Portable car shelters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Portable car shelters

I am considering the purchase of a portable shelter for the trailer so that I can work on it into the colder months, with the use of a small electric heater.
For my fellow Canucks, Can. Tire has one on sale for about 400.00 this weekend.
Does anyone use one of these shelters? My concerns are whether they are really difficult to put up and whether one in this price range would be too flimsy.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You need to know what your local bylaws say about erecting a portable shelter and you need to know the door height ( can you get the trailer through the door ). If you don't want it to end up in Saskatchewan, you need to anchor it, so total cost isn't $400.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

Ontario
Yes, I have heard about regulations in some municipalities but we live in a rural area where almost anything goes. Our backyard is fairly sheltered and it would be tucked in beside the garage but, yes, I would anchor it too. I have the same aggravation that I have read about in other threads- the garage door that is just a little too low and on a 800 sq foot garage!
Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Yes, I have heard about regulations in some municipalities but we live in a rural area where almost anything goes. Our backyard is fairly sheltered and it would be tucked in beside the garage but, yes, I would anchor it too. I have the same aggravation that I have read about in other threads- the garage door that is just a little too low and on a 800 sq foot garage!
Patricia, two things come to mind. As you're rural why not build a trailer port off the side of the garage? A roof and a few uprights and you're done. Or second, do you have enough ceiling height to raise the garage door for clearance? Out of site and protected too .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

Ontario
I would love to put a carport onto the garage but that is not to be. My trailer project is already testing the patience of my partner who has no interest in trailers and travel. My solution has to be as low key as possible.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Word of Caution;
Be careful how close to the existing garage you locate the 'portable' unit. I've seen several collapsed ($400. CTC 'plastic tarped' Units !!) that couldn't bear the snow load that suddenly slid off the roof of the adjoining/nearby building. We chose to build a sturdy stick-built garage, specifically for our Boler; and, with a 9 foot high door.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

Ontario
Good point as the shelter would be by the downward slope of the roof.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #8

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
The Garage

You might be able to let most of the air out of your tires to give you the additional clearance. to roll back into garage (20 feet will not hurt them.) However, if your concerned about letting air out of the tires, remove the tires from the rims it may give you the clearance you need.
Ben in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Boler
Washington
I know of one person who has a small set of tires and rims just for the purpose of getting it into the garage.
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've been using one for my popup camper for about 4 years now. It's a regular car shelter, 12X16, I paid about $300 for it. Reasonably well constructed.

Now I'm looking at one for my Trillium. Most car shelters are too low, typically 8ft at the top but with a 6.5ft clearance at the door. My trailer is 8ft high, plus a 10" maxxair vent on top of it, total 8'10". There are shelters made for higher vehicles, but they are much more expensive, and with the tapered sides I'm not even sure my 90in wide trailer would fit in some of the 12 ft wide models.
So I'm looking for a custom-size shelter, I've sent a couple emails to local shelter manufacturers to see what their prices would be. May be not much more expensive than the large ones Canadian Tire sells.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Portable shelter, do not buy a Costco Shelter in snow country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You need to know what your local bylaws say about erecting a portable shelter and you need to know the door height ( can you get the trailer through the door ). If you don't want it to end up in Saskatchewan, you need to anchor it, so total cost isn't $400.
: reason is they last about 3-4 years then the fabric is not good and caves in plus the poles all bend which can cause damage to your trailer, car or what ever you have inside.
In BC one has to stay back 25' from the front property line, side is 3' and rear is anywhere from 3' to 5' other than that u can set one up.
I myself have a all steel structure as I got tired of having the Fabric ones cave in. But now we don't seem to get snow but in the past we surely did.
We have been totally snow less in the lower mainland the last 2 years and 2 years ago no snow on the Mountains same goes for 2010 when they held the Olympics here.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Big big fan of the prefab metal carports and garages. Down here I bought the garage first, which is really just a carport with walls, then later I added a carport to it. I had been looking at a stick built garage, and the metal structure was about 10% of the quotes I had on a stick build garage. I do wish I had gotten a taller one. I bought the garage before the camper, and got nine foot side wall height. Would have only cost a few hundred $ more to go 10 foot. Oh well, at least I didn't get 8 foot side wall.

I have the additional problem of entering on one of the side walls, due to my lot configuration. They have a lot more clearance from the front or the back, but that was not an option for me. I just had the side wall header raised on the carport so the Casita fits.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: reason is they last about 3-4 years then the fabric is not good and caves in plus the poles all bend which can cause damage to your trailer, car or what ever you have inside.
In BC one has to stay back 25' from the front property line, side is 3' and rear is anywhere from 3' to 5' other than that u can set one up.
I myself have a all steel structure as I got tired of having the Fabric ones cave in. But now we don't seem to get snow but in the past we surely did.
We have been totally snow less in the lower mainland the last 2 years and 2 years ago no snow on the Mountains same goes for 2010 when they held the Olympics here.
Stude
Because in the Pacific Northwest we just moved into a La Nina cycle we will have heavier than normal snow levels. Not as much as the strongest La Nina years but still very different weather than the previous two years in El Nino jet stream patterns. It is time to get out the winter gear and make sure it is in good condition.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #14

British Columbia
Bellingham and Ferndale areas get way less snow than BC does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Because in the Pacific Northwest we just moved into a La Nina cycle we will have heavier than normal snow levels. Not as much as the strongest La Nina years but still very different weather than the previous two years in El Nino jet stream patterns. It is time to get out the winter gear and make sure it is in good condition.
:yes they keep predicting that were in for snow this year so I made the snow blower ready, as so much easier than shovelling the wet stuff we get. A friend who goes south about this time every year for around 4 months picks up at the Mexican sale flea market vendors the corners where the roof meets the wall pipe they are so much stronger than anything on the market, they never bend from snow load then he picks up real good quality pipe and cuts to size also installs support at top and same where it bends so not to have that crushed item inside from heavy snow. he has never had a problem since doing this.
Stude
Old 09-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:yes they keep predicting that were in for snow this year so I made the snow blower ready, as so much easier than shovelling the wet stuff we get. A friend who goes south about this time every year for around 4 months picks up at the Mexican sale flea market vendors the corners where the roof meets the wall pipe they are so much stronger than anything on the market, they never bend from snow load then he picks up real good quality pipe and cuts to size also installs support at top and same where it bends so not to have that crushed item inside from heavy snow. he has never had a problem since doing this.
Stude
:Forgot to mention he also builds a 3' 2x6" wall under it to give height for putting his Bigfoot 5th wheel under and inside.
Stude