Painting Ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Boler
I have read alot on painting ensolite. As I understand the process is
1) Wash with TSP
2) Prime with something like Kilz oil based primer
3) Paint with a good latex paint

I have seen posts where people talk about peeling paint. I have seen people talk about Vinyl paint. I just want to do it right and have the paint stay on. I got lucky and found that my 75 boler fits in my garage so now I have lots of time to do it up right. Can you please tell me how the paint jobs are holding out. Thanks
Roy Kleiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Just did ours with a good primer and finish,both latex.So far so good.Did the same scrub that you indicated.
Rick Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I used Zinsser Perma White paint. It's self priming. http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductId=35

It's held up great for years, there are a few spots where it needs touch up because I've scrapped the wall with something.

I think in all paint jobs prep it the most important step.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I used Kilz2 latex primer followed by CIL kitchen and bath latex paint. It turned out well, although it's only been a month or so.

Don't forget to rinse after cleaning with TSP. A wipe down with clean water will do.
ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #5

has anyone tried the krylon plastic / pvc paint ?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I can't check it till it gets out of storage for the winter. So far it's held up 2 seasons. Like Lizbeth touch ups are required where the've been scraped, like where the dog has scratched at the door.

I used One shot sign paint, I imagine it would be similar to Krylon but probably a bit cheaper in the long run. The sheen can be toned down to an egshell if desired. If using Kilz, I'd suggest the premium and do 2 coats that would allow a single coat of the final to look better while using less.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We bought a Scamp that was structurally solid but badly in need of cosmetic work and non-structure repairs. The ensolite was sticky, we think because someone had cleaned it with the wrong cleaner. No choice but to replace or paint.

We hired an experienced auto painter to spray the inside. We did all the prep and bought the auto paint and additives he recommended, paid him just for his labor. I think he gave it two coats. Not cheap (about $250 for all if my memory is correct), but it is BEA-U-TIFUL! It's been 3 or 4 years now and not one problem.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:

Isn't Ensolite fabric? A plastic paint might not adhere. But they do make fabric paints which would not build up as it really only dyes the fabric. hmmmmmm, wonder if that would work?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ensolite is more of a vinyly type thing (definitely not fabric).

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I have read alot on painting ensolite.
Maybe you've already made your decision, but here's another take on this: do you really need to paint it? Unless it's damaged, in many cases a good scrub with a bathroom-type cleaner with bleach does a miraculous job.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Forgot to mention that I did two coats of KILZ2 latex and two coats of latex paint.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but my Ensolite appears to have been painted in the factory. I came across a spot behind the closet that was coated in silver primer (there was overspray on the wheelwell), and when I scrubbed hard on the white I would uncover this primer underneath.

Perhaps Scamp could provide some info on the paint that they used.
ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Ensolite is more of a vinyly type thing (definitely not fabric).

Thanks Raya, I was thinking rat fur........... Head cold! Ick! My brain is on cruz control.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #13

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
I tried it two years ago on a plastic outdoor planter. It has stayed out for the winter - and we get -40C weather. It's held up fantastic - no peeling, discoloration, chipping, fading (well, I used WHITE). I love it!
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Maybe you've already made your decision, but here's another take on this: do you really need to paint it? Unless it's damaged, in many cases a good scrub with a bathroom-type cleaner with bleach does a miraculous job.
Agreed! I managed to take 5 layers of crap off my ensolite (2 kinds of paint, rubber cement, silicone, etc.) and it looks as good as the day it was installed. I used every solvent and cleaner known to man, and it held up through all of it.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I have read alot on painting ensolite. As I understand the process is
1) Wash with TSP
2) Prime with something like Kilz oil based primer
3) Paint with a good latex paint

I have seen posts where people talk about peeling paint. I have seen people talk about Vinyl paint. I just want to do it right and have the paint stay on. I got lucky and found that my 75 boler fits in my garage so now I have lots of time to do it up right. Can you please tell me how the paint jobs are holding out. Thanks
I don't recommend painting - but that's because I ended up having to remove someone else's paint job. I think a lot of the success depends on where you live, too. I know that sounds odd, but I live in a place where the weather goes below -40C, and not all paint will stand up on a pliant surface at those temperatures (the paint, the primer, and the ensolite all shrink and expand at different rates). This may not be a problem in more temperate climates. I know of people who have had problems with peeling and cracking vinyl flooring in our region, too - the flooring and the floor glue shrink and expand at different temperatures. Something to think about.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
No amount of scrubbing made mine clean enough to live with. I tried different spray cleaners, degreasers, and TSP........and plenty of water and soap, remember I used the hose in mine. If I had had a power washer at the time I would have tried that!

I have used the Krylon Fusion plastic paint to paint the inside of the frig (it was gross too), it has held up fairly well for those conditions. There are a few scrapes where things have rubbed as we go down the road.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #17

I did a test patch in the closet with this stuff
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinyl.html
It seems to stick good and flexes well. It does not seem to scratch. I also have been cleaning and scrubbing and the comments about cleaning are also true. I guess I'm still on the fence. There are a few places I would like a little whiter.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #18

I ended up painting the ensolite this weekend. The product seems to do what is says. It took alot of coats and my estimate for a boler would be 12 to 15 cans. I wouldn't even try this unless you have a respirator and in a very well ventilated area. It looks good. For the seams I used the 2 sided tape and gave the sticky side a light spray to take the sticky off. I won't go off and recommend this yet because it has yet to go through the test of time. It does not seem like a painted surface. Its just seems like the original ensolite but much whiter.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks, Roy,

I always appreciate it when someone follows up on a thread/project. Nice of you to keep us posted

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Cool

Quote:
Thanks, Roy,

I always appreciate it when someone follows up on a thread/project. Nice of you to keep us posted

Raya

Roy did you use some type of primer with that spray paint, or did you just prep it with a wipe down of accetone/ or something else? And did you spray over a painted ensolite? or just the original installed covering, thanks suger
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting