Post camping routine? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Gillian
Trailer: SCAMP 13'
Oregon
Post camping routine?

Hey all! Just got back from our first camp out in our 13' scamp. Both kids, us parents and the Great Dane ( on the floor) all fit! Phew!

So, it's time to clean her up. What's your post camping routine before putting your little darling in storage? We did the usual: remove all food, sweep, mop, wipe down etc.

But is there anything else special you like to do before putting her in storage for a month or more? We wiped all the condensation off the windows. What about baking soda in the fridge?
I don't know... Is there anything special to do??
PDX scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'd wipe down the fridge inside, and then leave the door cracked open (I put a towel over the door so it can't shut tight.) Empty the water tank and any waste tanks, wipe down and clean the inside and you're done!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you, glad the trip worked out! Now where are the camping pictures?

I tip the cushions up on their edges to get ventilation going through the foam, prop open the refrigerator door to prevent mold and assist in drying that out. And prop open the bathroom door (for the same reason). I'm sure there are other simple things, but those for certain.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
I don't do much else than what you do. BUT I have only an icebox (no frig) which I prefer to use for dry storage only, no bathroom, and I avoid even hooking up the water. I use portable containers as I find that easier.

I do put baking soda in a few places and dryer sheets everywhere ...I hate bad smells. And the dryer sheets are supposed to deter mice.

I like simple :-)...... except for a bunch of colorful, fun trinkets to make it comfy and homey--but those stay in there.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
If you have a water heater, I pull out the anode to drain it, and don't replace it until we are going on our next trip. We live in the desert of Arizona, so no need for mold prevention, but in Washington I know of others that use Dry-Ease or similar product to keep the moisture down inside. We use the dryer sheet trick inside our duffel bag of emergency clothing that we keep in our Jeep at all times. We also use them in suit cases when traveling, and under our bench seats.
Happy Camping
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I do all the things others have said...clean ice box( or fridge,whichever you have)leave door to it cracked open;Clean bathroom real good,leave door open;clean sink & stove real good;drain all tanks & water heater;leave cushions tilted.I have wood in my camper so after I clean it all the last thing I do is wipe everything down with Lemon Oil.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I do much the same as the others - give it a good cleaning & leave the fridge and bathroom door open and empty the water tanks. Left some water with a high sulfur content in a tank for a month or so in warm weather once - not a good thing. If I was using the grey tank a lot I will rinse it out as well.

I also give the outside of the trailer a wash to clear off any bug splatters etc. so they dont get baked on in the sun. If I put the awning away wet I will pull it out and spray it down and let it dry before putting away for storage. Awnings tend to get a fair bit of mildew on them if put away wet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I'd wipe down the fridge inside, and then leave the door cracked open (I put a towel over the door so it can't shut tight.) Empty the water tank and any waste tanks, wipe down and clean the inside and you're done!
Pam-you always have such good advice, and easy peasey common sense solutions...towel in the fridge door is great. Thanks! Jane
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Anyone ever tried zeolite to absorb odors? Mice are a problem here, even mothballs don't deter them much. Usually resort to more drastic measures. I plug all openings with bronze wool and encourage the neighborhood cats to hang around.

I'm pretty absent-minded, so I make up checklists for things I don't do every day. Once I've got them hammered out, I put them in a sheet protector and it goes into the 3-ring binder for the camper/vehicle. Even thought of laminating cards with a "leave camp" and "pre-travel" checklist to hang inside the door, because I'll be the one to leave things unlatched or still hooked up and pull away.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
While camping I prepair a fix it list to fix the things that went wrong and put in the things that I forgot. This I try to do when I get home as soon as I can. Check your propane before you store it. Dont forget when you store it you take a good amount of weight off the axle. Make sure your battery is fully charged. If your not using a battery maintainer charger then it may be wise to disconnect the battery.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote