Painting fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find any info regarding whether or not it's a big (and expensive) job to paint one's fiberglass trailer. By this I mean does one have to hire a professional (bake it on, etc.) and does the paint eventually wear off, etc.

I'm talking about the entire trailer, modifying the color, not just a few graphics. Anyone have any info on this? Photos?
Marjorie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here is a trailer I painted with a foam rubber roller and Tremclad Paint.
Attached Thumbnails
compact_25.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Marjorie,

You can definitely paint fiberglass. Many older fiberglass boats are painted (when the gelcoat gives up the ghost), and, indeed, many higher end boats are now painted right from the builder, and not gelcoated at all.

A top notch job will include removing all the hardware and windows, a good bit of prep and fairing, and then a sprayed two-part paint job. That won't come cheap, but will give you a fabulous job, that will last - and stay shiny - for decades, with care.

At the other end of the (reasonable) spectrum (not counting "broom" jobs), is a self-applied paint job, using something like a one-part Interlux Brightsides type paint, with only necessary prep and with taping off the windows, etc. This will do the job, although the gloss retention and hardness will be nothing like a good two-part paint. The price is a fraction though.

In between are all the possible combinations of you prepping, others painting, different types of paint, etc.

So it's kind of like saying "Can I have a suit" and then there is the range from Goodwill to a custom-made wool suit

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #4

Trailer: *Percheron
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Manley
Quote:
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't find any info regarding whether or not it's a big (and expensive) job to paint one's fiberglass trailer. By this I mean does one have to hire a professional (bake it on, etc.) and does the paint eventually wear off, etc.

I'm talking about the entire trailer, modifying the color, not just a few graphics. Anyone have any info on this? Photos?
yes its easy go to any local body shop if they dont treat you real well move on this is an easy job.hey its good enough for a corvette!!
Jim Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1300
Quote:

Hi: not sure if you paintet yet but if you follow this link
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/show....php?p=4918568 you can do it for well he did it for $50

I did my 13ft Boler for about $125. its a lot of labour esp sanding......
you can see some result\s of my tralier here.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g43/silv...ng%20the%20egg/

the trailer was all yellow.....
steve J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:

I have found a paint shop that will paint the top of my 13' Scamp. He will feather down along the sides a few inches. The reason for wanting the top, only, painted is because the sides are still in good shape (not oxidizing) but the top is. And this citizen that is past the 70 mark doesn't feel like climbing on the ladder any more to wax the top. He will paint with an automotive paint that is flexible. If the white he paints is whiter than the sides, then so be it, I can't worry about that. By the way, he is going to charge me $400. Marg in NW CA
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I have found a paint shop that will paint the top of my 13' Scamp. He will feather down along the sides a few inches. The reason for wanting the top, only, painted is because the sides are still in good shape (not oxidizing) but the top is. And this citizen that is past the 70 mark doesn't feel like climbing on the ladder any more to wax the top. He will paint with an automotive paint that is flexible. If the white he paints is whiter than the sides, then so be it, I can't worry about that. By the way, he is going to charge me $400. Marg in NW CA
Just remember, paint needs to be waxed too. Even if there's a clearcoat over the top. All things exposed to the sun will suffer UV damage. The use of wax slows the degradation down some, but bare paint will take a hit. It's no different than never waxing a tug. After a while, the paint breaks down.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
Our Boler was painted a hideous green and we sanded and painted it with Interlux Brightsides. People walk up and touch it and ask, "Did you really do this, in your driveway, with a roller?" The secret is to sand and prep really well. It will probably take longer to get it ready than to apply three coats of paint, but it's worth it.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #9

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Burro
Montana
painting a burro

Hello,
I am wanting to repaint my 81 burro, the top has received quite a bit of damage from the sun, there is some little speckling of holes on one side where it has obviously had more exposure. The holes aren't big enough to leak water or anything but I want to know what I should use to patch it, and also, what kind of paint should I use, and can you be more specific on what kind of interlux brightsides? Do I need to do any additional steps before painting?
liv2lrn_lrn2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

Name: Rhandi
Trailer: 71 compact jr
California
Sanding 71 compact jr

Hi there, total novice here, tackling a re-model of my 71 compact jr. Starting with the body and working my way in. I'm going to start sanding the body today to repaint, the previous owner had remodeled it but drilled a couple hundred holes into the body so it its watertight anymore. Living in ca that isn't really a problem but I want to do this right the first time. I gutted the trailer completely since what was left of the original walls were completely molded. I'm bracing the inside for more stability while I sand. The paint is just normal house paint so I'm only going to try to sand it down to the original paint. Planning on using the interlux bright side paint and rolling it on myself.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6730.jpg   IMG_6729.jpg  

Lachanrh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting