Problems with latch on Casita exit window - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-24-2002, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Problems with latch on Casita exit window

:helpme When I pulled my '97 17' SD home from it's previous residence in Georgia, the latches on the emergency exit window kept vibrating open. Even in the short drive from my home to the storage lot it happened again. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what have you done to remedy the situation.
By the way, many thanks for the suggestions on my first trip from St. Louis. I think I've settled on Texas, first the Hill Country, and later the Gulf Coast area. By the way, after checking with Texas State Parks, it was canfirmed that Bentson Rio Grande is pretty much closed. No reservations accepted.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:20 PM   #2

Latch and closures.

Pat,

Someone with more experience than I have will surely have your answer, however, I can give you a couple of places to start. First, I assume you are talking the entire window opening as it would be used for an emergency exit. If that is the case, there is a good possiblity that the gasket is gone. That will keep it from sealing properly which could allow for the jarring loose. If that is okay, make sure that the screws that hold the levers in place are tight.
Next thing is to call Casita at 1-800-442-9986. Talk to Jay or Susan. They will help you decide what is wrong and help you get it fixed. Their parts are priced better than you can get anywhere....and you may not even need a part. Regardless, they don't care if you have a new one or old one (mine's and '89), they are very helpful.

Park closures: I thought that the Corps of Engineers has closed two of their parks because they weren't accepting reservations on the web. What I found out is that the Corps turned them over to the cities they were in. So always double check. If the one you're are refering to is in the Texas Hill Country, then it may have been involved in one of the floods this year. But you probably already know that. I really believe you will Enjoy the Hill Country. It has got some great places to see!

Old 11-24-2002, 07:59 PM   #3

Latches

Pat, the emergency window latches have an adjustment you can do to "increase" the latched distance and "tighten" the latch so it doesn't vibrate loose.

Loosen both screws and you'll notice you can slide the latch back and forth. Slide the latch over to increase the distance of the latching movement ... and retighten the screws.

Hard to describe in words ... but easy if you look at the latching mechanism.

Don't take the screws all the way out ... just loosen them and try to slide it back and forth ... you'll see what I'm talking about.

>>Bentson Rio Grande

Sorry to hear they closed it down. I enjoyed getting down there every so often and watching the bird watchers watching birds.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:29 AM   #4

Latch

Pat,

I had the same problem on my '99 FD 17. I replaced one of the latches, but that helped not at all.

I called Casita and Jay told me to shim the latches out with a flat washer under each screw - no more problems.

Tags
casita