painting fiberglass - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Name: jared
Trailer: Trillium
painting fiberglass

The trillium I have has been painted but the paint is wearing a lot at the metal parts and some areas of the body are deteriorating. I was considering using monstaliner for the durability. I'm sure some you would cringe at the thought of this but I intend to take the trailer most everywhere I can, it has a two inch lift. Anyway, I'm not married to the idea but I am wondering if anyone has tried this. If it is a bad idea, other suggestions you might have would be appreciated. If this has come up before,point me in the right direction and I will check the other posts. I have had no success with the search engine on the site.

saltcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Jared, it all gets down to how you want it to look when you're done. The Monstaliner is a great idea if you don't mind the rough surface. Totally maintenance free and shouldn't ever chip or flake if you've prepped the surface per the instructions.

The other option is to use a single part polyurethane marine paint, like Interlux Brightside. These paints can be rolled on and "tipped" with a high quality brush for a shiney surface finish that will look like it was sprayed. Again, you'll have to prep the surface per the manufacturers instructions. You can find these paints and video instructions on the web at places like Jamestown Distributors. I suspect the Marine finishes will be more expensive than the Monstaliner by the time you're done.

Good luck. Send us pictures of the work and final results !!

SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Hi Jared, check out this link and the pictures of Jenny's and Brady's Boler completely done with DuraBak: Total Boler Restoration or go straight to the pictures here: Brady's and Jenny's Boler on Picasa

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"

That Durabak is incredible! I love what they did. I wonder if it added 100 lbs to the trailer! HA!
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
As with any paint job, preparation is key- adhesion of the top coat will be entirely dependent on the substrate it's applied to. If the paint that's on the trailer now is coming off, it will probably continue to do so if you attempt to paint over it.

Whatever you decide on as a top coat, you may have to remove the paint put on by the P.O.'s, and sand/prime the original gelcoat so as to provide a gripping surface for the new paint.

Good luck with the project!

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote