Poptop canvas replacement help needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Need to replace the canvas (?) on our Compact Jr. I was told outdoor fabric would work. The kind used for outdoor cushion covers on lawn furniture. If this is true I would have dozens of patterns and colors to choose from.
Has anyone used this fabric or know if it would be water resistant enough or how it would hold up on a camper.
Mrs. C.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Mrs C.

I didn't think outdoor fabric was normally water proof---so I just quickly Googled it. It really isn't---UNLESS it specifically says it is. Otherwise, I saw some products that say they can water proof regular outdoor material.

Your best bet is to Google on the internet possible types of water proof fabric or ask a fabric store attendant.

Looking forward to meeting you in Perry soon!

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi Mrs C.

I didn't think outdoor fabric was normally water proof---so I just quickly Googled it. It really isn't---UNLESS it specifically says it is. Otherwise, I saw some products that say they can water proof regular outdoor material.

Your best bet is to Google on the internet possible types of water proof fabric or ask a fabric store attendant.

Looking forward to meeting you in Perry soon!

Vickie
Wanted to get the Compact Condo all fancied up for the rally but the cost to have new canvas top replaced was around $700-$1200 and couldn`t be done for at least 6 weeks. Just too much money so thought I would see what I could do. Will check internet for ideas. Thanks
See ya in June!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #4

Registry
Of course, you could put on some cute fabric and just put the top down if it's raining!!!! Hancock Fabric has had some great sales this past week.

I'm trying to get "Bean" all spruced up, too! It came with cute cowboy curtains, but not really our style, so I have changed them to a "coffee" motif (hence the new name Bean.) Made slip covers for the cushions--and I do mean slip covers--they slip on like a pillow case and drawstring at one end! I wanted to protect them from the dogs, and change the color.

Now I'm tackling the cabinet doors---not ready to cut new ones, and I don't know how well the laminate facing takes paint---so have thought of something with old denim (including the pockets!!) We'll see----
Old 05-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Of course, you could put on some cute fabric and just put the top down if it's raining!!!! Hancock Fabric has had some great sales this past week.

I'm trying to get "Bean" all spruced up, too! It came with cute cowboy curtains, but not really our style, so I have changed them to a "coffee" motif (hence the new name Bean.) Made slip covers for the cushions--and I do mean slip covers--they slip on like a pillow case and drawstring at one end! I wanted to protect them from the dogs, and change the color.

Now I'm tackling the cabinet doors---not ready to cut new ones, and I don't know how well the laminate facing takes paint---so have thought of something with old denim (including the pockets!!) We'll see----
Like the name!
I have thought of painting the cabinet doors-haven`t had the nerve to try yet. Like the denim and pocket idea.
I have been looking for decals for the sides-haven`t decided yet on a style or color.
I think the rally will be fun-we get to see what others have done to personalize their trailers-maybe we will get some ideas.
I was told June in Kansas is the worst month for rain-hope that isn`t true this year!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Need to replace the canvas (?) on our Compact Jr. I was told outdoor fabric would work. The kind used for outdoor cushion covers on lawn furniture. If this is true I would have dozens of patterns and colors to choose from.
Has anyone used this fabric or know if it would be water resistant enough or how it would hold up on a camper.
Mrs. C.
I went to a local tent&awning shop and they had a variety of colors in good waterproof fabrics. They estimated $150-$200 complete with the "roll-up" window covers with screens.
This was for our 1973 Compact Jr.
The original material was white vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
August_2009_007.jpg  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
I went to a local tent&awning shop and they had a variety of colors in good waterproof fabrics. They estimated $150-$200 complete with the "roll-up" window covers with screens.
This was for our 1973 Compact Jr.
The original material was white vinyl.

I am going to check out some awning places-that`s quite a difference from the places I went. Thanks-Mrs. C.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #8

Registry
Hope you find something!

Are we the only one's who have signed up so far for the rally??
Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr
I can't say that I have tried this myself, but another compact jr. owner used heavy duty shower curtain material. It may not be as thick as the original vinyl, but the price for the material was considerably less, and you can get it at any general merchant store!

If you have the original for a template, and sewing machine you should be good to go!
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
I can't say that I have tried this myself, but another compact jr. owner used heavy duty shower curtain material. It may not be as thick as the original vinyl, but the price for the material was considerably less, and you can get it at any general merchant store!

If you have the original for a template, and sewing machine you should be good to go!
This sounds like an idea! The patterns and colors choices would be endless. We are taking the top apart this weekend so will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info.
Mrs. C.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Quote:
I can't say that I have tried this myself, but another compact jr. owner used heavy duty shower curtain material....
What I actually used was 8 mil thick shower LINER material. Cost all of $8 from KMart. Just the one package did the whole skirt -- you have to plan your cuts well so that you use the material efficiently.

The biggest problem I had was shoving all that material through the small throat of a standard sewing machine. As a result, my seams wander quite a bit. It also helps a great deal if your sewing machine has a walking foot -- it pulls through the material on top at the same rate as the material on the bottom. My sewing machine does not have a walking foot and as a result I had a difficult time.

The cord at the top and bottom of the skirt gives it the body and stiffness needed to keep the skirt tight against the fiberglass between the screws. The cord is NOT pulled tight!
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #12

Sorry, I left out one very important detail -- the shower liner material is NOT UV resistant. Thus it will last only a season or so. That is OK in my case because I want to do something entirely different for bridging the gap between the lid and the body, but there were more pressing items that needed to be done first. So the cheap skirt just buys me a little time to work on my grand design this coming winter.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Sorry, I left out one very important detail -- the shower liner material is NOT UV resistant. Thus it will last only a season or so. That is OK in my case because I want to do something entirely different for bridging the gap between the lid and the body, but there were more pressing items that needed to be done first. So the cheap skirt just buys me a little time to work on my grand design this coming winter.
Did you sew the windows in also. We would like to have the windows so we would have air circulation. It would be much easier to make without the windows , though.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #14

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
...snip... grand design this coming winter.
Grand design... hmmm. you'll have to elaborate when we meet again. :-)
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If I were replacing a pop top, I would go for a high-quality fabric such as one of those used for boat dodgers and biminis (awnings). I say that because, like paint, the cost of materials is usually but a fraction of the cost (or effort if you are using your own time) for the job. A good top will last a long time. Also, you are not talking about a large amount of yardage.

Things to consider are not only water resistance, but the ability of the fabric to withstand repeated "hinging" as you raise and lower the top, plus long-term storage when the top is down, abrasion, UV-resistance, etc. Some coatings stand up to that better than others.

Sailrite is a great, family-owned company that has a large variety of appropriate fabric choices, plus the clear window plastic, and etc. They also have a wonderful paper catalog that is packed with info, and they provide fantastic customer-service over the phone and will be happy to discuss the merits and weak points of any fabric choice.

www.sailrite.com

Raya

PS: Does anyone else remember when tents were just "good old" canvas? Even though it was not waterproof, the walls actually were waterproof until or unless you touched them (from inside) while it was raining. I guess that changed the surface tension.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I think there is an overabundance of concern about waterproof material. Remember, the entire canvas is attached OUTSIDE of the trailer. Even if the rain soaks the canvas, the water will run down either the inside or the outside of the canvas, but will always run down the OUTSIDE of the raised lip of the fiberglass.

I don't recall if I used plain ripstop nylon from REI or the plastic coated type, but it should make little difference, since the rainwater will run off the canvas (ripstop nylon, shower liner or any other material) onto the outside of the trailer top lip.

As for the windows, I installed no-see-um screen from REI in the window openings. Then I made clear plastic windows which were sewn along either the top or bottom (I can't remember which) of the window opening. The windows were larger than the window opening and lined along the ends and one long side with velcro. The windows were sewn to the canvas along the non-velcro edge (either top or bottom) to allow "raising" or "lowering" the windows to expose the no-see-um screen for ventilation. Just remember, if you choose to "fix" the windows at the top, you also have to sew in "ties" to keep the plastic windows rolled up for ventilation.

Mike

Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #17

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
I had my top replaced with vinyl and the cost was $250.00. I had the shop double screen the windows and leave off the roll up part. If it gets cold or rains I pop the top down. I was not offered any color or pattern choices, just plain white.

Linda

Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Did you sew the windows in also. We would like to have the windows so we would have air circulation. It would be much easier to make without the windows , though.
Yes -- in fact it was the windows, with their large cutouts in the skirt, that made it possible to do the whole skirt witn just the one shower curtain liner.

I sewed in fiberglass screens, but didn't bother putting in clear plastic windows. I figured that if conditions were such that I didn't want the airflow I probably didn't want the top up either. So far that has worked out OK -- we've been places where it was too cold to have the top up, or too windy -- the rest of the time the top's up and it's been nice having the "Scenicruiser view" as well as the air flow.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #19

Here is a picture Cliff took of our Compact Jr with the new skirt:

Click image for larger version

Name:	11_2_2009_5_51_13_AM.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	28033
Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Cotton canvas: cotton fibers swell when wet so the outside would be wet but the swollen fibers created a seal. Those old canvas tents had a really bad smell when they dried out from a rain shower. Likely we were exposed to all types of fungi, molds and mildew as kids.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote