick-on stuff. That looks like the perfect solution for protecting the paint.

I'll definitely contribute to the paint scheme thread. It will be fun to show off the trailer when it doesn't look so much like an old outhouse anymore.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #24

Trailer: Trillium
I`ve done some custom paint when I was a little younger. The advice I`ve read here about pre cleaning with a silicon remover and degreaser is something you should follow...especially around any mouldings. I don`t know if you had it since new, but products like armour all have been a real nightmare for me (people using these type of products to shine up the rubber moulding have made it difficult to even get tape to stick let alone paint) what are you doing for a primer? How is it for pin holes? Prep work can be very intensive depending on what result you expect. I doubt your success without sanding. (I have many hours of sanding down to 600 grit that I wish I didn`t have to do)
I can understand the matching car and trailer combo, but these frp trailers tend to be rather "wiggly"...I know mine is..(if you look down the side of your unit when it is wet and you can see "waves" in the surface, it is accentuated by a dark and shiny colour.) I`ve got lots of work to "hide" this on other frp vehicles with stripes and murals.
Good luck with it.
phil wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #25

Trailer: Burro
My 84 Burro has a lot of spiderweb cracking and a few small holes, anyone fixed anything like that before? I'm looking into painting and first want to fix it up? thanks
corey lossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=25618
bondo for big cracks, sandable marine grade caulk for holes, windows, primer for tiny spiders and pits
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=25618
Quote:
My 84 Burro has a lot of spiderweb cracking and a few small holes, anyone fixed anything like that before? I'm looking into painting and first want to fix it up? thanks
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting