Portable Garage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #15

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: 2008 Scamp Deluxe 16 ft
Minnesota
I hadn't thought of the metal carport option. I had in mind that I needed a full enclosure, but maybe I don't. Fortunately, I also park the trailer on the side of the house behind a privacy fence. So, anything that is put up will be on the side of the house or further back if more width is needed. I also thought this might be a good time to do it since the house next to me is vacant.

What is this "30 seconds" that is sprayed on?

Cheryl

Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I hadn't thought of the metal carport option. I had in mind that I needed a full enclosure, but maybe I don't.

What is this "30 seconds" that is sprayed on?
I'm glad mine is not fully enclosed Cheryl. There's no electricity out there and I think it would make it extemely dark...even in the day time.

A metal single car carport runs about $800 (put up) around here in Portland, OR

Here's some info about the 30 Seconds stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #17
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I'm with Donna on the open one, for all the reasons she stated. Mine gets really dirty when the wind blows (often here), but like she said, it's just rinses off. The other day, I was out there in the rain and I was able to keep the door open. It's really nice.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #18

Minnesota
I think I really like the idea of the open sided carport. It will provide shade, keep the snow off and allow plenty of ventilation and hopefully last for more than a few years. I think it sounds like a great solution. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
UV rays kill fiberglass. It shortens it's life by quite a bit. If you plan on keeping your trailer for 20 years, you should get it out of direct sunlight.

Make sure your portable garage will hold up to snow loads and extreme wind.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #20

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Massachusetts
Hey folks,

Take a look at these guys.
http://www.creativeshelters.com

I have used them for other pojects and have been happy with their products. You buy the fittings and the tarps you need and the pipe from your local hardware store. Their fittings fit standard EMT and Fence pipe sizes so you can pretty much create any custom shelter you want. I have a standard 10 x 20 over the Boler beside the garage but ended up with a big rip in the roof from a heavy snow load this year. Also the bunggies don't seem to hold up in the New England cold. The four season garages use a heavier tarp and the continuous ground to roof to ground tarp will handle the load better.

Since mine is right next to the garage, I am considering using parts to turn it into a lean-to type so the All of the snow and water goes away from the house. For those of you with spare time on your hands you might talk a look at this bow house structure. The truss system is very strong for the light weight. http://www.microcruising.com/shed.htm
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
some good DIY ideas in those links Rob. I was interested in the Sport Shade from Microcrusing, but the link is busted...or rather takes one to the Large Outdoor Screen...so poked around until I found a good link:
Sport Shade for those interested in making their own awning for their trailer...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #22

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The shelter we use for sheltering has sides and ends, but I have elected not to use the ends to allow plenty of air movement plus allowing easier access to the trailer itself. The shelter is orientated basically north/south and thus offers better protection for the f'glass AND rubber tires from those U V rays....
Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #23

Minnesota
I like the creative shelters site. Lotís of great ideas!

Iím waiting for a call back from the city regarding the ordinance before I will know if Iíll be putting up some type of shelter. It sounds like I can, but the requirements of where it must be located may not work for me. So, I may end up having to go with a cover. I was told the calmark covers are good. I would prefer the carport structure, but if itís not an option, Iíll order a cover.