Painting the 'wood' paneling inside a boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
Painting the 'wood' paneling inside a boler

I have searched and searched and my searching skills are completely failing me here. I read Ian's guide to painting ensolite but I'm interested in painting the paneling. Can I just use a good primer plus a latex interior paint? I've used benjamin moore aura a lot in my house but I have no idea if that would work inside of a trailer. Please help? Point me to the right thread, or help me with search terms? Thank you!
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #2

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
I always use a good primer and good latex, and it works great. On the ensolite I like the Benjamin Moore eggshell finish, halfway between flat and semi-gloss. It is washable without being too shiny. On the wood semi-gloss is nice. Because semi- gloss and gloss do not cover well, use an ultra flat paint first ( over the primer) if the base color is dark. For example, when I paint my home, I paint the trim first with the ceiling paint (ultra flat ) then the gloss.
Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Alberta
thank you so much! I am just painting it white, so I should be ok without the flat paint over the primer, correct?
Old 05-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #4

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
It depends on how dark the wood underneath is, and what finish you are using. Flat covers better than gloss, is cheaper and dries quicker. That us why I use flat first. The primer creates better adhesion. Due to environmental concerns, paint ingredients have changed, and coverage isn't great. I am a paper hanger by profession, so I know more about wallcoverings, and alittle about primers and paint.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Wash the walls with TSP. rinse the walls. use Zinsser primer. Then paint as you will. The primer is vapor-is when wet, so get plenty of fan fed fresh air into the trailer while priming or using heavy cleaners. Remember you are working in a confined space. I worked on a 3 bedroom mobile home where all walls were 1960's grooved paneling. This primer worked well on everything. After priming we filled the groves in the paneling with drywall mud sanded and re-primed. When done you couldn't tell it was ever paneled except for the thin wall undulations.

Zinsser® B-I-N® Shellac-Base Primer Product Page
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Most wood paneling, like cabinet doors are press board with a vinyl covering. What ever you try, try on some piece corner that doesn't show before doing the whole thing.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Alberta
rarebird - I just re-read what you posted. AH. If the base colour is dark, as in what I'm starting with. All that makes sense, thank you!

Byron, that is sound advice. Good call. Will do.

stevebaz, thanks! do you have photos of what you did?
Old 05-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Name: doug
Trailer: ventura
Ontario
I would suggest use you use an oil based primer when painting over panels then use any enamel as a top coat
doug coleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint, painting