Possible trillium--no title, no serial # - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm..... Gutted, over-priced, no title, unknown make & year, wrong registration and needing lots of work.

OK - now that we have covered the good news, are there any potential drawbacks on this deal

Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #16

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Thanks, guys, for more input. For some reason I wasn't notified there were new messages on the thread. Roger CH, thank you for that info and I am sending my hubby tomorrow to look, so I will be sure he checks all that. I wouldn't think the fiberglass was removed. He said he did not like the insulation--foam with some kind of vinyl? I think Trillium did that. It was dirty and he removed it and sanded off the remains. We will definitely check that it is intact.

Re: gutted and overpriced, what is the attraction, etc? Well you probably haven't seen another post of mine on this board earlier. It still has a bed and a/c and storage. It would appeal to me if it was in good shape basically, because it would have no mold issues. Especially old insulation like that. I have chemical sensitivities. We've camped a lot in tents and I've gone into every scamp and casita I saw, and they are popular enough I've been in a number. The older ones feel better to me, they have totally offgassed their chemicals. I went into a five year old, 13 foot scamp recently--owners got it new at the scamp factory--and it stunk of chemicals, to me. I also did not think it was as well made as the older scamps--that was just intuitive, not like I got down on hands and knees to examine everything. A new Egg--it was really beautiful, more so than scamps or casitas, with reflectix insulation which is very mold resistant, and taller, and all shiny inside, but it really stank of fiberglass and new chemicals, even the owner admitted it bothered her (a 2011). A well used (six months a year) 2008 casita, Spirit Deluxe, was fine when I went in. So...I've learned a lot. A frequently used egg only has to be about four years old. A recreational egg only used a few times a year, will still be chemical. Older eggs are cheaper and I do better with them. I would kind of enjoy putting in my own really pretty sink, cabinets etc. Kind of in the spirit of the Don VARDO, which is designed by Portland Alternative Dwellings...and I think I could do it fairly cheaply, as I have a talented friend.

I don't have to offer what he wants, anyway. As you may have noticed, Gerry and her husband advertised their 1995 scamp for $11,000. I commented it was overpriced. They came down to $10,000. In a phone conversation I had with her I said I thought it was probably worth $7,000 at most and if she came down to $8,000 and was negotiable, call me. Well, she and I had problems--she would alternate between urging me to come see it, and telling me to forget it. Maybe she wasn't admitting to herself at that point that it really was overpriced. A month later, they dropped the price to $7500...but I never followed up on that, because the last time she told me to forget it, I'd called her after packing up and getting onto the highway to drive to her, and I was really put out...but I assume they have sold it by now, for about the price it initially seemed worth to me...which was $4000 lower than their initial asking price.

So, just because someone puts a price on it, if it's beyond the market, they will probably come to their senses sooner or later

However, a title problem, that I DO NOT want. For sure. I agree there and appreciate the input.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Personally, I think all sellers should start high and I'd not be inclined to listen to just one person telling me my price is out of line. That's what gaining knowledge is about... finding out for myself what I may get for what I'm selling. Remember, you can always come down in price, but once you have a buyer... you can't go up. And, I'd NEVER buy a trailer without a title. Because the state I live in REQUIRES titles for travel trailers. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Alrighty then, Thanks for the explanation Jen.

The insulation is probably ensolite which is found in many older rv's.

Well, since your looking for your perfect trailer at the perfect price I do hope you know it may take time to find the perfect one! Wishing you luck! Do post pic's if you buy it.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #19

Georgia
Hi Donna D, others weighed in the price was too high. It was kind of obvious. $11,000 for a 1995 scamp with no shower? When at the very same time in the same area a 2006 Casita with shower was only $11,500? The whole thread should still be there. They eventually realized it, too. I think the issue with starting very high is it means your trailer sits, and then perhaps, the fact you've tried to sell it a few times, dropping price each time, can make buyers a little hesitant. But whatever.

Re: the title situation, in my state, older than 86 and under 2000 pounds does not have to have a title; and if upgraded to a homemade RV they can title that. Homemade RV's are allowed. So I think it's probably okay, but another wrinkle is transporting it. If the guy does not let me use his tag, I would theoretically have to buy it, get a bill of sale, drive a few hours to my DMV, after having had a local officer fill out a form verifying it's roadworthy, and get the tag. Now, I don't know this guy. What if he took my money and then the trailer got "stolen"? I'm just thinking of worst case scenarios. I remember when we were interesting in buying an old classic 1993 Saab in our former city, and the owner agreed on a price, but later on he didn't like it, so his fancy radio/cd player got "stolen" out of his car the night before we were to pick up the car and buy it from him. And there was not a scratch--somehow someone had gotten in, without breaking windows or locks, removed the radio, and nothing was damaged, not a hair out of place. IE he stole his own radio because he decided he didn't like the price. So anything is possible in this world...

So how have others who travelled and bought a trailer dealt with that, just curious? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #20

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Alrighty then, Thanks for the explanation Jen.

The insulation is probably ensolite which is found in many older rv's.

Well, since your looking for your perfect trailer at the perfect price I do hope you know it may take time to find the perfect one! Wishing you luck! Do post pic's if you buy it.
Thanks Robin, I'll google it.
I don't need the perfect trailer--but I have to have one without significant chemicals or mold. Yeah, I know it takes time. I've looked on here, and on the FB Molded Fiberglass (he posts a lot of great ones for sale here and in Canada) and on my Craigspal software every day...it's not that I don't see some really great ones, they're just often WAY FAR AWAY!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
If the guy does not let me use his tag, I would theoretically have to buy it, get a bill of sale, drive a few hours to my DMV, after having had a local officer fill out a form verifying it's roadworthy, and get the tag. Now, I don't know this guy. What if he took my money and then the trailer got "stolen"? I'm just thinking of worst case scenarios..
I doubt he will let you use his tags - I've never let anybody take mine when I've sold a vehicle to them. But the bill of sale IS sufficient. I'd recommend typing up 2 copies before you go (or see if he will) and you each sign as seller/buyer - and each take a copy with you. In the end, you'll each have a signed copy stating the date/sale/price - and he couldn't claim 'stolen' after that. It also gets you a grace period with your insurance company (call them first to let them know you may be towing a trailer home) and the highway patrol.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Hi Donna D, others weighed in the price was too high. It was kind of obvious. $11,000 for a 1995 scamp with no shower? When at the very same time in the same area a 2006 Casita with shower was only $11,500?

As far as the overpriced topic, I believe all of us were talking about the (Possible Trillium, no title, no serial) not any other sale you were part of. I know for myself, I was asking because you stated you thought it was overpriced. And I think everyone else was on the same page. ( maybe not! but I think so!)

Seller's have the right to ask what ever they want! You as a buyer don't have to purchase. I just have a issue with this conversation at all, because it may upset another member. It's unfortunate that you and that seller didn't make a deal, but lets keep that topic neutral in order to avoid people being upset.

Re: the title situation
It's great that you have investigated and found that a rv title is possible. I guess my question would be, doesn't your state allow a 3 or 4 day transit tag in order for you to get it moved?

So how have others who travelled and bought a trailer dealt with that, just curious?

Dealt with what? The tag issue? Seller's scam's, seller stealing radio's? overpriced? Oh yeah, plenty of people have dealt with this kinda stuff.

Thanks.

Again, I hope you find your perfect trailer!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Don't Dis the Ensolite!

Quote:
It would appeal to me if it was in good shape basically, because it would have no mold issues. Especially old insulation like that. I have chemical sensitivities.
My 1978 Trillium has the original "elephant skin" Ensolite. I think you discount it too quickly. I believe that if it separates and things start living between the insulation and the fiberglass, then it may become unusable. But the stuff in my trailer has no signs of life, and appears to be soundly glued to the fiberglass.

It is soft, warm, scrubbable, and strong. Sort of like soft stucco. There was lots of cleaning necessary when I purchased my trailer. We scrubbed the walls for hours, well,... mostly my eldest son who had conveniently ruined one of the few dates that my wife and I get. I won't go into details.

The point is, that even after 34 years, that stuff is still solid. Also, the glue that would be required to install any other insulation system will off gas for some time.

I would suggest that you take a look at Trillium 4500's, but I may be biased. They are the cure for, “two-footitis”, if you find a 13' trailer a bit too small.

By the way, TRILLIUMS ROCK!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My 1978 Trillium has the original "elephant skin" Ensolite. I think you discount it too quickly. I believe that if it separates and things start living between the insulation and the fiberglass, then it may become unusable. But the stuff in my trailer has no signs of life, and appears to be soundly glued to the fiberglass.

It is soft, warm, scrubbable, and strong. Sort of like soft stucco. There was lots of cleaning necessary when I purchased my trailer. We scrubbed the walls for hours, well,... mostly my eldest son who had conveniently ruined one of the few dates that my wife and I get. I won't go into details.

!

David, I think from what I read, it was that the Owner of the trailer who had already removed the ensolite. But not sure if I read that correctly, but hopefully Jen will see you post and respond. Sad, cause I too believe it's cool stuff.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #25

Georgia
Hi, he removed the ensolite already.

Donna, I was just giving an example of an owner overpricing; nobody bought, they lowered it to an acceptable price in terms of the market. My comments on price were already on the other thread anyway. I'm just saying being overpriced may not be a deal killer because over time an owner may become more realistic.

I also have another question for you all and btw thanks for all the help. When you find one out of state you have to get a temporary tag there right? What is required for that in terms of documents and price? IE a permanent tag in state of residence you bring various docs including proof of residency.

What is a two footer?

Oops while I was writing this the guy called me back after I told him that a police officer has to inspect the trailer before I take it on the road. He said no way is a cop coming anywhere near his house or stuff and the trailer is no longer for sale.

So probably there is something illegal with this trailer.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #26

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Oh my! Even is there is nothing illegal about the trailer specifically the seller may be shady or have a warrant etc. Good call and running from that one.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Robin Quote: <quote> Seller's have the right to ask what ever they want! You as a buyer don't have to purchase. I just have a issue with this conversation at all, because it may upset another member. It's unfortunate that you and that seller didn't make a deal, but lets keep that topic neutral in order to avoid people being upset. <end quote>

Robin you have raised a good point. Sellers have have the right to ask what ever they want and buyers have the right to decline. Thats the way it has been since the beginning of time. IMHO it serves no good purpose to broad cast the negotiations.

IMHO a fiberglass trailer that has had the interior wall covering removed is probable going to have condensation, heat and translucent issues. May not be the most comfortable trailer to camp in.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #28

Georgia
I agree, Carol. This is all old news. Gerry and husband came down to $7500 over a month ago-- the price is on here and other places. Nothing new about it and of course I refrained from telling details when I was speaking with her.i figure it sold by now, who knows. I didn't follow up as being told not to come on the day i had actually packed and was on the road to her was frustrating though I know others have had similar experiences.

Well, sigh. Goodbye trillium. The lack of title and the seller's very rural location and avoidance of police is not something I need. Oh well.

Tags
title, trillium