parked unlevel for extended time--is it ok? - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Send a message via AIM to VickiC
At the moment my scamp is parked level with the help of a BAL leveler btw the greatest invention of all time for leveling. The leveler has been out in the elements for several months now. I want to take the leveler off. Can the scamp sit on an unlevel surface for a few months. Now, im not talking about an extreme situation. Its unlevel by about a few inches on the side. I cant use wood in its place because i dont have a hitch on my tv yet so i cant move the scamp around.

thanks again.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
As long as the fridge isn't running, it is quite OK. A couple inches makes no difference. Just make sure it's chocked correctly so it doesn't get away!

If it SO unleveled that it is putting an unsual amount of pressure on the wheel/axle it's leaning towards, I would be concerned, but it doesn't sound like you are doing that.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #3

Thanks! I thought so---Just wanted to be sure
Old 01-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #4

a BAL leveler is very helpful if you dont like to pull back and forth to get yourself level on a piece of wood. I find it to much easier to use the leveler especially since i camp by myself and i dont have someone to guide me. Basically what you do is park the camper where you like. Take the u shaped leveler out and place it under the tire to be lifted. Use the socket wrench that comes with it and lift it with little effort until its level--takes about 5 min. all together.

I LOVE MY BAL LEVELER!!!!
here is a link to where i got mine. They went up about 20$ from when i got mine.
Camping world also carries them.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...05681+0/c-10107
Old 01-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #5

Trailer: X Casita Owner
VickiC

I have the BAL leveler and it is a great device but I thought I would share a couple of problem areas that some folks have had with this device. I would hate for this to happen to anyone and is why I'm sharing.

The nut on the screw rod is pressed on the shaft and can come loose at the worst time. It looks like it is one piece but in fact is two pieces and the part where it is pressed on to is round. I have placed a red arrow on the picture pointing to the problem area.

I read one story where a camper had got the trailer half way up when they were leveling when this happened. The nut part came loose and just spun around they were not able to raise or lower the trailer. He finally got a pair of vise grips or channel locks and was able to get it down but with lots of blood sweat and tears.

The fix is to drill a hole straight thru the nut and shaft and to place a bolt, screw or cinch pin to keep this from happening. It has been two years since I purchase my BAL Leveler so they may have fixed this problem but worth investigating.

Another area is when parked on dirt/gravel the leveler can be hard to slide around the tire. To make it easier you can roll the trailer on to one leveler block when parking the trailer which will raise the tire off the ground. The leveler will slide under the tire much easier this way.
Attached Thumbnails
BAL_Leveler_4.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Vicki C,

You should consider taking your trailer for a spin at least once every 2-3 months, perhaps on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Aside from beneficial effects on it's attitude, the excercise will massage the tires and keep their preservatives evenly distributed. Might help the grease in the bearings too!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #7

thanks again for the great suggestions!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Thanks for the heads up concerning the BAL leveler. I recently purchase one and checked the hex end. I was ready to start drilling when I noticed a pin holding the hex piece to the lead screw. Looks like they fixed it on the newer versions.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #9

Trailer: X Casita Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up concerning the BAL leveler. I recently purchase one and checked the hex end. I was ready to start drilling when I noticed a pin holding the hex piece to the lead screw. Looks like they fixed it on the newer versions.

Byron, thanks for the reply, it's good to know that they fixed the problem!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Vicki C,

I can sympathize with the tilted storage situation. This year I went from a $110/month to $40. One thing I gave up was a level site. If it wrecks my trailer, I'll let you know!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #11

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Here is an item that can be handy for moving your egg short distances.

Trailer Dolly

Cheap as well. Lizbeth has one and she seems to like it very much.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #12

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have a trailer dolly just like the one on the link and it works fabulously for me....on level asphalt My 16' trailer is probably heavier than most 16 footers and with the 15" tires the tongue is certainly not level on the dolly. Probably 5-6 inches off level (tongue down) and I'm still able to push, pull the trailer around into it's spot all by myself.

I'm going to check into the BAL leveler too...this has to be easier than backing up on blocks and probably more accurate too, since the blocks are about an inch high each.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #13

Donna

I love, love, love my BAL! It is the BEST camping gadget i own. Especially since i set up camp by myself. I dont have time to play with wood pieces, especially with children in the van. If you do get one i suggest you wear work gloves. I sliced my finger open on a piece of metal shaving on the side of the BAL. The worst part was at the time i owned a popup and the first aid kit was packed in the popup. So i bleed all over the campsite until the camper was fully popup and i could get a bandaid. Needless to say that was the last year for the popup.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 2005 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
The secret to the BAL leveler is to keep the threads on the worm gear greased. If not you will have slivers of the gear coming off on which you can get some nasty cuts. Tom