paint to match original Boler colors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Now, aren't I trying to match the color that the rest of the Boler is NOW, if I am just doing touch-ups? If I scrub away at the oxidation, as per all these wonderful tips, will it all return to the original color, or stay this slightly faded version? Sounds like bleaching your teeth to match a crown, but they will never likely be that color again! Thanks for all the tips!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #16

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well that's your choice. But if you match the oxidized color and then you ever buff or sand it back to the "real" color, you'll have light colored patches that don't match.

But if you plan to keep the trailer in the oxidized condition, then you might want to match that. Then I suppose you would want to use "flat" paint also, to better match the texture.

When you scuff the area to be painted, it will probably come back to the original color... but then if you are painting over with flat, "oxidized" color, I guess it will all match up in the end. I've never done that because I've always buffed/compounded/sanded to remove the oxidation.

Raya

Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #17

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Okay, I didn't realize there was ANY hope of getting back to the original color! But if removing the oxidization will do that, then that's what I'll try. I figured it was 30 years of fading in the sun, and that's the color I was stuck with, no matter how hard I scrubbed! Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #18

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well, as I think I mentioned in my first post (or somewhere previously in the thread), there is no guarantee. The gelcoat may be too thin (if the previous owner has already compounded it, or if it just is too thin), or there may be another issue. It's hard to say for sure from here (although photos would help somewhat).

But oftentimes, you can "bring it back." I have done that on some very oxidized boats. I think that you just have to test an area on your individual camper, plus take in the camper as a whole, to see if you are able to (and want to) go that way.

Raya

PS: You may just have used the word "scrubbed" casually, but to remove oxidation will take more than cleaning, typically. Usually you need to compound or wet sand (or similar) to remove the oxidation. That's why you want to test to see if you have a thick enough gelcoat "skin" to be able to remove some. What you are actually doing then IS removing the top (damaged) "layer" of gelcoat.

Tags
boler, paint, painting