Painting Ensolite - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Surfside
Suggestions on what kind of paint to use on ensolite????

Old 07-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Jason, I searched using +paint +ensolite and found:
Painting Fiberglass Interior, Redoing a previously painted (badly) Trillium

Alf's post - good quality Acrylic Latex Kitchen/Bath paint tinted

I know there's a bunch more. The search function on FiberglassRV works very well.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #3

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Quote:
Hi,
I used latex primer and latex paint, whatever I had left over from painting the house. It was very easy, and looks good! And the inside of my boler is now the same color as my dining room!
Marjie
Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Primed with Kilz, followed by one coat of 1 Shot sign paint. Came out nice, only been on a week, but got the idea from Billy in PEI who is a sign painter by trade and had his done for a few years before I seen it.

Roy
Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Exclamation

Hi Jason,
I just primed and painted my 13' scamp which is a 1980......Awesome! I used the Zinsser primer which was suggested to me through this forum. Thanks for that. Then I used the Valspar Satin. It is so nice. It's soft, not hard from the paint and it looks great. I used the paintable caulking on the seams which was the best thing ever. It is smooth and the seams are hardly noticeable. I am more than happy to send pic's if you'd like. But, this site is great and full of awesome advice. I was originally going to remove it....not good!
Good luck!

Quote:
Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I prep'd it with Clorox and TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate). The Clorox kills the mildew in the pores and the TSP is an excellent de-greaser.

Then I primed with two coats of white KILZ and top coated with three coats of white polyurethane enamel. The enamel was formulated for floors, but the Scamp doesn't know the difference. It all came from the local Home Depot.

Interestingly I also bought the best brush at HD for enamel -- but found a cheap chip brush actually worked better at getting the paint into all the little depressions in the ensolite.

For ventilation I had already removed a broken top vent, so I just placed a 20 inch box fan on top of the trailer over the vacant vent.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Surfside
Newbie question ahead..... Is ensolite the popcorn looking material or the more smooth material? My 79 Surfside has the popcorn like material that needs some repair and paint. Can this be painted in the same fashion you you guys are suggesting here?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Surfside
Quote:
Newbie question ahead..... Is ensolite the popcorn looking material or the more smooth material? My 79 Surfside has the popcorn like material that needs some repair and paint. Can this be painted in the same fashion you you guys are suggesting here?

Wade- Mine is kinda bubbly, but not overly textured. The painting has gone very well. I need to put a second coat on, but using latex is a dream because it still allows the ensolite to "squish" when you press it, sit against it etc.

Tags
paint, painting