plastic rivet caps on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Scamp 2004, 13'
Michigan
plastic rivet caps on Scamp

The plastic caps are falling off my 2004 Scamp, normal I guess for it's age.
I have read about them in the forums and understand they are a two piece
unit. I am not about to drill out all the rivets just to put on new caps so I'm
wondering if they can just be glued on with a dab of white sealant.
Second question is, are they available any place else but the Scamp factory?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Stu
StuWhite01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The caps can degenerate with age/sun damage. You only need to replace the snaps not the holder and rivet unless the plastic holder has been broken.

You can buy new caps from Home Depot & other hardware stores but be warned some of them are slightly different in size depending on the manufacture and may not snap down as tight on the plastic ring holder unless they are the same brand. Scamp sells a package that includes every size used on the trailer making it easy to replace them all in one shoot & they will fit tight to the snap ring. If you have the right caps you should not need to use anything but the snap ring to hold them in place - but you do need to push down on them hard to get them to actually snap on close to the trailers body.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #3

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
So, I guess this means that if I can pull a cap UP a touch and kinda twirl it around, it needs to be replaced?

monB
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
So, I guess this means that if I can pull a cap UP a touch and kinda twirl it around, it needs to be replaced?

monB
Not really. Snap caps are for decoration only and they should all be easy to pull up & off. I can get all of my caps off by just putting a finger nail under the edge and pulling up. If your able to spin the cap around a bit it may be that the cap hasn't been pushed down hard enough onto the plastic ring to snap it firmly and tightly onto the ring. If you are able to spin the cap and the plastic holder that might be a good indicator that the rivet isnt as tight as it should be. In that situation you may want to drill out the rivet and replace it to tighten the plastic cap holder back up before you have a leak.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Scamp 2004, 13'
Michigan
Thanks to all for your info about the 'caps'. From an old forum I found a company
"Pro-Dec.com" and ordered 20 small and 30 large caps at 10 cents each. I will let you know if they work.
Stu
StuWhite01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuWhite01 View Post
Thanks to all for your info about the 'caps'. From an old forum I found a company
"Pro-Dec.com" and ordered 20 small and 30 large caps at 10 cents each. I will let you know if they work.
Stu
Pro-Dec: Manufacturer of Screw Covers, Screw Caps & Snap-Caps®
Old 06-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #7

Name: Jameson
Trailer: Scamp
California
Just ordered 50qty of 8/8 and 50qty of 12/12 from prodec website. Was $16.49 shipped.

Will update on which size I use more of etc. when I go to replace some rivets on my Scamp 13 1997
Jskierpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #8

Name: Donna
Missouri
I recall a post a long time back about drilling out and replacing a rivet with a brass or stainless steal bold. I think the poster gave sizes etc. We just have one bad rivet on a curtain rod bracket in our 16 ft Scamp and seems like the simplest solution for now.
Steve n Donna M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

Name: Liz
Alberta
Hi Steve, did you figure out what size snap cap to order for the 16 ft. on pro-dec.com? I need to replace pretty much all of mine.

Also, the piece underneath... is that what is referred to as the "plastic washer" on the scamp site?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve n Donna M. View Post
I recall a post a long time back about drilling out and replacing a rivet with a brass or stainless steal bold. I think the poster gave sizes etc. We just have one bad rivet on a curtain rod bracket in our 16 ft Scamp and seems like the simplest solution for now.
Lizzzys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuWhite01 View Post
The plastic caps are falling off my 2004 Scamp, normal I guess for it's age.
I have read about them in the forums and understand they are a two piece
unit. I am not about to drill out all the rivets just to put on new caps so I'm
wondering if they can just be glued on with a dab of white sealant.
Second question is, are they available any place else but the Scamp factory?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Stu
When you pop the caps off you will then be able to see whether the retainers are still in good shape. When I changed mine on my 2004 about 7 years ago, the retainers were all in perfect shape so it cost only 15 dollars and twenty minutes to change them all.
Any cover that is now intact, even if it is gray and grainy , or even cracked, should accept a new cap.
My trailer is now stored indoors , climate controlled, so we have pretty much doubled the cap life.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #11

Name: Donna
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzzys View Post
Hi Steve, did you figure out what size snap cap to order for the 16 ft. on pro-dec.com? I need to replace pretty much all of mine.

Also, the piece underneath... is that what is referred to as the "plastic washer" on the scamp site?

Thanks!
We already had a supply of snap caps and washers from the previous owners but were just trying to figure out what size screw works to replace the rivet once it's drilled out. We just tried a couple sizes and figured it out. Then just used a plain old nut on the inside --- doesn't show behind the curtain anyway.
Steve n Donna M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:27 AM   #12

Name: Bea
Florida
Registry
Thanks for this tip!
Beak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:27 AM   #13

Name: Bea
Florida
Registry
Thanks for this link!
Beak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
If you have a West Marine store near you, their snap caps alledgedly have UV inhibitors/stabilizers in them which should make them last longer.

HANDIMAN Assorted Screw Snap Caps | West Marine

I haven't price checked them since I'm more interested in a lasting repair than an on-the-cheap temporary fix.

Snap caps for #10 screws seem to match the size on my Casita.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Personally I think the plastic caps are pre-leaks looking for the time and place to loosen and leak and pull loose.
I can't say that my counter-sunk washers and screws will be any better, but the stainless steel won't break down from the UV.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
To protect the caps paint them gloss white before installing them. A previous owner had painted the vent cap white and we have continued this since we purchased it, now painting it twice. It's a brilliant white and I believe it's the original vent cap.

We use rustoleum white in a can for the vent cap because we have it. For the vent caps we use spray rustoleum white, again because we have it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp