Painting the exterior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Okay, we've had a number of threads concerning painting these little eggs. We have done several ourselves, from brush painting to having them painted professionally. The body shop is the best to be sure. However, my better half (who has far more patience than I), just finished doing the Trillium. I'm completely blown away at how nice it turned out. We saved $1,000 and didn't lose much in doing so.

She used a quality small roller loaded with Brightside Interlux Marine Enamel. It took 3 coats but I think you'll agree it is almost as good as the body shop. That paint flows nicely and doesn't leave roller marks. Cost $130 Canadian and a lot of humility on my part.
Attached Thumbnails
paint_stitched.jpg  
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Very nice.
What kind of prep work did you do? Was she doing the roll and tip thing or just rolling it on?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #3

Andy, she just lightly sanded the surface and taped it off before rolling on the paint. There was some trouble with small hairs from the roller pulling out if the sun was too hot. I suggest doing it indoors would be a big help.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Did she just do three coats of Interlux, or were one or two primer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #5

All 3 were Interlux Andy.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Ken and Di:
Looks great! I'm encouraged, because I did the shower pan with the very same paint, liked what I saw, and the plan is to eventually paint my Burro the same way.
Dried glossy and smooth and hard. Repairs should be much easier after such a paint job, and the color matching problem is no longer an issue. Less likely to fade and absorb stains too. Outstanding work!
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I did mine with a roller too. I figured I would NEVER get a smooth finish, so I used a slightly textured roller and a high gloss PPG paint.

It does not look auto shop fresh, but I am pleased with how it looks.

Took two coats on mine, and it been a year. There are some rock chips and areas I need to detail better, but all in all, it worked out.

BTW, it was completely sanded to get the gloss off the old gel coat, but that worked as a great primer itself.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
beautiful job!!!
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

The Interlux Brightside paint is great stuff. They advertise that you can roll it on and it really works. The price seems high but when looking at the results, it is a bargain.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #10

Trailer: Star Stream 19ft Aluminum
Quote:
That paint flows nicely and doesn't leave roller marks.
Hey! Likewise, just finished painting my Boler with a high-density foam and marine paint ... I like the color and the finish is ok, but no where near as nice as yours ... how think where you coating the paint - in ours, you can definately see the roller marks. Clearly

So I'm wondering if
a) your paint was better
you used a better roller
c) you used thinner coats
d) you have a great painter in your wife! ( )

?
Darren C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #11

Darren, I have to give a nod to all of the above. Yes Di did a pains-taking job on the trailer

We did use a quality paint and the best foam roller we could buy. I share the pictures because a number of FGRV members want to paint and the cost discourages them - this was relatively inexpensive.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Darren, I have to give a nod to all of the above. Yes Di did a pains-taking job on the trailer

We did use a quality paint and the best foam roller we could buy. I share the pictures not to brag but simply to show folks who want to paint, and begrudge the body shop price, that there is hope.
I am very glad that you posted this. Given the condition of my Boler, even after what I plan on doing to re-fit it, the cost of doing this oneself is in line with what I want to invest in it.

I think the Interlux paint was once featured in a Boat program on TV here a while ago and it grabbed my interest then.

Very nice work.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I did this one using same method as Ken.
Attached Thumbnails
House_stuff_pics_1051.jpg  
Old 07-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For paint i used Tremclad RV White,It is a creme color.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #15

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
Okay, we've had a number of threads concerning painting these little eggs. We have done several ourselves, from brush painting to having them painted professionally. The body shop is the best to be sure. However, my better half (who has far more patience than I), just finished doing the Trillium. I'm completely blown away at how nice it turned out. We saved $1,000 and didn't lose much in doing so.

She used a quality small roller loaded with Brightside Interlux Marine Enamel. It took 3 coats but I think you'll agree it is almost as good as the body shop. That paint flows nicely and doesn't leave roller marks. Cost $130 Canadian and a lot of humility on my part.

Awesome job! Now that I see how great it turned out and what product to use, I can put this on my list of things to do LOL
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler
I'm in the process of using the Interlux Topside epoxy for the floor of my Boler. I was skeptical about the finish that I was going to get using a roller, but these marine paints flow unbeleivably well. It seems like brush and roller marks virtually disappear.
gregshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #17

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Jaye, I have followed your modifications with admiration for all that you have done. It's people like you that I had in mind when I posted this thread. It seems like an economical way for do-it-yourselfers to get a nicely finished look to our units.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ken, I want to do our 84, 13ft boler. Would appreciate it if you could estimate the quantity required and was it straight from the can or is a reducer needed.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 73 Boler
I was going to spray my boler with marine grade enamel but it is SOOO thick i dont think my gun will do it. I painted a few test pieces with a brush , and the enamel evens right out so you dont even see brush strokes. I have decided im not going to spray it, i will roll it. Great job BTW.
Now i gots the fever.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:24 AM   #20

James, we painted straight from the can, no reducer.

And Collin, we used 4 1\2 quarts of paint. We still have a bit for touchups.

Tags
paint, painting