Painting the Chassis - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2006, 05:42 AM   #15
I'm also the type that has mustard stains on my shirt after hotdogs. It does help to keep it lookong good and slowing the rust.
My shirts don't seem to rust at all - have I bought the wrong type?

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #16
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Good one.
I also get my sentences in the wrong order and can't spell

james kent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #17
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 13 ft
Myron Leski asked, where can He buy Tremclad paint??? In Canada here, We get it at just about any hardware store. I got mine at Home Depot. It's made for painting rusted, and pitted metal, and needs no primer. If You can't find it at Home Depot in the good old USA, I am sure there will be something equally as good, or maybe better. Good Luck to Yves Pelchat on his project this weekend......let us all know how You made out......
John W Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #18
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
One of my first projects, after bringing our '99 Scamp to it's new home, was to inspect/repaint the frame. Most of the areas looked fairly good and free of rust. Repainted using black Rustolium spray paint. There were several areas where surface rust was evident. I wire brushed and sprayed these with 95% zinc primer followed by the Rustolium. There were a few fittings on the door of the Scamp showing rust (and leaving a rust stain down the side of the hull). I removed all the surface rust, masked these and sprayed with the 95% zinc primer. Still looking good after two seasons.

I use the same treatment on some of the steel components on my boat/trailer which is used exclusively in salt water and it holds up very well.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #19
Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Rustoleum and Tremclad do about the same job....they are both rust paints....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #20
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel 1992
I painted my frame with rustolem (sp) last weekend, just power washed off the loose
rust and painted.

Still have some paint on my toes, lol.

davidlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #21
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I painted my frame with rustolem (sp) last weekend, just power washed off the loose
rust and painted.

Still have some paint on my toes, lol.

Did you power wash your toes first?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #22
Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Ok. So It's done!

My Bigfoot's frame looks as pristine, now, as when it left the Bigfoot factory, 17 years ago. I found the frame to be in excellent shape. I've used Tremclad.

I also replaced the incandescent exterior lights with sealed LED lights. Man, those are bright When i have a few minutes, i'll take some pictures, and post them here.

Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote

paint, painting