Painting the exterior - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
sorry, forgot to add:
a high quality mohair roller is best. sand between all coats with 220 or scratch with a scotchbrite pad after a minimum 24 hour dry time.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Thanks for the input Gillian. You have rounded out this topic nicely. It looks like, according to the response to this thread, that a number of people plan to roller paint their beloved units.

The finished product - c/w hand-painted rock guard!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0903.JPG  

Old 08-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #31

Trailer: 72 Compact Jr
Registry
I love all of the great painting tips!

But I have a silly question,...if a person wants to let thier inner hippy/child loose and paint a Compact Jr say kind of like a fish bowl (you know, blue water slouching to the back because you are going fast and yellow sky then add fish and turtles here and there), could you add animals and detail on top of the main colors as long as you move fast?

Thanks
Sharyl
Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #32

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
you can do whatever you want!

I won't be following you tho
Old 08-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #33

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I love all of the great painting tips!

But I have a silly question,...if a person wants to let thier inner hippy/child loose and paint a Compact Jr say kind of like a fish bowl (you know, blue water slouching to the back because you are going fast and yellow sky then add fish and turtles here and there), could you add animals and detail on top of the main colors as long as you move fast?

Thanks
Sharyl
Sounds like painting a murial to me... I don't know how layering items would affect the outcome... would background colors bleed thru the fish and turtles?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:01 PM   #34

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
I think what you are wanting to do with the fishbowl effect is better left to airbrush painting. It it were me I would start with a white background and build up with the airbrush from there.

I'm sure there are other members more informed on the airbrush technique who will jump in and help you here.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #35

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Sounds like painting a murial to me...
Last I heard, Murial disliked having her body painted
Old 08-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #36

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001_01.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	4705
Well I started today! I'm not sure where this is headed but for now I'm peeling the old paint off of the front. The previous owner put a heavy primer on the front upper only in order to cover the original decals. Over the years as the paint shrank and weathered a line showed at the edge of the primered area. The paint peels off in strips here but is ok elswhere. I want to get the paint, primer and decals off so as to start fresh and not end up with the same mess. Looks like a bigger job than I expected. If I can clean this all up this fall and have the trailer sanded, then I hope to repaint in the spring....Fun and games
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0002_01.jpg  
Old 08-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #37

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
previous owner
...those can be curse words james!
i've owned trailers where the p.o. went goop crazy and ALWAYS went with a half-done crappy fix; its so frustrating as it takes twice as long; first undo thier mess, then finally complete a simple nice repair.
this doesn't look too bad, just a really unneccesary pain in the ...
at least he stopped with the front!
i'm very jealous of your molded rock guard if thats any consolation.
just bust on through this annoying job and sing a merry tune about how much you love the p.o.; that's what i do..
the great thing about fg is that there is rarely a timeline, it will be waiting for you in the spring with no harm done, unlike a canned ham
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #38

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken James View Post
>>>>snip>>>
She used a quality small roller loaded with Brightside Interlux Marine Enamel. It took 3 coats but I think you'll agree it is almost as good as the body shop. That paint flows nicely and doesn't leave roller marks. Cost $130 Canadian and a lot of humility on my part.
I'm nearing the point of painting my Trillium Jubilee and I'm in Mississauga Ontario, Canada so, please, tell, where did you buy the paint and how many litres of it have you used?
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #39

Ontario
I hope he checks in but the last activity by Ken James was back in 2008, so I will try to answer your question as best I can....
I used 3 ltr of primer [2 coats] and 4 ltr of Brightsides 3 coats] which I purchased from Heritage Marine in London, Ont. I followed their instructions which were similar to the method Ken described. Use a small foam roller and roll it out fully. This brings up some very small bubbles which you gently wisk with a very fine, dry brush. A light sanding between coats helps the paint to adhere better and removes runs and any drips.
Although it has now been over 4 years since the trailer was painted it still looks great.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #40

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
I hope he checks in but the last activity by Ken James was back in 2008, so I will try to answer your question as best I can....
I used 3 ltr of primer [2 coats] and 4 ltr of Brightsides 3 coats] which I purchased from Heritage Marine in London, Ont. I followed their instructions which were similar to the method Ken described. Use a small foam roller and roll it out fully. This brings up some very small bubbles which you gently wisk with a very fine, dry brush. A light sanding between coats helps the paint to adhere better and removes runs and any drips.
Although it has now been over 4 years since the trailer was painted it still looks great.
Thanks a lot. What primer have you used? Epoxy type paints tend to cure quickly... how much time have you allowed between the coats? I'm kind of thinking that since you did light sanding between the coats, they were fully cured so, there is no real time limits. Just not sure...
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #41

Ontario
Wow! that was back in 2006, and my memory forgets yesterday real fast.
I used an epoxy primer recomended by the distributor and since I was working outside in the driveway without a roof overhead the timing was dictated by the weather. I gave the top three coats and used the trailer for a week and then gave it two coats on the bottom half. The final coat on the bottom was actually done the following spring. I think that there is still about half of a litre out in garage on a shelf somwhere that I can use for touch ups.
Attached Thumbnails
487.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #42

Name: Heath
Trailer: Compact Jr
Ohio
if you look up INTERLUX on youtube it has several good video demonstrations. verry helpfull. I plan to paint mine with this some day when I get time

Tags
paint, painting