Painting black frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Topic says it all.

Which stays clean and lasts the longest? What do they typically use on new frames nowadays, besides powder coating?

Not that it matters that much... but just wonderin'.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1970 Boler
i like flat, cracks seem to be easier to spot
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I first scraped it all down with a wire brush, on drill, then I used Flat Black Rust-o-lium for the frame then I used Krylon enamals for the lady-bugs. 2 nd year in service.
Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Lady_Bug_frt.JPG  
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Topic says it all.

Which stays clean and lasts the longest? What do they typically use on new frames nowadays, besides powder coating?

Not that it matters that much... but just wonderin'.

Hi: Daniel... I need to do ours again. I just paint the part outside the "SHELL" with black Matte...the rest I paint with KROWN T40 Maximum Strength Rust Inhibitor. It drips for a while so I do it on the gravel part of my driveway. This stuff will creap into places you can't get painted !!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Right, wrong, or indifferent, I've always used black glossy Rustoleum. It lasts for years, is easy to clean, and when a touch up is needed, it doesn't show after it's dried. It's inexpensive, available everywhere and it works. It's not bullet-proof though. You do have to check your frame annually and re-spray where necessary.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I use satin. Tried flat, and it picked up road dirt too bad. I tried gloss and it was too glossy for me. I ended up using brush on Rustoleum in satin and it has held up the best.

Like Roger said: right, wrong or indifferent, that's what I use.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No rules it has to be black either. For those that are looking to "Match" the tug, this is a simple enough way to do it. Paint the tongue and back bumper (and any other part of the frame that can be seen) the same color as the tug. If/when the trailer is sold, it's simple enough to paint black. Now I haven't seen this done on an egg, but have seen it done plenty of times on tear drops when pulled by a hot rod!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Quote:
No rules it has to be black either. For those that are looking to "Match" the tug, this is a simple enough way to do it. Paint the tongue and back bumper (and any other part of the frame that can be seen) the same color as the tug. If/when the trailer is sold, it's simple enough to paint black. Now I haven't seen this done on an egg, but have seen it done plenty of times on tear drops when pulled by a hot rod!

Ya, mine underneath the trailer is flat black and the exposed area (tongue) is painted to match the lower half of my trailer.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Years back i used to paint all my frames Bright Red..... It really looked sharp. I may have to try it again and if i do i will post it
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1700
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Al Nelson
Like she says, "Why does it have to be black?" Most of my many RVs came originaly with the frames beige, the same color as the body. I have always done mine with Tremco RV White rust paint. Looks a lot more classy than black and much easier to spot cracks.
Al
Al Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
I use satin. Tried flat, and it picked up road dirt too bad. I tried gloss and it was too glossy for me. I ended up using brush on Rustoleum in satin and it has held up the best.
Interesting... I hadn't even considered this option.

Interesting ideas... Thanks to all for the feedback so far.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Daniel,
SEM's Trim Black, item # 39144. Available at automotive paint stores. Brush-on and spray. I usually purchase both so that even hard-to-get-at spots get painted. Satin appearance and designed specifically for frames.
I've used it for several years, on both car and trailer frames. It is currently on our Casita frame. It has proven to be a tough, weather resistant finish when subjected to both desert and mountain, all season environments.

Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
SEM's Trim Black, item # 39144. [...] It has proven to be a tough, weather resistant finish when subjected to both desert and mountain, all season environments.
Thanks for the info, Kurt!

Would you say SEM's Trim Black is fairly equivalent to Rustoleum satin?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Daniel,
Over the years I've used many Rustoleum paints, but never tried satin.
The SEM paint that I applied 4 years ago to the (then) new tongue on "Nuestra Casita" & the rest of the frame is still rust free & the finish looks about the same.
Today my wife bought another can of SEM trim black spray (Item #39143) to paint washers, nuts and bolt heads for another project. The price was $10.99 + tax.
This seems to be another case of "getting what you pay for"! It works for us.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
So have any of you thought about using the SEM undercoating and then trim out the tongue and bumper with the black paint???

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
My frame is in good solid shape but the surface is pitted in areas. After blasting it clean I used the Rustoleum Hammered Dark Bronze. The hammer finish blends the surface irregularities nicely.

Rob
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
So have any of you thought about using the SEM undercoating and then trim out the tongue and bumper with the black paint???
Hi: Thats what I do...only with Krown Aerosol undercoating and TremClad (Canajun) version of Rustolium EH!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2001 4wd 6cyl Silverado
I had to remove the gray water tank on my scamp 5th, it had a crack on top, from side to side, someone gave me an old boat aluminum fuel tank, Iam in the process of altering it for my camper, or pay 165.00 for a new one from scamp, when I dropped the tank, I noticed the frame had little or no paint, so Iam sanding, and using Oshpho, tradename for phosphoric acid as a primer, and some leftover duplicolor Bed liner paint I used from a previous project, and I will roll it on, or brush it, who knows? it might turn out okay Paul
Paul and Libby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I touch-up my frame as needed with Black Aerosol Rustoleum Hammered finish. I pretreat with Phosphoric Plus (liquid naval gelly). Both available at the Home Depot within walking distance of my house.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckH
Talking

Used POR 15 on my old Casita, just wire brush and applywith paint brush. Use WITH gloves ( it has to wear off your hands) and put cardboard down on the driveway. Very long lasting and on areas not exposed to sunshine, most of the frame, it does not have to be top coated. Exposed areas must be though and I used a bronze hammer finish and it looked black and hammer finish nicely blended in with uneven finish.
Chuck
ChuckH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting