Preferred Deep Cycle Battery Brands? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Yvon, your English is just fine.
A good converter like the Inteli-power over its life span will pay for itself by keeping a battery properly conditioned and protected. A good converter is equally or more important to the longevity of a battery, then the type of battery itself. Yes, even for the Walmart batteries.

The Delco Voyager and Optima are both good batteries, and perform well. The Optima is rated for about 1/3 more charge cycles, but cost twice as much.

One other reason for going with a better deep cycle battery, is that they can often take more then twice as many charge cycles.

I know I'm going to get more bashing from the Walmart fans, but the OP did ask for opinions after all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I know I'm going to get more bashing from the Walmart fans, but the OP did ask for opinions after all.
No bashing here. Objective opinions based on facts are valued. It's about giving choices. Different strokes for different folks
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	Final_Touches_6.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	19113

I picked up ours at Canadian Tire. I think it was the largest they had. I added a two wire plug at thebattery so that I can connect this small 15w solar pannel which I sit on the rock guard. It's enough to replenish the battery which we use for lighting only.

BTW We used to carry a battery box on the tongue but no battery. We used it as a small toolbox for hammer, pliers wrenches etc.

This is the other picture I meant to place

Click image for larger version

Name:	Final_Touches_7.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	19124
Attached Thumbnails
resized_pictures.JPG  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I buy Interstate 27DC from Sam's. They are $6 more than the Everstart at Walmart, but I believe the Interstate brand to be more reliable.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Are any of the Walmart cheapies sealed AGM or are they all the type that need distilled water added?
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
All of the Wally-batts I have seen so far have been flooded lead-acid batts, not AGM, but it seems to be up to the store managers as to what they stock. FLA's usually have a way to add water, although some are sealed very tightly so as to be called maintenance-free.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #27

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
I have the cambodian tire one too, It's a group 24 Nautilus marine deep cycle. i only used it for half of last season, left the converter plugged in a little too long (apparently), and I forgot about it in the trailer this winter. (i know i know, but we had bigger fish to fry ). I pulled the boler out of hibernation, it still had a charge and the cells are still full. I'm impressed for $90. plus it's got the 3 year warranty, so i think i'll keep right on abusing it...
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #28

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
For maximum amp hours you should look at two 6 volt battries
instead of one 12 volt. Most 6 volt battries made for golf carts
work great and you can really abuse them....
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Actually, the comparison is two 6V to two 12V; The 6V's have more energy because they are actually larger in size. They also may not fit were two 12V would fit because the size difference is in how much taller they are.

Two 12V *golf cart* batteries have the same Amp hours as two 6V golf cart batts, but they aren't sold at discount in the warehouse stores, so they cost a LOT more.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery