painting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
painting

Ok you f/glass experts I am reading of rolling on paint on a f/glass egg. Anyone done it I sure would like to hear your procedure!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Ok you f/glass experts I am reading of rolling on paint on a f/glass egg. Anyone done it I sure would like to hear your procedure!

bob
Start with the right kind of paint. For instance I recently learned from an expert marine professional painter that the two part polyurethane marine paint is much better for the rolling and tipping method than the one part polyurethane paints. But the one part paint is much better for spraying than the two part formulas. While people will say they have rolled and tipped with the one part apparently it is more of a struggle than it has to be. There is about a $10.00 higher price per quart for the 2 part in my local store but having tried rolling and tipping with the one part stuff and being frustrated with the result that $10.00 is money well spent.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Start with the right kind of paint. For instance I recently learned from an expert marine professional painter that the two part polyurethane marine paint is much better for the rolling and tipping method than the one part polyurethane paints. But the one part paint is much better for spraying than the two part formulas. While people will say they have rolled and tipped with the one part apparently it is more of a struggle than it has to be. There is about a $10.00 higher price per quart for the 2 part in my local store but having tried rolling and tipping with the one part stuff and being frustrated with the result that $10.00 is money well spent.
Not sure if I agree on the 2 stage vs single stage but only because I've never used it , I have however sprayed and rolled and tipped the interlux by bright side and was very impressed by the roll and tip method. There are many posts and videos here on the interlux paint and being a professional painter for the last 45 years that would be my choice for a fg trailer.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Missouri
Somewhere i read about a guy that rolls on paint on large f/glass boats i didn't see many tips.

i too like s/stage paint but i know it can be tricky. Maaco and those guys are all s/stage painters while it is not factory i seen some jobs that are very close.

thanks for the info

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #5

Missouri
I do have one question how do you keep lap marks down when using a roller on anything. i have read most painting cos. employ what they call a smoother i don't understand his position and what he does either.

i was having trouble when i paint my house inside with orange peel i finally resolved that by going to a 6in foam roller style. This smoothed out a lot of my old orange peel and made a much smoother latex paint job.

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
I do have one question how do you keep lap marks down when using a roller on anything. i have read most painting cos. employ what they call a smoother i don't understand his position and what he does either.

i was having trouble when i paint my house inside with orange peel i finally resolved that by going to a 6in foam roller style. This smoothed out a lot of my old orange peel and made a much smoother latex paint job.

bob
Bob I think you may be missing the point on tipping , with the bright side paint you roll it on with a good quality foam or lint free roller and follow that up by brushing it out (or tipping ) with a good quality oil base brush works better if you have 2 people working on it.the bright side paint has very good self leveling capabilities and if done properly will not any orange peel .
Old 10-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

Missouri
misunderstood

mike my question was how do you avoid overload or lap marks on your surface i know in commercial big painting jobs they roll the latex on and a guy follows as a smoother i have not been able to figure that out?

My comment was i have had orange peel on my walls due to using the wrong roller I now use a 5 or 6in foam roller and i get a much better smooth job and covering up my orange peel i created. It does take much longer but the job looks so much better makes it worth it i will comment paint is way much better now i guess you get what you pay for. Right?

I was curious how to avoid lap marks on a roll job of a trailer? maybe i made it too complicated.

my fault i am just wanting to learn how to do this. Another question is this a job where all the sanding masking is the majority of the work?

I think you are just not talking the job you are a pro!! I want to learn from you.

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
mike my question was how do you avoid overload or lap marks on your surface i know in commercial big painting jobs they roll the latex on and a guy follows as a smoother i have not been able to figure that out?

My comment was i have had orange peel on my walls due to using the wrong roller I now use a 5 or 6in foam roller and i get a much better smooth job and covering up my orange peel i created. It does take much longer but the job looks so much better makes it worth it i will comment paint is way much better now i guess you get what you pay for. Right?

I was curious how to avoid lap marks on a roll job of a trailer? maybe i made it too complicated.

my fault i am just wanting to learn how to do this. Another question is this a job where all the sanding masking is the majority of the work?

I think you are just not talking the job you are a pro!! I want to learn from you.

bob
Bob the best advice is to use the best materials for the project. The best painter using poor paint or paint not suited to the job will result in a poor finish . The BrightSide by interlux is probably the best paint as most who have used it can attest is the best product for use on a fg trailer .it may not compare to a high priced paint job at a automotive paint shop and the colors and finishes will be limited but it will come close.there are a number of videos here and some boat forums on how best to use it and it is not all that difficult .The most important
Thing is the prep ,make sure the trailer is cleaned of all residue and a solid base ,no spot priming with different colors it should be uniform or primed all one color. Another tip is to use a small air cup gun to use for all the tight areas were it is difficult to get a roller and brush to and to cut in against taped areas ,it will flow together with your rolled and brushed areas nicely. Another tip would maybe to practice on an area such as the door to see how it works for you and also remember the temperatures are fluctuating this time of year will play a part as to the thinners you will need. You will probably need 4 quarts if you are doing 2 colers or three if you are doing 1 but that could very on the cooler you use.
Good luck with it and hope to see your fabulous results here when you are done.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #9

Missouri
I am 75 I don't know if I can do this or want to attempt it but that doesn't mean I want to learn. Everything you have posted I have put in my memory and noted doesn't mean I wont attempt it. oh did I say serious back-surgery getting over at 75 no fun!

bob
Old 11-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Bob,

I painted our Scamp using the marine paint purchased from Amazon and employed the roll and tip method. You can read about our reno project here and the painting report begins at post #249. We decided to make Ziggy a two-tone paint job with cream over red and we used Rustoleum Topside. It worked very well and I was very pleased with the results. It took three coats to completely cover the FG and the paint can expressed the characteristics of "excellent leveling" on the front of the label. I can attest to the ability of this paint to self-level and hide the roller marks and overlaps. The finish job was very nice with some excellent shine.

Did the final paint job look as good and an automotive job? No. However, it was light years better than the very faded gel-coat that Ziggy was suffering with and we would recommend this paint to anyone thinking of trying to do it themselves. We priced the paint job at an automotive shop with a good reputation here in town and it would have been over $3,000 including touching up my attempts to seal fiberglass holes and leaks. That would have provided a Cadillac finish on our VW like trailer so we opted for the VW like paint job. It took me four days of prep work and four days of painting to complete three coats. There wasn't much tipping but I always painted with a the roller in one hand that the brush I the other to be ready. I missed a few spots that should have been tipped but they set so fast, before I saw them, because I was painting in our driveway in the sun. Also, the bugs loved to come along and get into the paint so I was left to try and pick them out as I was painting. Best thing was that the temperature of the day I put the final coat on was much cooler so the bugs were a lot slower to get into the mix. (Freakin' little creeps!)

This was my first time at painting anything large that wasn't a house/garage and it went very well. Could I have done a better job? Sure, but I wasn't interested in renting a storage building or trying to cover the job with a plastic shed, etc.

It's not a hard job and as someone has mentioned earlier, preparation is always the key to success. Good luck with your project.

P.S. I started on the rock guard to practice my technique and I felt much better working on the trailer after I'd finished the rock guard because I knew what to expect from the paint.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Great topic for me at this time.
I have ordered a gallon of 4359 Bright side for our boler.
I sprayed it in 2003 with an industrial paint and after many great memories its time
for a new shine.
I'm a great house painter with a roller so we'll see how any of that skill will transfer.
I look forward to reading all posts on the subject.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #12

Missouri
how

fred are you going to spray again?

bob
Old 11-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you go to youtube and use the keywords "roll and tip marine paint" you will find video instruction for this method. If pictures are worth a thousand words imagine what videos are worth All will be made clear to you.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #14

Missouri
paint

fred are you going to paint again?

thanks

bob

Tags
paint, painting