Painting the exterior - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #101

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You don't even need to think about a spray job.
When you want to paint re-ask about painting your Boler with marine paint using the roll and tip method. Works perfect, at about 1/10th the cost of having it sprayed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #102

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13'
Yukon
Lots of videos on the technique on YouTube. Looks easy and a lot cheaper with very good results. My buddy helping me seems desperate to spray something, but I think this is the route I'll go. Can even do it indoors and not wait for spring. A big consideration since it's about -23 tonight....
Thanks!
drdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #103

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
But... keep in mind that all paints are not created equal.
Interlux Topside (with interlux undercoat) will look just like a really good spray job.
I put it on my Hunter Compact-II.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 PM   #104

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I used topside paint on a 1971 Compact Jr. Roll and tip which worked well after I got the hag of it. The trailer looked like a spray job.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #105

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
sounds like good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Rolling is not the best way. There is something called Tip and Roll. In reality it is Roll and Tip. Rolling the paint on up and down, and then another person follow and lightly drags a foam brush horizontally to pop the bubbles. With 2 part Interlux, it looks like it is sprayed on. I thin it about 40% and do three coats.

The Brightside is a one part paint and can easily be damaged. The Perfection paint, is two part, and dries like rock--you can't really scratch it because the paint is so hard--it lasts far longer than Brightside.
I realize that this is an old thread but this sounds like good advice. I'll have to look around for a good marine paint like this when we get ready to paint.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #106

Name: Arne
Trailer: Boler 1975
Email
I as well used Interlux Brightside marine paint and the roll and tip method for applying to my 1974 Boler. At a fraction of the cost of spray painting, and results that compare to spray painting, I would highly recommend this method.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
ArneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #107

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1979 boler 1700
British Columbia
Hi all!
I recently bought a boler 1700 and plan to paint it with interlux. The pics look amazing! Thanks for the advice on paint prep - I realistically think it wil take me 2 weeks to prep and strip my egg before priming happens….and from what I am reading, 3 coats for a good solid paint job. I am guessing that all window trims, grills, etc., were removed and the area underneath sanded and cleaned beforehand?
pete
Bolerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #108

Name: Colin
Trailer: Boler
California
Speaking of painting...I recently patched the fiberglass below the rear tail light. It's standard Boler beige. Has anyone tried to match it before?

Colin
clloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #109

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1979 boler 1700
British Columbia
Smile

After doing a lot of my own research I have decided not to use interlux marine paint or any other marine paint over my gel coat on my boler. I spoke to two marine boatyards in my area and both of them did not recommend this method as putting hard marine paint over another hardened substrate ( the current gel coat on the boler) will cause cracking in the paint. Neither boat refinisher wanted to take on the job for this reason, at any price.
Instead I will paint it using automotive paint, which is what the boat places that I spoke to said would be best. Hope this helps someone else and thanks for the info all!
Pete
Bolerpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting