Portable Table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would like to bring along a portable table on some trips. I will be doing some boondocking so would need a table outside then, and also would like a table under my awning where the campsite ones are not movable (an often not right by the trailer).

I am thinking something that would seat at least 4 people. A bit bigger would be nice too, though storage and portability would be important.

I would like to do all our outdoor food prep, cooking, dishwashing, etc. on it as well, so would want one that is fairly sturdy. I do realize I may have to give up some stability for portability.

I remember seeing one table that had adjustable leg height and could be used at eating or coffee table height, but am not sure where. That would be cool, but not necessary.

So, I am real interested in hearing solutions and ideas for folks out there who have either used something they really like, or have ideas on what would work good for this situation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Check out the E-Z Folding Table at REI (sorry, I haven't mastered posting links yet). It may not be quite as big as you are looking for (71" x 31.5"), but it is relatively light (23 lbs), folds up to 19" x 31.5" x 5.5" and is probably as large and sturdy as you are going to find for a portable camp table. We have one and have been pleased so far. It's rather pricey ($95) but, if you wait for one of REI's 20% off coupons, that makes the price somewhat more palatable.
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Jim...We got ours at Crabby Tire I think. It is like a black mini version of a banquet table. Plastic top, folding metal tube legs, and height adjustable. It rides quite nicely on the bed upside down and after the awning it's the next thing up. Holds a toaster, slo cooker, cribbage board and drinks, and hides the wheel n tire from view.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Jim,

We bought a folding version that is very compact. You have to be careful when setting it up as it's made of alumnium but once it is up it's quite robust. We also got a small Coleman stand for our water container:

Edit: Ack, fast reply broke the links, let's try that again - for our American members use postal code V0R1S0:

Woods cook table

Portable Table
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is a link to the table Brian mentioned at REI: E-Z Folding Table

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
We have 2 one for the water carrier.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20055690

and one for cooking:

A wenzel 826700 aluminum table that folds into a skinny bag. I can't find it anymore but we bought it at Sams several years back. The top is aluminum slats.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks for all the ideas so far.
Lots of good ideas to consider.

Brian, that E-Z folding table that Donna linked to looks great, though a bit bigger then what I was thinking. I like the way it folds up and the size in knocks down to.

Alf, is THIS the one you were referring to? It could be the one I saw before. It is a bit big to store, but like you said, one could keep it on the bed, and set it up right away. There might be times though when I would not want to use it at all though, but I guess I could slide it under the trailer.

Booker, I like that cook table, but would also need a smaller table for eating at as well.

pjanits, the Ikea one is really too small, but again the thought of two smaller tables is not that out of the question either. Is THIS the Wnzel table you referred to? I have seen similar smaller and shorter ones used on canoe trips.

I have to get some work done yet today, but will search online for more ideas and throw them up here for comments by you all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Jim... Yepper thats it... tho we got it on sale in May or June for $39.95 I think. It works great and even I can't upset it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
So, I am real interested in hearing solutions and ideas for folks out there who have either use something they really like, or have ideas on what would work good for this situation.
I got a nifty folding--actually, rolling--table for mother's day last year. It is very sneaky how it goes together and I always have to look at the instructions to remember, but once it is up, will hold a person sitting on it!!! I think hubby got it at Camper's World, I think.
It looks like the one on this link.

http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/c...ear-38399.html

He maybe ordered online, not sure. I know they have a bigger version, but this works fine for holding stuff and to cook on. We use the provided picnic tables to eat on, or just sit in our chairs.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
i got a folding plastic table at home depot 5 ft ithink(have also seen them at costco) which folds in half at the middle then i made a bracket to hold it on the tongue behind the propane bottles in upright position. lightweight, travels well and loads real easy. stronger table than the aluminum camp tables and weather doesent faze it.
jeff y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
I got a nifty folding--actually, rolling--table for mother's day last year. It is very sneaky how it goes together and I always have to look at the instructions to remember, but once it is up, will hold a person sitting on it!!! I think hubby got it at Camper's World, I think.
It looks like the one on this link.

http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/c...ear-38399.html

Name:   6114_w2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  3.9 KB

That's the kind we've got and I think it's one of our most valuable camping possessions. We leave our bed set up as a bed and I hate depending on the provided (or not) picnic tables. This one works great and folds up small.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
pjanits, the Ikea one is really too small, but again the thought of two smaller tables is not that out of the question either. Is THIS the Wnzel table you referred to? I have seen similar smaller and shorter ones used on canoe trips.

It's similar to that but has an x shaped frame and is rectangular. about 30X 60 maybe.
LL bean has one similar
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...-ppxs&dds=y
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
We have one similar to the last one. I use it beside the trailer for the cookstove if we cook outside, the water jug, the toaster oven if we are at a full service place... Just very handy and quite light....

Bought it a few years ago at "Real Canadian Superstore" Loblaws. Around $50 if I remember correctly...
It is aluminum and the top rolls up to store in a nice bag. The legs fold and collapse.

I used to store it under the bed in the Boler cause it was all closed in---guess it will just ride on the bed in the Escape.
Yesterday, I put in all the poles for the screen room in the same bag. Easy place to store them and everything all together....

Jim---You'll be able to see it at the Fort Langley meet..
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1743__Small_.JPG  
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #14

Registry
Sandra, that one looks good too. I am tossing about the idea of having a two table setup, one for eating and one for cooking/washing etc. I'm starting to like the idea of the roll-up aluminum though. it would fit nicely into storage, and would not be too affected by a stove.

Jeff, I could not find anything at costco.ca, or homedepot.ca.

There is THIS roll-up aluminum one that is 28x55, and ALPS has another 28x43 too. the 28x55 would seem like near an ideal size, a bit of camp gear on one end and room for 2 to eat, plus could easily be used for 4 if needed too.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
We have one similar to the last one. I use it beside the trailer for the cookstove if we cook outside, the water jug, the toaster oven if we are at a full service place... Just very handy and quite light....

Bought it a few years ago at "Real Canadian Superstore" Loblaws. Around $50 if I remember correctly...
It is aluminum and the top rolls up to store in a nice bag. The legs fold and collapse.

I used to store it under the bed in the Boler cause it was all closed in---guess it will just ride on the bed in the Escape.
Yesterday, I put in all the poles for the screen room in the same bag. Easy place to store them and everything all together....

Jim---You'll be able to see it at the Fort Langley meet..
It looks like a good size. Do you know the brand name &/or size perchance. You can't search for items at RCS website.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is completely different, but if you are looking for a table to set beverages and the like under the awning... I think this is a totally cool setup: Wheel Well Table, unfortunately my Scamp has fender skirts so I can' t make one that would work
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Jim,

Camping World carries a great roll up aluminum table. Here is the link:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/...32-square/37593

Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #18

Registry
That is a neat idea you linked to Donna. I could do a wide one with the tandem wheel well of the Escape 19.

Thanks Charlene, the 32x32 seems to be a popular item out there.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
We have a table rail on the outside of the trailer and use the table from inside or this homemade one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0016_01.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	19368

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000932_2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	19373

Alf took this picture of our inside table outside
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #20

Registry
That looks great James, though I would definitely go with a separate one out if I went that direction. I don't know if I can bring myself to drill holes in the side of my new trailer though.

I had that feature in a Coleman tent trailer I had almost 15 years ago, where you brought the inside table out to use. It also had a real outdoor propane stove that slide out of a compartment on the side that was a great feature too.