Preparing to Paint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2003, 09:33 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Preparing to Paint

I have a 13' '73 boler, and intend on painting the exterior sometime soon. I have purchased Benjamin Moore Marine paint for the job, and have a friend who will spray it for me once I have it all prepared.
The bottom half of the trailer has been previously painted so I intend to sand it all off. The top of the trailer is original, but is oxidized.
Any ideas on what I should do to prepare the surface for new paint? Do I need to remove all the oxidization or just sand it? Do I need to "strip it" with something?
Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:42 AM   #2

You got me - how about it people.....?

:reyes

Old 05-10-2003, 05:44 AM   #3

Boler

:wave Hi, Laura, welcome to the board.

I don't know if you have seen this or not, but Mike Watters has a great thread on the restoration of his '72. '72 Boler-American He had to strip old paint off of his before he started, but other than that, I think he 'scruffed' it up (probably with a heavy grit sand paper) and then primed it.

He'll be here pretty soon and can answer your questions. Meantime, click on the link above. There's some great info there!

Old 05-10-2003, 07:42 AM   #4

paint prep

Suz is correct. Mine had old paint which I stripped first. I was painting mine with Rustoleum which is a bit different - but I was advised by Rustoleum to scuff it first.

Partially to REALLY scuff it, and partially to pull off any remaining loose paint (I razor knifed most of it), I attacked it with 20 grit sandpaper. Kinda looks like gravel glued to paper. Anyway - I followed that with something more like 100 grit to smooth things back down again. I'm sure that if you're starting with a smooth trailer, that 150 - 200 grit would be just fine.

I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask what their recommendations are for painting fiberglass.

mkw

Old 05-11-2003, 04:37 PM   #5

Paint

I paint cars as a hobby...Iam not a professional. If your trailer is in good shape outside, before you sand with anything, I suggest you you wash it down with a good detergent dishwashing, ot simple green, after buy a gallon of silicone and other contaminents remover made by dupont, use ultra clean rags..wipe it down a few times. then sand. Start with 180 grit wet and dry sand paper,using a lot of water, sand until the shine is gone. start again with 320 grit and do it again, do not put your hands on it, after it drys, the oils from your skin will contaminate the fiberglass and could create fisheyes. buy a good primer that is fiberglass friendly, tack rag the surface first, then spray on, allow to dry, and sand again with 320 grit, some primers do not require sanding, but have to be topcoated (painted )within a certain time limit., use a good paint like dupont centari, or ditzler, expect to pay 100 bucks a gallon . choose an hvlp paint gun with a 1.5mm tip, that will save you money Good luck Paul

Tags
paint, painting