Painting the outside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Hi All
My Trails West Restoration is well under way. Any ideas as to the best kind on paint for the outside. I will spray the shell myself.
cheers
gerry gregory
gerry gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
I would use a single stage acry urthane w/hardner. I use ppg's concept on the cars I restore.
For my Scamp I used a fleet paint because it drys slow & you can get around it w/no overspray.

Recently I have switched to So Poly for my paints.

I use a epoxy primer. This is a source of excellent paint . They have single stage in white.....cheap. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I would use a single stage acry urthane w/hardner. I use ppg's concept on the cars I restore.
For my Scamp I used a fleet paint because it drys slow & you can get around it w/no overspray.

Recently I have switched to So Poly for my paints.

I use a epoxy primer. This is a source of excellent paint . They have single stage in white.....cheap. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

1. Did you do it in two sessions, i.e., lower part below the belly line, then mask lower part, provide staging and do the upper part? Or were you able to shoot it all in one session?

2. Did you clear coat? The reason I ask is I painted my Jimmy 7-8 years ago white with a clear coat in a "shade tree" setting. The problem I had was small dust particles that would not show on most colors through the clear coat were a real pain with the white backgound.

3. Thanks for mentioning your source of materials. Apparently they limit their paints to either black or white.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
The epox prim is great for the fiberglass,but beware of the dry time. It can be like sanding a cinder block if you get behind. just need that on spider [sp?]cracks. I just sprayed on ace chrom allum. utillitty paint. .works great deflects heat. people think it's an Airstream
brian dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
1. Did you do it in two sessions, i.e., lower part below the belly line, then mask lower part, provide staging and do the upper part? Or were you able to shoot it all in one session?

2. Did you clear coat? The reason I ask is I painted my Jimmy 7-8 years ago white with a clear coat in a "shade tree" setting. The problem I had was small dust particles that would not show on most colors through the clear coat were a real pain with the white backgound.

3. Thanks for mentioning your source of materials. Apparently they limit their paints to either black or white.
No there is no reason to clear coat a polyurethane paint & I did paint the scamp in 2 sessions.
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
No there is no reason to clear coat a polyurethane paint & I did paint the scamp in 2 sessions.
I think we're on the same page.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting