Painting the exterior - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #85

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
A slightly smaller Compact-II took 2 quarts of primer/undercoat (2 coats)and a little over a gallon of White. (3 coats) of Interlux Briteside

And BTW: Contrary to other reports... It has held up fine for over two years of 24/7 California sun exposure.

It's all about proper preparation.

Again, it's always a better idea to start a new thread rather than tack onto a stale one.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #86

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Thanks Bob. I appreciate the instruction on the best way to use the forum!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #87

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I don't know if it's the best way, but it's easier for me to follow shorter threads as I tend to forget anything more than three posts back.... LOLOLOL
Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #88

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Roll and Tip paint job

A few years ago I painted a Compact Jr. with Brightside Marine Paint. It took some practice to get the hang of roll and tip. The trailer came out like it was sprayed. I applied 3 coats and wet sanded between coats.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6086.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #89

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Here's a link to my post and how much paint I used
Painting Boler with Brightside marine paint
Old 06-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #90

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Thanks!
Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #91

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Just a bit of update. After reading through all the posts I realized that it has been 8 years since we painted the Boler. Appears to be some worn areas and some pitting on the front from stones, wind, weather and outside storage. The door and around the windows could use some touch up too. I guess a good cleaning and sanding is in order and then reprint it all.
Maybe next year.
I guess that it's done well for a roll-on job in the driveway.
Jim
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #92

Name: Russ
Trailer: 1972 & 1978 Bolers 13ft
Alberta
What is everyone using to protect against rock chips on the front of their fiberglass trailers? I used to have black rubber glued to the front but that has since peeled off.

I'm looking for feedback on roll or brush on truck bed liner. Who's done this method? I want to be able to match it to the color that I will be painting my boler.

Cheers
Rusty
Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #93

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Well Russ I concider the front of the trailer the same as the front of the TV. It's going to get a few dings along the way. Kind of funny as there are a few small chips below the belly band that I only see/notice when washing it. But I do have a couple larger ones at about six foot high and they don't stand out. They are all the badges/patina of traveling to me
Old 07-10-2014, 03:47 AM   #94

Name: Russ
Trailer: 1972 & 1978 Bolers 13ft
Alberta
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Well Russ I concider the front of the trailer the same as the front of the TV. It's going to get a few dings along the way. Kind of funny as there are a few small chips below the belly band that I only see/notice when washing it. But I do have a couple larger ones at about six foot high and they don't stand out. They are all the badges/patina of traveling to me
Dave, although I appreciate your point, I travel down many hundreds of kilometers of gravel roads in any given camping season. My poor Boler was beaten up very severely by rocks by its previous owner to the point where fiberglass was missing. In all honesty I don't like any pits or chips on my Boler especially if I'm going to be repainting it, I'm sure many agree.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #95

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Wow Russ, missing fiberglass pieces? They must have been in a rock fight or going way to fast for the road. With the roads you drive, maybe mudflaps on your TV may help without having the extra weight of the coating and do the same job. Chips in new paint are a downer for sure. My chips are only pin head size or smaller. Others here have used truckbed coatings and will chime in. Whatever you decide, you have to make it yours and enjoy it.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #96

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Painting the exterior

Great information about exterior coating of fiber glass campers! I have a question about a product that I have been looking at and wondered if any one has any experience with the product called- Line-X. It comes in different colors and it seems to last a long time and durable.
Does any one have any information?

Thanks,
Carl
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #97

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I've used Britesides on boats, and don't really like it because it can't be waxed (it loses its shine when waxed). If I ever painted my egg, it would be with another Interlux product, their VC Performance two part epoxy. While they say it is semi-gloss, I have wet sanded it after drying to a gel coat like finish. Once dry, it is hard as a rock, great stuff.

Interlux VC Performance Epoxy

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #98

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Great information about exterior coating of fiber glass campers! I have a question about a product that I have been looking at and wondered if any one has any experience with the product called- Line-X. It comes in different colors and it seems to last a long time and durable.
Does any one have any information?

Thanks,
Carl
We just had the bed of our new TV done with Line-X. While at the dealership I was able to see a trailer that had had it applied to the outside. Very tough stuff. The dealership owner stated he had done many different types of trailers and could match the white on our Oliver if we wanted to get it done as well.

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting