Portable Air Compressor - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
SuperFlow MV50 - Air Compressor | O'Reilly Auto Parts

This is the Air compressor I use. I also carry it in my offroad excursions where we air down our tires and have to refill the tires after our trip. I bought 2 of these about 10 years ago. I keep one in my offroad rig and the other one goes with me on trips. They have worked very well for our needs and they are cheap in price for the performance you get. They draw too much power to plug into a cigarette lighter so it has clips to attach to a car battery. It is wise to run the engine while the compressor is running unless you're filling up something small like a bike tire. It's about the size of a pair of soft hiking boots. Small and easy to stuff in cramped quarters. It all comes in a small bag included.

Just add a good tire gauge and your off and running. We have used these for several trucks at a time running for over an hour without having to shut down to cool off. I would buy them again in a heartbeat if I needed another one.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #16

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Guy View Post
I always carry a Ryobi 18 volt compresser with me every day due also to the job sites that I frequent. Portable, cheap (as long as you have the batteries) and due to no cords very convenient to use.
Ryobi compressor is very light duty. It dies (plastic parts on the gears melt) if the compressor is up for more than 10-15 minutes. I use it ( a seconds one, the first one died) for bicycle and to add air to car's tires only. Forget about inflating utility trailer tires to 90 PSI, the compressor will die.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Harbor Freight, Wal Mart & others sell little 12V compressors the size of a brick.They are much less weight & bulk and run only $10-20. If one failed I'd just replace it. Neither of mine has failed. They are noisy, but it is no issue. Carried them in ATV box over a decade.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #18

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
Recently, on our return from Florida, towing our (new to me) fiberglass trailer, I had developed a bit of sway every time a semi passed us. One of the rear tires on my tow vehicle was low - about 35 psi vs the other side which was 42 psi. We stopped at 3 different places, all had compressors from "Air America". $2.50 at each one to use it. I used our quarters set aside for laundry, not wanting to put one of our credit cards on their system (paranoid, maybe). Not one of the compressors worked and none returned my money. I did call the company asking for a refund- turns out you need the exact time and the code number marked on the machine to get a refund, not the store name and location of the machine. And you can't actually get to a company employee- the calls are transferred to operators. But, now I carry a compressor. I never did find out why the tire was low, but airing it up solved the sway problem. I finally got air from a tire service truck that was changing a semi's tire in a parking lot. The service truck's operator would not take any money for the air.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 (on order) & 2017 Jeep GC 5.7 (Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Laura and I completed a trip (460 mile round trip) to the Smoky Mountain National Park in mid-April.
Quote:
Laura and I completed a 1900 mile 12 day camping trip in early June with our new tires and wheels.
Quote:
I upgraded from 14″ wheels to 15″ wheels in order to accommodate newer tires that were 10 ply rather than 6 ply.
Dean,

1) I am envious. You are getting a pretty fast start for someone who was going to buy a trailer 'in a few years'; I need to get out more!

2) I recently purchased a ViAir as my tow vehicle has a "collapsible" spare tire. I needed to use it within weeks of purchase when a plug repair (with no patch inside) failed in the middle of an 800-mile trip (not towing).

I like the ViAir. Mine is the 85P and has a 60 psi limit. I like the aluminum head which dissipates heat well. As others have noted, these little compressors (most/all brands) generally have a limited duty cycle such as fifteen minutes.

I too am curious regarding 80 psi in the tires. Please tell us more about these new ten-ply skins.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I also carry along a cheap, off brand 12 Volt compressor and have used it on the road in Labrador patching and inflating the TV tire. Otherwise I use it when I inflate the tires after wintering on jack stands and at reduced pressure.

80psi seems very high for a light trailer, the tires do not have to be at the maximum rated pressure to carry your load. Somebody mentioned the rough ride that probably results.

Also, the tire pressure monitors are neat, I recently bought the TST "starter pack" - two sensors and the read out ($160). Put it on your B-day or Christmas wish list!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #21

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
I bought a Viair 90P from Amazon a couple of weeks ago (recommended by others), because my 100v AC one from Sears wouldn't get my Casita tires to 60 lbs (not 80—where did you get that number?). Haven't used it yet. It comes with clamps to run directly off the battery, as it needs 20A, and most cigarette-lighter type outlets are fused for 15A. Viair says to keep the TV engine running, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Viair-93-VIAI.../dp/B001MXL71A

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #22

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Thanks for the great feedback regarding the air compressor.

I would get a 12v rather than a 120V air compressor. I know some folks have inverters for their RVs or have 120V outlets in their tow vehicles. Given limited access to 120V outlets when out on the road, I am go to go with a 12v unit. I can get one that plugs into a 12v outlet or one that clips to my tow vehicle's battery. I am thinking the one that clips to a battery would be more robust, particularly with the engine running. Of course, I will have to determine if the hose would reach the trailer tires or if I would need a longer hose.

It looks like several of you like your Viair units. Nice! However, others have other units that you like as well. I have read good reviews on some of the Slime units.

Regarding my tire pressure at 80 lbs., here is a quick summary:

1. When we got our new to us Casita, the tires were 6 years old. The Casita had the standard size wheels that came on a '05 Casita (14" rims). I was hoping to get one season of use out of the tires. LOOKED fine in terms of tread and no cracking. D'oh!
2. After our first trip out of town (460 mile round trip to the Smoky Mts), the tires were shot. I was lucky to get home without two blowouts. The old tires were 6 ply and C rated with a max psi of 65. From what I can tell, they were good tires. They were just old.
3. So I did my typical, I started researching. I noticed that Casita now offers 15" wheels on their trailers, which used to be their optional wheel.
4. I also noticed that I could get more variety in tires for 15" wheels in terms of number of plies and load rating.
5. So, I went to Trailer World and bought three 15" wheels.
6. I then went to my favorite auto shop/tire dealer and spoke with them about new ST tires. By going with the 15" tires, I upgraded to 10 plies rather than 6 and they were E rated rather than C rated. In addition, the max psi for the tire is 80 lbs.
7. There seems to be lots of opinions on how much pressure to put in a tire whether a car tire or a trailer tire.
8. I attended the RV Safety and Educational Foundation conference in May. Very cool. Walter Cannon was one the main facilitators at the conference. He is a tire safety guru. What I gleaned from the conference is that a tire is designed to be run at maximum psi. In terms of the tire pressure going up after it is warm, it will, but the manufacturer builds this capacity into the tire. I have not been running 80 psi in the tires, but I have chosen to keep them at around 76 psi (95% of max).

So the reason I want an air compressor that can easily handle 80 psi is because my tires are rated at 80 psi max.

I will keep ya posted on the air compressor.

Take care,

Dean
Old 07-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #23

Kentucky
Registry
Hi,

Wow, several of you have mentioned other brands that you have purchased and liked. I will check them out!

Thx,

Dean
Old 07-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #24

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Mike!

Yup, Laura and I got off to a quick start this camping season with 20 nights camping from late March to early June. Unfortunately, I am bogged down at work now. The next 6 months are going to be brutal, but I am still hoping to camp at least another 10 to 15 nights between now and mid October.

Plus, I learned from my 1,900 mile trip that until I become more proficient, I would rather stay closer to home, drive less, and camp more.

Take care,

Dean

P.S. - LOL, you are right, a quick start for someone who was going to buy a trailer in a few years! Love fiberglass RVs and love our Casita!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #25

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Dean, I don't know enough to say this is a problem, but: Casita offers a 15" wheel upgrade with a higher-lift axle (which you can have done yourself by 'flipping' the axle), and a D-range tire rated at 60 lbs. So you have put a heftier tire on what I assume is their standard axle. It might be fine, but I'd check with Casita and ask them, just to be sure.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #26

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
I dunno.....

been carrying a small compressor for YEARS (towing boats before and TT now)......run 40 PSI on ALL my tires (TV and tow)

just what I do (?).....07 Nitro....97 BF17
Attached Thumbnails
church2.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #27

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Lynn,

The PO of our Casita ordered it with the factory lift kit and then he had Orbital Machine Works add an additional 3" bolt on lift kit along with the Casita Shock Kit and a hitch receiver. So, I have plenty of room for the 15" wheel/tire combo. In fact, I made sure to to research the Casita website to order the same size wheels as they are putting on their current trailers.

I THINK I am in good shape. I appreciate your thoughts.

Take care,

Dean
Old 07-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #28

Kentucky
Registry
Francois,

LOVE that combo. Looks great! I am a Bigfoot fan. And, my next tow vehicle will be white if possible.

Take care,

Dean