painting ensolite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
painting ensolite

OK< got it primed today. switched from 5 inch foam roller to a brush. It is just primer so not a big deal, but painting this stuff is odd. Any TIPS on painting ensolite would be so appreciated. Do you have to worry about putting on too much paint? getting consistent coverage seems elusive to me.

Thanks, love this group and CAN"T wait for our first trip.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Google is your friend.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ensolite&sa=Go
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

North Carolina
well there you go....lots of info. I was nervous, thinking, on no, hope I have not already made a huge mistake, But washed it down with Tilex which is a TSP kind of clean, different stuff, but I think I killed everything. Primed with the only prime I will ever use...Zinser [sp?] I guess my fear was putting to much paint on the ensolite, but I guess this is not a concern. Thanks, love this site. May need to learn how to use it better.....

Jeff
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #4

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
Painting ensolite is a sin...

I am a Trilliumaire - I can go camping anytime, any place, anywhere.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodre View Post
Painting ensolite is a sin...
Oh phew... depends on if it's caulked to death or ripped or generally gross. We've seen plenty of stained ensolite brought back to life with a whole bunch of chemicals and elbow grease, but not everyone wants the "original" color which was white. I'm thinking a soft [color] would be grand. What color did you choose Jeff short for Jennifer ?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #6

North Carolina
painting ensolite is a sin? remember the great is the enemy of the good! my Scamp looks good!
color choice, was a soft very pale yellow, and it looks killer good with my crocodile vinyl seating and vintage upholstery fabric, Almost ready to post pictures, maiden voyage with Irish Wolfhound mix 'Boo Radley' and the Terrier 'Tater' next week, have the French Press ready to go.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

North Carolina
Painting ensolite is a sin? Remember 'the great is the enemy of the good' [somebody famous and smarter than me said that!] And our scamp is lookin' pretty darn good, will post pics soon. Have my taxidermy fix with some crocodile vinyl , vintage upholstery fabric I bought years ago and the French Press is ready for our morning coffee. Maiden voyage planned for next weekend. Will be traveling with an Irish Wolfhound mix, Boo Radley, and 'Tater' the Terrier Terrorist. It will be more than good, it will be great to have a scamp to travel with the dogs.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Oh, my this sounds like a Glamped up camper!! Crocodile vinyl, vintage seating, oh yes, a lady after my own heart! Definitely interested in seeing your photos, (Jeff? or Jennifer?) Go for it, make it whatever you want
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
I may be against ensolite painting but croc vinyl is awesome. Best wishes to you on your maiden voyage!

I am a Trilliumaire - I can go camping anytime, any place, anywhere.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #10

Name: Diane
Trailer: 1973 Play-Pac
Florida
To paint or not to paint

That is my question. The ensolite (vinyl siding) inside my 1973 Play Pac is coming apart at the seams in some places and it smells musty.
I'm trying to decide if I want to paint it or replace it.
But not sure where to go for info on either.
Help??
dianemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemm View Post
That is my question. The ensolite (vinyl siding) inside my 1973 Play Pac is coming apart at the seams in some places and it smells musty.
I'm trying to decide if I want to paint it or replace it.
But not sure where to go for info on either.
Help??

Ensolite is an entirely synthetic product. Any smell can be cleaned off. While some are not fond of the look, I don't think anything available today is a better solution. If it can be saved, I recommend the effort.
If it separates from the fibreglass, it can be carefully shaved to expose a flap of Ensolite and it can be cleaned off and re-glued.
Paint should be vinyl in nature, to match the properties of the Ensolite.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #12

Name: Diane
Trailer: 1973 Play-Pac
Florida
Thanks David. I'm thinking you are probably right. I don't see anyplace where there is water damage, but the connectors (screws?) on the seams are rusty and should be replaced. There are a couple of spots where the ensolite has pulled away from the body of the camper. What kind of glue do you suggest?
dianemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemm View Post
Thanks David. I'm thinking you are probably right. I don't see anyplace where there is water damage, but the connectors (screws?) on the seams are rusty and should be replaced. There are a couple of spots where the ensolite has pulled away from the body of the camper. What kind of glue do you suggest?
Contact cement works. I would recommend a low VOC one.

It is important to expose a flap of ensolite. Shave the Ensolite from the corner nearest the separated section. Then clean the Ensolite and the fibreglass. Next apply the contact cement to both the Ensolite and the fibreglass, and let dry. The trick is to attach the two at the corner, then the edges, then work your way to the middle. Since it is coated with vinyl, heating the Ensolite helps to make it stretchier.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #14

Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
Ensolite

Looking for a photo update, Jeff! I'm starting my ensolite project.
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
painting