Poptop canvas replacement help needed - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Need to replace the canvas (?) on our Compact Jr. I was told outdoor fabric would work. The kind used for outdoor cushion covers on lawn furniture. If this is true I would have dozens of patterns and colors to choose from.
Has anyone used this fabric or know if it would be water resistant enough or how it would hold up on a camper.
Mrs. C.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Hi Mrs C.

I didn't think outdoor fabric was normally water proof---so I just quickly Googled it. It really isn't---UNLESS it specifically says it is. Otherwise, I saw some products that say they can water proof regular outdoor material.

Your best bet is to Google on the internet possible types of water proof fabric or ask a fabric store attendant.

Looking forward to meeting you in Perry soon!

Vickie

Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

Kansas
Quote:
Hi Mrs C.

I didn't think outdoor fabric was normally water proof---so I just quickly Googled it. It really isn't---UNLESS it specifically says it is. Otherwise, I saw some products that say they can water proof regular outdoor material.

Your best bet is to Google on the internet possible types of water proof fabric or ask a fabric store attendant.

Looking forward to meeting you in Perry soon!

Vickie
Wanted to get the Compact Condo all fancied up for the rally but the cost to have new canvas top replaced was around $700-$1200 and couldn`t be done for at least 6 weeks. Just too much money so thought I would see what I could do. Will check internet for ideas. Thanks
See ya in June!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Of course, you could put on some cute fabric and just put the top down if it's raining!!!! Hancock Fabric has had some great sales this past week.

I'm trying to get "Bean" all spruced up, too! It came with cute cowboy curtains, but not really our style, so I have changed them to a "coffee" motif (hence the new name Bean.) Made slip covers for the cushions--and I do mean slip covers--they slip on like a pillow case and drawstring at one end! I wanted to protect them from the dogs, and change the color.

Now I'm tackling the cabinet doors---not ready to cut new ones, and I don't know how well the laminate facing takes paint---so have thought of something with old denim (including the pockets!!) We'll see----
Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #5

Kansas
Quote:
Of course, you could put on some cute fabric and just put the top down if it's raining!!!! Hancock Fabric has had some great sales this past week.

I'm trying to get "Bean" all spruced up, too! It came with cute cowboy curtains, but not really our style, so I have changed them to a "coffee" motif (hence the new name Bean.) Made slip covers for the cushions--and I do mean slip covers--they slip on like a pillow case and drawstring at one end! I wanted to protect them from the dogs, and change the color.

Now I'm tackling the cabinet doors---not ready to cut new ones, and I don't know how well the laminate facing takes paint---so have thought of something with old denim (including the pockets!!) We'll see----
Like the name!
I have thought of painting the cabinet doors-haven`t had the nerve to try yet. Like the denim and pocket idea.
I have been looking for decals for the sides-haven`t decided yet on a style or color.
I think the rally will be fun-we get to see what others have done to personalize their trailers-maybe we will get some ideas.
I was told June in Kansas is the worst month for rain-hope that isn`t true this year!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Need to replace the canvas (?) on our Compact Jr. I was told outdoor fabric would work. The kind used for outdoor cushion covers on lawn furniture. If this is true I would have dozens of patterns and colors to choose from.
Has anyone used this fabric or know if it would be water resistant enough or how it would hold up on a camper.
Mrs. C.
I went to a local tent&awning shop and they had a variety of colors in good waterproof fabrics. They estimated $150-$200 complete with the "roll-up" window covers with screens.
This was for our 1973 Compact Jr.
The original material was white vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
August_2009_007.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #7

Kansas
Quote:
I went to a local tent&awning shop and they had a variety of colors in good waterproof fabrics. They estimated $150-$200 complete with the "roll-up" window covers with screens.
This was for our 1973 Compact Jr.
The original material was white vinyl.

I am going to check out some awning places-that`s quite a difference from the places I went. Thanks-Mrs. C.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #8

Nebraska
Registry
Hope you find something!

Are we the only one's who have signed up so far for the rally??
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr
I can't say that I have tried this myself, but another compact jr. owner used heavy duty shower curtain material. It may not be as thick as the original vinyl, but the price for the material was considerably less, and you can get it at any general merchant store!

If you have the original for a template, and sewing machine you should be good to go!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #10

Kansas
Quote:
I can't say that I have tried this myself, but another compact jr. owner used heavy duty shower curtain material. It may not be as thick as the original vinyl, but the price for the material was considerably less, and you can get it at any general merchant store!

If you have the original for a template, and sewing machine you should be good to go!
This sounds like an idea! The patterns and colors choices would be endless. We are taking the top apart this weekend so will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info.
Mrs. C.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #11

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Quote:
I can't say that I have tried this myself, but another compact jr. owner used heavy duty shower curtain material....
What I actually used was 8 mil thick shower LINER material. Cost all of $8 from KMart. Just the one package did the whole skirt -- you have to plan your cuts well so that you use the material efficiently.

The biggest problem I had was shoving all that material through the small throat of a standard sewing machine. As a result, my seams wander quite a bit. It also helps a great deal if your sewing machine has a walking foot -- it pulls through the material on top at the same rate as the material on the bottom. My sewing machine does not have a walking foot and as a result I had a difficult time.

The cord at the top and bottom of the skirt gives it the body and stiffness needed to keep the skirt tight against the fiberglass between the screws. The cord is NOT pulled tight!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #12

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Sorry, I left out one very important detail -- the shower liner material is NOT UV resistant. Thus it will last only a season or so. That is OK in my case because I want to do something entirely different for bridging the gap between the lid and the body, but there were more pressing items that needed to be done first. So the cheap skirt just buys me a little time to work on my grand design this coming winter.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #13

Kansas
Quote:
Sorry, I left out one very important detail -- the shower liner material is NOT UV resistant. Thus it will last only a season or so. That is OK in my case because I want to do something entirely different for bridging the gap between the lid and the body, but there were more pressing items that needed to be done first. So the cheap skirt just buys me a little time to work on my grand design this coming winter.
Did you sew the windows in also. We would like to have the windows so we would have air circulation. It would be much easier to make without the windows , though.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #14

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
...snip... grand design this coming winter.
Grand design... hmmm. you'll have to elaborate when we meet again. :-)