perplexed newbie here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2003, 10:50 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
perplexed newbie here

I just picked up a Perris Pacer last week and I'm trying to give it a thorough cleaning including flushing out the fresh and gray water tanks. I had a great working pump style faucet until I drained and flushed the reservoir, now i can't get water to my sink again. Is there a priming procedure or just a whole lotta pumping? I've already pumped it 30-50 times and all I get is little sprays of water.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:58 AM   #2

I usually hold my thumb over the spout so that between pumps the water can't fall back to the tank. It's usually about 5 or 6 pumps then.

Old 07-03-2003, 07:25 AM   #3

Good information to know. I plan on using a hand pump.

You have any picturesof it, Stephen? especially camping when you have the Perris with you? :)

Old 07-04-2003, 12:40 AM   #4

yup...sounds like an air leak to me....

like pjantis says...hold that thumb over the spout to build up pressure..

(it's worth a shot...!)

Old 07-04-2003, 02:33 AM   #5

And if that doesn't work, and the hose connections are tight, and the hose itself is OK, then the rubber diaphram inside the pump is split, either from age or water froze inside of it.
Then the pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Old 07-04-2003, 05:47 AM   #6

Hi!

My pump is self priming in 5 or 6 strokes.

If your pump was working fine before the cleaning I would suspect that something is blocking the waterline or the checkvalve. Or maybe there is a bad bend on the line.:shg

If there is no blocking, then the check valve (a ball) is good and the rubber ring that produce the vaccum inside the pump need to be changed, if you can find it.

I don't know how many hours I spend trying to fix my old pump witch had the same symptoms as yours.

The problem was the rubber ring. It was not flexible enough any more. Since I could not find a replacement part, I tried to boil it, I try to put it in a form to expand it, I tri to put vaseline on it , every time putting back the pump together and trying it. No success!! :bh

I finally changed the pump.

Since then, I installed a battery in my trailer. Now, I have a very small electric pump on the same waterline and the hand pump is the faucet (the spout). I still pump by hand when I just need a small amount of water.

The electric pump and the hand pump are about the same price. If you have a battery or consider putting one in your trailer and can't fix your actual pump, my advice would be to keep it and buy an electric pump. It is so much more "confortable". Really!

Alain

Old 07-04-2003, 08:12 AM   #7

water pump

My recently acquired Trillium 4500 had intermittent water pump problems, usually losing its prime. I installed a check valve in the water line, checked the little ball inside the pump (pump should rattle), and still losing prime. I eventually removed pump and placed my thumb over the supply side, pumped the lever, and no suction. I did the same with a new pump, and suction was evident. I therefore purchased a Valterra water pump, a bit more money, but repair kits are available.

Hope this helps

Rick B

Old 07-04-2003, 09:03 AM   #8

Water Handpumps

The little rubber diaphragm deteriorates on a regular basis (every few years) It only quits when you need it most. You can expect to replace it every 3 - 4 years. If you buy a new one, keep the manual, as there is usually a parts list in the back for next time
Cheers

Old 07-08-2003, 05:33 PM   #9

water

thanks for the tips.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:02 PM   #10

pump h20

The pump on my scamp had no diaphram replcement available (1981 model) so Scamp sent one for $15us. I looked into an electric conversion but the waterline route was too low which the instructions implied would cause loss of prime after a while. So I kept it simple and manual.