Patching holes inside and outside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 1996 17 ft Casita / 1991 Olds Custom Cruiser Washingtongon
1. the previous owner (s) of our 96 Freedom have tried to make some mods that are just wrong! One of them is a toilet paper holder in the bathroom. They drilled and mounted the holder into the wall with screws that would fill the hole in the Titanic!. There are also several other drill holes by the stove. I would like to fill these holes. Any suggestions on what to use. Also, any suggestions for a toilet paper holder for the john? We do use the shower and would prefer not to have to take the paper out each time we take a shower.

2. I also have some rock chips in the gelcoat in the front and would like to fill them and cliean it up. Suggestions?

3. In order to have cable, one of the previous has drilled a hole in the roof of the egg and stuck a cable end out. They used some kind of hardening putty around it. It doesn't leak, and I should probable leave it alone, but the ugliness of the cable stiking out and the putty offends my sense of good planning. I would like to take the cable out, but that requires filling the hole. Help!
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Geoff:
All I can contribute is the method I've used recently: Get a tube of hardware-store epoxy-and-hardener (Devcon comes to mind), mix it with some West System Colloidial Silica Adhesive filler 406 so that you end up with a thick a mixture as you'd like. I would stay away from the kinds that use a tube of hardener in favor of real epoxy, not polyester resin. Gouge out the holes until fresh resin is exposed and fill.
Sand/file down the filler until smooth. A small block of wood with some felt glued onto it can serve as a sanding block (using a block is essential). Work your way through the grits (wet-sand) until you hit 1500 or 2000. Get some Interlux Brightside Polyester 4359 marine paint and its primer. Primer and paint a couple of coats, sanding between.
After the paint is thoroughly dry and hard sand again, using the block. Using a polisher (such as a Porter-Cable 7424 I believe) work it with some rubbing compound, finishing with a polish. Wax and call it a day.
The Brightside may not match the color exactly, but I have found it to be acceptable. If I were to give advise to the manufacturers it would be to include some specific facts about the gel-coat color they use so that the customer could duplicate it if possible. Would save a lot of trouble.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 1996 17 ft Casita / 1991 Olds Custom Cruiser Washingtongon
Quote:
Geoff:
All I can contribute is the method I've used recently: Get a tube of hardware-store epoxy-and-hardener (Devcon comes to mind), mix it with some West System Colloidial Silica Adhesive filler 406 so that you end up with a thick a mixture as you'd like. I would stay away from the kinds that use a tube of hardener in favor of real epoxy, not polyester resin. Gouge out the holes until fresh resin is exposed and fill.
Sand/file down the filler until smooth. A small block of wood with some felt glued onto it can serve as a sanding block (using a block is essential). Work your way through the grits (wet-sand) until you hit 1500 or 2000. Get some Interlux Brightside Polyester 4359 marine paint and its primer. Primer and paint a couple of coats, sanding between.
After the paint is thoroughly dry and hard sand again, using the block. Using a polisher (such as a Porter-Cable 7424 I believe) work it with some rubbing compound, finishing with a polish. Wax and call it a day.
The Brightside may not match the color exactly, but I have found it to be acceptable. If I were to give advise to the manufacturers it would be to include some specific facts about the gel-coat color they use so that the customer could duplicate it if possible. Would save a lot of trouble.
Many thanks! I really appreciate the info! geoff
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I've heard West Marine has a gelcoat patch material in polar white that will match without painting. It comes with fiber, for larger patches and without, for smaller holes and finish work. A fellow camper at the Oregon Gathering gave a presentation on this method.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr
Elmers makes an epoxy fiberglass repair putty that comes in two small rectangular tubs. When mixed, it has the consistency of cake frosting. I used it with good success to patch unused holes on my sister's Compact Jr. It has a white color, but would require painting afterwards in order to look really good.

I got it at the local Lowe's.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
For larger holes, such as changing the location of a water fill tube, I stretch a piece of fiberglass screen over the hole on the inside to reinforce and stablize the patch.

Once when I was out of epoxy resin, I even used polyurethane glue as an adhesive for the screen. When set up I filled the hole with polyesther body patch (Bondo), then painted it as above. I don't know if this should be recommended, but it has been three years since I did it and has held up just fine.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Elmers makes an epoxy fiberglass repair putty that comes in two small rectangular tubs...When mixed, it has the consistency of cake frosting... I got it at the local Lowe's....
That's what I used to do the following...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2609_2_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	11022
Buttered on two "ears" in the right side corners

Name:	b72d_1_.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	11023
After set up, I scrolled out two radius curves in each corner.

Name:	55ae_1_.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	11024
Smoothed, Sanded, & Painted the rest of the hole...

Name:	ed6a_1_.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	11025
...then riveted on a new access cover.

That Elmers Glue Cake Frosting did the trick.
ConwayBob