playpac 13ft. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
hi ya'll, anyone have any info on the playpacs, where made, what years made etc. Just rebuilt my '73 13' but dont have any info on these cute trailers. Got to camp for 5 days in sept. and the trailer worked out great . thanks for any help or info you might have.

Playpac 73 03 tundra 4x4 access cab
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Bill,

Mike Watters rebuilt and modified one from the ground up within the past couple years.

I bet he is most intimate with knowledge on these.

All I know is that they are indeed cute!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #3

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Hi Bill,

Mike Watters rebuilt and modified one from the ground up within the past couple years.

I bet he is most intimate with knowledge on these.

I've seen very little info, or other examples for that matter... Mine was titled as a '72. The one on eBay now I think is listed as a '75. That's as far of a range as I know of. Don't know where made.

They have a somewhat freaky double wall construction. It's actually a kind of laminate of 1/4" sheet foam with fiberglass on both sides. Looks like the foam was laid into the molds as part of the molding process.

Although I have photos - I've never actually seen one with the original floorplan (big dinette/bed in back, front kitchen, corner bathroom. Mine had been redone once already when I bought it. (photos in the link in the signature).

If I were going to do it all again - I'd do something more along the lines of the original floorplan. Although the front dinette was very appealing - the slope on the front of the playpac made it a problem. Well, for my 6' self anyway - the kids didn't have a problem...

One nice thing... since they're a little wider than a normal egg - I was able to fit a normal residential queen mattress into it (the entire floor plan was designed around it in fact!). HEAVY but very very comfortable!

I assume your's is more or less stock???

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...They have a somewhat freaky double wall construction. It's actually a kind of laminate of 1/4" sheet foam with fiberglass on both sides. Looks like the foam was laid into the molds as part of the molding process.
Freaky... or advanced? This is a foam-core sandwich, which structurally superior to a single solid wall. Similar construction is used in the Geographic (but with more expensive honeycomb core instead of foam; see That 1960s Geographic trailer (again), Geographic 26' Restoration, and Wild 60s Fiberglass Trailer), as Andrew explained in his post. It is also used in the ultra-premium off-road Class C, the EarthRoamer.

I assume that the main purpose of the sandwich construction is light weight, but as side benefits, it would also have built-in insulation and smooth and strong interior wall surfaces.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #5

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Freaky... or advanced? This is a foam-core sandwich, which structurally superior to a single solid wall. Similar construction is used in the Geographic (but with more expensive honeycomb core instead of foam

I assume that the main purpose of the sandwich construction is light weight, but as side benefits, it would also have built-in insulation and smooth and strong interior wall surfaces.
What? It can't be both?!?

I meant "freaky" in the sense of "unusual". It was a remark on frequency - not a qualitative judgement.

The interior surface isn't all that smooth - no more so than the interior surface of a scamp or casita (if you pull the insulation off).

One real advantage (in the original PlayPacs anyway) - is that the interior fittings are attached via rivets to brass plates that are mounted on the inside surface of the foam and glassed in. So... no rivets go through to the outside! I glued wood strips to the interior walls and screwed the components to those (except for the bed - it went straight to the floor only).

The interior of mine was trashed. I ended up putting carpet on the walls. Very comfortable - but very common. My original plan was to take advantage of the very flat walls and do the interior in wood paneling. Just as well... the carpet was hard enough to do.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
What? It can't be both?!?

I meant "freaky" in the sense of "unusual". It was a remark on frequency - not a qualitative judgement.
You're right, of course, Mike... I'll vote for freaky and advanced. There's no question it's unusual in travel trailers.

Quote:
The interior surface isn't all that smooth - no more so than the interior surface of a scamp or casita (if you pull the insulation off).
That eventually occured to me, too. The inside surface would not be smooth like a Burro or U-Haul, because they have the side which was formed against a mould as the interior; the Playpac interior would presumably need a lot of (heavy) filling and sanding to get that nice, and a coat of paint. Even the as-built finish should still be hard and smooth compared to our vinyl-faced foam liners.

Quote:
One real advantage (in the original PlayPacs anyway) - is that the interior fittings are attached via rivets to brass plates that are mounted on the inside surface of the foam and glassed in. So... no rivets go through to the outside!
That would be a significant advantage in my opinion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Quote:
You're right, of course, Mike... I'll vote for freaky and advanced. There's no question it's unusual in travel trailers.
That eventually occured to me, too. The inside surface would not be smooth like a Burro or U-Haul, because they have the side which was formed against a mould as the interior; the Playpac interior would presumably need a lot of (heavy) filling and sanding to get that nice, and a coat of paint. Even the as-built finish should still be hard and smooth compared to our vinyl-faced foam liners.
That would be a significant advantage in my opinion.

Thanks to all for your input. I looked at mike watters photos and he did a great job of finishing out the playpac. I stripped all the old vinyl out of mine and replaced with thin brown indoor- outdoor carpet and it worked out fine. had to replace most of the paneling and installed a new countertop. I reused the doors but had to replace the interior framing.
The outsise I painted beige top and green bottom- I have a green toyota tundra.
Also had to make a propane tank holder wirh strap metal which worked out well. I dyed the cushion covers with Walmart dye and a five gallon bucket. Looks good Got to go on a five day camping trip toa bluegrass festival and camper worked out great.
Will try to post pics but still having trouble due to ignorance. Again thanks for all the posts Bill Boone
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote