Portable Air Compressor - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #29

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Here is my old tire and the blister I discovered when we returned from our 1st road trip. Ugly!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #30

Kentucky
Registry
Here are the new wheels and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 07-08-2016, 02:54 AM   #31
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
That tire is just scary. Any idea what the brand and date of manufacture was ?
Old 07-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #32

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If tires are intended to run at their max rating, what is the purpose of the tire pressures listed on the door frame of your car or truck? And note they often recommend a higher pressure under full load, but even that is well under the max PSI on the tire. Or the factory sticker inside my Bigfoot that says run at 35 PSI? Or the manufacturers' tables of tire pressure vs load at each size tire?
I've upgraded my tires to a size that has a max 80 PSI rating. I run them at 50. I check them frequently on the road and they always run cool.

Walt
Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #33

Kentucky
Registry
Hi,

Raz, I have forgotten the manufacturer of the old tires. It was a name that I had not heard of, but I think was a pretty decent tire based on my research, but I went with a tire recommended by my auto shop/tire store. Great folks that I have worked with for 20 years. The old tires were manufactured in July, 2010. Obviously, my decision to get one more year of use out of them was incorrect. Luckily, I had no problems on the road and the OBVIOUS blister above hit me over the head that I needed new tires. In the future, I will probably change trailer tires a every 4 years (plus/minus 1 year) rather than 6 years (plus/minus 1 year). Also, tire covers were one of my first purchases after getting the Casita. For about $180 for three new tires, I would rather have the insurance of changing them too often than erring and keeping them too long.

Walt, understood. I have wondered as well about the descrepancy between what the tire says vs. what my car/truck says regarding tire pressure. My tire shop recommends going with what the car/truck recommends for psi.

In terms of the trailer, I don't recollect Casita recommending a psi for tires on their trailers. In my case, I was going with a different type and rated tire than what came on the Casita anyway. Based on the tire and the manufacturers website, the max psi is 80 lbs. Based on what I gleaned from the RVSEF conference and from some tire websites, tires should be ran at max psi.

By no means does this newbie (me) profess to be an expert about any of this. I want to get a portable air compressor to keep my tires "properly" inflated whatever the ding-dang that means!

Take care,

Dean
Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #34

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Here is my old tire and the blister I discovered when we returned from our 1st road trip. Ugly!
It's impossible to say for certain, but that blister could have been caused by an impact with something. That section of the tire where the bruise is, is a thin part of the sidewall of the tire. If you look at any tire that part just above the tread where the bruise is, is widest point on the tire. Since the thick tread is somewhat narrower than the lower sidewall and the thin part with the bruise is the most flexible, this is a common place for this to occur. The tire industry often refers to damage like this as "road hazard" caused by curbs, potholes, railroad crossings etc.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #35
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
My trailer, bought new, came with Carlisle radial trail 175/80/R13 tires. Maximum load is 1360 lbs per tire or 2720 total. The axle, at 2200 lbs is the limiting factor. The factory trailer weight was 1400 lbs, with stuff it's up to 1700!bs. Trillium recommended 32 psi, Carlisle recommends 50 psi, the maximum. My guess is that Trillium derated because even with the trailer loaded, the tires are no where near there maximum load and it would provide a gentler ride. When two experts disagree you've got to make a decision on your own. Having had a bad experience with an under inflated tire in the past, I go with 50 psi. Raz
Old 07-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #36

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
My son got this compressor at Lowes and likes it.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-Volt...flator/3522750
You plug it in, tell it what pressure you want, and press "Start".

It fills to that pressure and stops automatically. ☺

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #37

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I carry a small portable unit that goes to 120 PSI as it also inflates bicycle tires that require 100 PSI.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #38

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts about a portable air compressor. After reading and researching, I narrowed it down to going to Lowe's and buying the Kobalt model that Ray suggested for only $50 or ordering the Viair 88P for $66 from Amazon. Hey, I needed a 4" PVC cap for for my sewer hose storage that apparently fell off on the way home from our last trip. Since it was only $7 on Amazon, I needed to spend at least $35 for free shipping, so I bought the Viair 88P!

Actually, I am kidding a bit. I chose the Viair 88P. I also ordered a small canvas tool bag to store the air compressor and I ordered the 6' extension hose for the air compressor. And the sewer cap!

I will post an update after I get the Viair.

Thanks again,

Dean
Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #39

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
I got a
MasterFlow Tsunami MF-1050 12 Volt Portable Hi Volume Air Compressor

Part # MF1050 SKU: 9357343

from Pep Boys $59.95

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9357343/00202

It is 12 volt but draws 30 amps. Too much juice for a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug. You raise the hood and clip the cables directly to your battery posts.
Not expensive and puts out a lot of air. I would buy another.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #40

Name: Steve
Georgia
Another vote for Viair--I used to trail ride with my Landcruiser, and that was the standard in the offroad world. A lot of people mounted them in the engine compartment for onboard air, since you commonly let some air out of the tires when rock crawling, and have to air back up to drive home. I kept mine portable (it came with battery clips, 12v), so I can carry it in whichever vehicle we're driving.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #41

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I just received my new Viair 88P from Amazon yesterday. Dean's post prompted me to buy a compressor. Have not tried it yet. I'll post a product review soon.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #42

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Jack,

LOL, I still have not received my Viair 88P yet! I think ordering it with the extra 6' hose has slowed down the delivery process. No biggie.

Looking forward to your product review.

Take care,

Dean