Painting the exterior - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #61

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ken has/had been ill for quite sometime. I'm thinking it's possible he's "crossed the bridge."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #62

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Sorry to hear that , I did know that he was ill. Ken was a good friend that I never met in person. When I went to Alaska from NY in 2005, we talked via computer every couple of days or so. He told me places to see and roads to take through Canada and up into Alaska. Plus I learned a lot about making a front Dinette from him. TW
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #63

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ken has/had been ill for quite sometime. I'm thinking it's possible he's "crossed the bridge."
That is so sad. It was through reading Ken,s postings and his answers to questions that I got the encouragement to go ahead and do the necessary work on the trailer. I hope he will aways be here in the Legacy Posts.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #64

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One of the best parts of FiberglassRV (IMHO) is the archive of information. I'm not certain about Ken's status and hope I haven't stated something that's simply not true. But we know others have gone on to the "marvelous camping spot" and their words will be part of FiberglassRV, as long as it exists.

Ya gotta love the wealth of information to be found!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #65

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
California
I am now finishing up the restoration of my 1988 13' Bigfoot trailer and would like to get rid of the old blue tape or paint that is on the exterior. It was a design detail but is now faded and doesn't look good. I don't really want to re-paint it (or the whole exterior for that matter) and would even get rid of the Bigfoot name, which you can hardly see any more. Any suggestions on how to clean up the outside of these racing type stripes and logo?
Also, I have decided to use car wax as suggested by Donna and a rubbing compound for cleaning and polishing the exterior Gelcoat rather than the acrylic fillers like Poly Glo. Any thoughts on this?
stolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #66

Name: Brayden
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolmaker
I am now finishing up the restoration of my 1988 13' Bigfoot trailer and would like to get rid of the old blue tape or paint that is on the exterior. It was a design detail but is now faded and doesn't look good. I don't really want to re-paint it (or the whole exterior for that matter) and would even get rid of the Bigfoot name, which you can hardly see any more. Any suggestions on how to clean up the outside of these racing type stripes and logo?
Also, I have decided to use car wax as suggested by Donna and a rubbing compound for cleaning and polishing the exterior Gelcoat rather than the acrylic fillers like Poly Glo. Any thoughts on this?
Go to any AUTOBODY supply store and ask for a stripe eraser wheel
You can put it in your drill and it won't wreck the paint
The only thing it may do is leave a cloud Thant can be waxed or polished out
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #67

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
A heat gun & a razor blade scraper works too, although you want to be pretty careful not to dig into the paint with the blade. That's the way we've normally removed decals at the bodyshops where I've worked. Whether you use a wheel or scraper / heatgun combo, you'll still have some residue to clean up, with paint thinner.
As for cleaning & polishing, So long as you use a decent polishing compound & don't "burn" it into the gelcoat, you should be OK. As for Wax, carnauba wax is my personal favourite. Better than Turtle wax type products.
Sounds like you're on the right track! good luck....
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #68

Name: MJ
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Where do you buy the paint in Alberta?

Wow! This is just what I am looking for. Where do you buy the paint? Can you get the paint tinted? What grain of sandpaper was used? How long since you painted and how is it wearing?

Also, did you have to take any old decals off; if so, how is this done?
Margie Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #69

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Here is the one I just sold. Most marine stores carry the paint. It is not tintable, but you instead by the colour you want. There are around 20 colours, different whites and about 3 greys.

I went with Blue glo white (top) and Seattle Grey (bottom). You need about 1 quart for the bottom and 2 for the top half. Gives plenty of room for 2 coats and touch ups. This was with thinning it 10 percent with their reducer - you will want to do this to avoid the brush lines. Flows real nice when thinned the 10 percent. Not thinned, not so much.

I used Interlux Briteside.

Sandpaper was 280 and finishing about a 400. It goes on fairly thick and flows well so do not waste your time sanding it too smooth. 400 or above you are wasting your time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2419_1.JPG   IMG_2447_1.JPG  

Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #70

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Two Part paints

Rolling is not the best way. There is something called Tip and Roll. In reality it is Roll and Tip. Rolling the paint on up and down, and then another person follow and lightly drags a foam brush horizontally to pop the bubbles. With 2 part Interlux, it looks like it is sprayed on. I thin it about 40% and do three coats.

The Brightside is a one part paint and can easily be damaged. The Perfection paint, is two part, and dries like rock--you can't really scratch it because the paint is so hard--it lasts far longer than Brightside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken James View Post
Okay, we've had a number of threads concerning painting these little eggs. We have done several ourselves, from brush painting to having them painted professionally. The body shop is the best to be sure. However, my better half (who has far more patience than I), just finished doing the Trillium. I'm completely blown away at how nice it turned out. We saved $1,000 and didn't lose much in doing so.

She used a quality small roller loaded with Brightside Interlux Marine Enamel. It took 3 coats but I think you'll agree it is almost as good as the body shop. That paint flows nicely and doesn't leave roller marks. Cost $130 Canadian and a lot of humility on my part.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #71

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Rolling is not the best way. There is something called Tip and Roll. In reality it is Roll and Tip. Rolling the paint on up and down, and then another person follow and lightly drags a foam brush horizontally to pop the bubbles. With 2 part Interlux, it looks like it is sprayed on. I thin it about 40% and do three coats.

The Brightside is a one part paint and can easily be damaged. The Perfection paint, is two part, and dries like rock--you can't really scratch it because the paint is so hard--it lasts far longer than Brightside.
You simply MUST try micro rollers!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #72

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post

The roll and tip is what I used on the above BOler. I am curious about the 2 part "Perfection" paint as I have another unrelated project I want to tackle.....by 2 part do you mean there is an addition of a hardener to the paint....or is it a base coat and clear coat style?
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #73

Trailer: Surfside
Quote:
Okay, we've had a number of threads concerning painting these little eggs. We have done several ourselves, from brush painting to having them painted professionally. The body shop is the best to be sure. However, my better half (who has far more patience than I), just finished doing the Trillium. I'm completely blown away at how nice it turned out. We saved $1,000 and didn't lose much in doing so.

She used a quality small roller loaded with Brightside Interlux Marine Enamel. It took 3 coats but I think you'll agree it is almost as good as the body shop. That paint flows nicely and doesn't leave roller marks. Cost $130 Canadian and a lot of humility on my part.
Hey Ken what color of White did you use?
kelly p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #74

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly p View Post
Hey Ken what color of White did you use?
I don't think Ken will answer you. Go back and read posts #59, 60, & 61.
Quote:
Fiberglass RV > Members List
Ken James's Profile

Last Activity: 12-03-2008 10:10 PM
Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #75

Primer
Interlux
Pre-kote
white
Finish
Interlux
Brightside
Polyurethane
Premium One part Enamel
White
Attached Thumbnails
583 (640x480).jpg  
Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #76

Five full years after the last coat was put on the bottom the trailer still looks great. There is no chipping, scratching, cracking or noticeable fading that can be seen with the naked eye. Even in bright sunlight it looks great after washing the usual road grime off of it. In retrospect... I would do it again on another trailer.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #77

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in BC

The roll and tip is what I used on the above BOler. I am curious about the 2 part "Perfection" paint as I have another unrelated project I want to tackle.....by 2 part do you mean there is an addition of a hardener to the paint....or is it a base coat and clear coat style?
It is epoxy with a hardener. Any leftovers cannot be saved. To give you an example. I lost reverse while docking and had to put the side of my boat into a piling to slow down. I was about to grab a dock line to prevent T-boning the dock. But I made a mess of the side of my boat. The next day I cleaned all the tar off with acetone and was amazed to see relatively minro scratches. One part paint would have peeled like bad sunburn.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #78

Name: Bert
Trailer: BOLER
Ontario
where did u buy the paint?

Quote:

Hi Ken; I want to paint my 74 Boler too. Please tell me WHERE u bot the paint.
Thanx
Bert
EGBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #79

Name: Bert
Trailer: BOLER
Ontario
Where can I buy the Interlux Marine paint? Do I have to go to a Marina? Does Canadian Tire sell it?
Bert
EGBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #80

Name: Dawn
Trailer: '78 Boler 1300
Alberta
Painting my Betsy

I've loved reading about all of the painting advice. If I use Interlux Brightside, where do I get rock guard and how do I apply that over the paint?
Also, I have quite a few wee pits in Betsy's front from road rocks... what do you use to fill those before painting?
Dawn
BetsyBoler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting