Painting the outside - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Posts: 6
Hi All
My Trails West Restoration is well under way. Any ideas as to the best kind on paint for the outside. I will spray the shell myself.
cheers
gerry gregory
__________________

__________________
gerry gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Member
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 66
I would use a single stage acry urthane w/hardner. I use ppg's concept on the cars I restore.
For my Scamp I used a fleet paint because it drys slow & you can get around it w/no overspray.

Recently I have switched to So Poly for my paints.

I use a epoxy primer. This is a source of excellent paint . They have single stage in white.....cheap. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/
__________________

__________________
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
Quote:
I would use a single stage acry urthane w/hardner. I use ppg's concept on the cars I restore.
For my Scamp I used a fleet paint because it drys slow & you can get around it w/no overspray.

Recently I have switched to So Poly for my paints.

I use a epoxy primer. This is a source of excellent paint . They have single stage in white.....cheap. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

1. Did you do it in two sessions, i.e., lower part below the belly line, then mask lower part, provide staging and do the upper part? Or were you able to shoot it all in one session?

2. Did you clear coat? The reason I ask is I painted my Jimmy 7-8 years ago white with a clear coat in a "shade tree" setting. The problem I had was small dust particles that would not show on most colors through the clear coat were a real pain with the white backgound.

3. Thanks for mentioning your source of materials. Apparently they limit their paints to either black or white.
__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
brian dobbs's Avatar
 
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
Posts: 25
The epox prim is great for the fiberglass,but beware of the dry time. It can be like sanding a cinder block if you get behind. just need that on spider [sp?]cracks. I just sprayed on ace chrom allum. utillitty paint. .works great deflects heat. people think it's an Airstream
__________________
brian dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Member
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 66
Quote:
1. Did you do it in two sessions, i.e., lower part below the belly line, then mask lower part, provide staging and do the upper part? Or were you able to shoot it all in one session?

2. Did you clear coat? The reason I ask is I painted my Jimmy 7-8 years ago white with a clear coat in a "shade tree" setting. The problem I had was small dust particles that would not show on most colors through the clear coat were a real pain with the white backgound.

3. Thanks for mentioning your source of materials. Apparently they limit their paints to either black or white.
No there is no reason to clear coat a polyurethane paint & I did paint the scamp in 2 sessions.
__________________
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 725
Quote:
No there is no reason to clear coat a polyurethane paint & I did paint the scamp in 2 sessions.
I think we're on the same page.
__________________

__________________
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paint, painting


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
painting JIM DUNNE Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 06-13-2009 11:59 PM
painting- how much do i need Janet G Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 05-03-2009 07:51 AM
Painting my 5er? Christi V. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 07-04-2008 03:38 PM
Painting the Egg Dan Quinn General Chat 8 01-03-2006 09:05 PM
Painting Jollean Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 01-02-2006 11:51 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.