Parkliner or Eggcamper? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #71
Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post

Jalousie windows seem to be a vanishing breed. It's one of the things I don't like about some trailer that have sideways sliding windows. Not for me! Our 30 year old stickie has jalousie windows that still all work great!

Jalousie windows are being phased out because of EPA requirements and because usability problems. They never seal 100% from both air and water. I have been told that and read elsewhere that building code (at least in Florida) is phasing them out because the temperature leakage.

They still make windows that tilt up but the ones I have seen are single pane. And the windows them selves are not very large. Maybe has to do with the model and where it was installed.

SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #72
Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Here is some thoughts on the topic brought up from my use of the EggCamper.

I have thought about adding a large window on the rear wall but then that is where the bed is and we take the trade off for privacy. The front wall is the bathroom (or closet if you don't order it) so I don't think I want a window there.

I like the sliders instead of Jalousie because if something happens I can pop the screen out and exit through the window. And the screen keeps light to moderate rain out. If it is raining hard enough (or blowing too much) for rain to be a problem I would have them shut anyway.

After reading peoples' comments and my own experience I would take a 12v compressor fridge every time. Now the furnace and water heater I would like gas option, but the electric does for right now. The stove I am still undecided on - to trade the occasional use with the cost, weight, and perceived mess (the wife insists the messes are all my fault). We have an oven/stove that we can put outside for when we do cook.

Nothing but a hook up or generator is going to power up an AC for normal use. Several people have good luck using Buddy heaters. A Coleman stove makes for easy cooking and keeps mess and smell outside. And many people take a serious shower in an egg? I have heard many sponge bath ideas floated. My dad stays at campgrounds with shower/toilets for convenience sake. For small jobs water heated on the stove will work.

Just throwing some ideas around. Your comfort level (like home to roughing it) will help you decide what works for you.

SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #73
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We have camped for 40 years with coolers and gas stoves. Our kindles have lights built into them. We need a comfortable bed. A/C is nice, no question about it, but I doubt for my wife's sake we'll be camping when it's so cold our good sleeping bags won't keep us warm! I still tend toward the ParkLiner anyways just because it has a queen size bed.

frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #74
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too am not a fan of those Jalousie style windows, though I do recognize that many people are. I only had them in one old trailer. The look with the horizontal bands through them I find too look busier, and they block a clear view too. The ones I had just never seemed to operate smoothly, or seal very well as they have way more edge length to seal.

It is often mentioned that they are better for venting in the rain, and I can see this, but I have never had an issue with cracking a couple sliders on the leeward side of the trailer, and combined with the Max Fan, can replace the air in the trailer in no time.

What would be best would be an awning style single window, but they would not be as good to leave cracked while traveling if you wanted. I kinda wonder why we don`t see more of this style.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #75
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Thumbs up

On the Jalousie widow topic... : )

The Jalousie windows were one of the selling points to getting our full time 38ft Mobile Suite & the Parkliner we take on adventures.

Our Mobile Suite has 3 - 3/4" thick walls and Herr double pane Jalousie windows set in solid wood frames on all sides except nose. We love them! Never any issues with rain getting inside when open or closed even in driving rain on the windward side.

On Parkliner #35 we have single pane Herr Jalousie windows and have made double pane out of lexan on the upper part of each window. We actually ruled out several makes of trailers right away simply because they had sliders... our Pacific Northwest year-round camping typically includes rain even in the summer months... so Jalousie, or at least some sort of workaround such as the MaxxAir slider-add-on covers, are a must if one wants to stay comfy inside with nice circulation.

ALSO... IF you order a new trailer... no matter the brand, ask if they will install a MaxxAir MaxxFan 5100K ! great fan/vent rain or shine.

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote

eggcamper, parkliner