Problems with ordering from SCAMP plus delivery issues - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
"H" I feel your concern. As a recent buyer of a '13 scamp 16' I definatly think that with their volumn of production they should have better customer service, someone in their office who knows the product and will communicate with customers in a timely fashion. Also, their policy of refering every problem to the mfg of the item in question ie; furnace or something, is only a dodge to not having to deal with it themselves. They SHOULD deal with it! They are the mfg of the final product and have much more influence with their suppliers than you or I.
I'm not saying they should require you to bring the trailer to their shop tp be fixed, but make the arrangement with the supplier for the trailer to be fixed at a convienent location. this shouldn't be the the client's responsibilty.
Having built custom homes for 40 years, I know I would be in endless litigation running my business that way. JMHO George
A little perspective....
Just what do you think Scamp's volume of production is? Well... it's capacity is now increased to +-750 trailers per year from 400 in 2005.
GM produces 9,000,000 vehicles per year..........
Since 1971 Scamp has produced fewer than 18000 trailers...total. That's about four hours average production for GM... IN SCAMP'S ENTIRE FORTY-TWO YEARS OF PRODUCTION!
How do you suppose these two companies compare in terms of customer satisfaction? How do you suppose the average lifespan of the two products compare?
Taking your Scamp to your choice of local RV shop for warranty work is less onerous than than taking any other brand to it's dealer, in fact Scamp will commonly supply parts if you choose to make your own repairs, usually on your word, without verification.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
They are the mfg of the final product and have much more influence with their suppliers than you or I.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure I have essentially zero influence with any supplier. At the Scamp production volume, my guess is that they probably don't have much more influence - Eveland's is a small specialty company in a business of large volume.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
"H" I feel your concern. As a recent buyer of a '13 scamp 16' I definatly think that with their volumn of production they should have better customer service, someone in their office who knows the product and will communicate with customers in a timely fashion. Also, their policy of refering every problem to the mfg of the item in question ie; furnace or something, is only a dodge to not having to deal with it themselves. They SHOULD deal with it! They are the mfg of the final product and have much more influence with their suppliers than you or I.
I'm not saying they should require you to bring the trailer to their shop tp be fixed, but make the arrangement with the supplier for the trailer to be fixed at a convienent location. this shouldn't be the the client's responsibilty.
Having built custom homes for 40 years, I know I would be in endless litigation running my business that way. JMHO George
The whole RV industry works the same way and has done so for years....if you have a problem with your RV furnace, you don't call the RV manufacturer, you call the furnace manufacturer who (if they can't diagnose a simple fix over the phone) directs you to one if their service facilities locally. Sometimes the RV manufacturer will help you diagnose a problem, but it is not their area of expertise or ultimate responsibility (the warranty is between the component manufacturer and the purchaser), so why not go right to the source and keep the communications direct and without interpretation errors.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Once I accepted -and it took a while for me to accept - that communicating with Scamp required using the phone and the US Postal service, all went smoothly. We ultimately found a used one and cancelled our order for a new one, but even on issues with our used one Scamp was helpful (when we called; no faxes, no emails). We moved on to a (bigger) Bigfoot but I wouldn't hesitate to have a Scamp again.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #25

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
I've been reading a few fiberglass egg rv blogs lately while researching owner's newer various brands I'm considering and a few have had an issue here or there regarding shakedown that need slight adjustments after leaving the rv factory on their first few adventures to more of an engineering issue with for example a certain brand or model of refrigerator commonly used by all fiberglass egg manufactures. Either way the egg owner would either quickly fix it themselves with parts supplied under warranty or just take it to an RV service center they felt comfortable with and it was taken care of.

It's kind of like cars. Regardless of brand or their reputation for engineering or quality they have all had certain issues that have surfaced over time. Each brand has their strengths and weaknesses.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Heat and 4 cylinder towing

Hman,

For trailer heat we have a small ceramic heater. We hardly ever have it running at night, only if I wake up and think it's cold in the trailer. Most nights we have an electric blanket on the bed that keeps us warm.

Simply making a cup of tea is almost enought to warm the place up in the morning. If we dont have electricity we through an extra blanket on the bed.

Saying that we don't do winter camping in northern climates. If we're really north and it's cold we choose campgrounds with electricity. In 13 years of camping we've rarely turned on the propane heater, we find it too loud.

As to 4 cylinder towing, we've been towing for about 6 years with our 2004 Honda CRV, 2.4 L manual transmission and now have 195,000 miles on the engine and about 250,000 miles including miles towed behind the motorhome.

We have been everywhere with the Honda, all over Canada and the USA and will be doing our 4th towing loop of the USA this year. We get very good mileage towing between 21 and 23 mpg.

The CRV has worked great. We typically drive in 4th gear, our RPMs are in the 3000 range and we do have to downshift to 3rd on western mountain passes. In 9 years of ownership the CRV has been very reliable; we recently had to replace a fan and a thermostat, our only non-wear repairs, less than $200.

Unfortunately they no longer offer a manual transmission in North America, as a result it appears our next tow vehicle will be a Honda CRv with an automatic transmission.

I must also tell you that the CRV is rated for only 1500 lbs in the USA. 1500 lbs is it's rating in Europe for towing a trailer without brakes; about 3000 lbs for towing a trailer with brakes in Europe.

As well we typically drive non-interstates at 55mph except in the east where there often is no choice. On interstates we typically drive between 60 and 65 mph and stay to the right.

Towing with a Honda requires keeping the tongue weight light, we keep ours at about 200 lbs, a little less if the propane is low.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The more I read about the different units, the more convinced I am that used is the way to go. Just like with tow vehicles, the bugs are already worked out and you can use any service facility when you are paying the bill or do your own repairs and maintenance without any penalty or voiding a warranty. We had to take our pop-up to have the door replaced and the cost of the gas to get it there and back was way too much. If not under warranty, we would probably have taken the door apart and did our own repairs, quicker and cheaper! Customer service is not the only issue for me nor the most crucial since I believe that quality control says it all and let's face it, running it in to be finished or fixed after purchasing a new one with the multitude of problems I have seen with most of the units, not good. I also notice that it isn't unusual to be able to get very lightly used unit at a great savings.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cathy,

I agree that there can be advantages to a non-abused used trailer. Few trailers have many miles on them and often you get the advantage of practical upgrades.

If we ever sell the new owner would get solar panels, a 1200 watt inverter, all kinds of internal and external storage, AC, LED lighting,....

The magic of fiberglass trailers is there long lfe ability of their shells and the love of their owners.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #29

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We purchased our Scamp from a one owner. I've only ordered replacement parts to update or repair. Always had great service and quick shipping. Sorry your having problems.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm.....

It's 2013, not 1972, today you can almost fax a fingerprint.

But WOW, getting a 2014 vs a 2013, I'll bet that they introduce more changes at this model years changeover than they have in the past 10 years (current count = none) But you can bet that it's built with the same frame, tires, axles, appliances and interior parts that they used on 2013 production versions......
I won't try to put a number to it, but there have been several changes over the last 10 years. Without being comprehensive,here are a few of them...

Mold change on the 5er to eliminate the front window.

Additional interior height in the 13.

The addition of the shower option in the 13 standard.

The recent new interior option on the 13 standard, adding the 54" bed to the front bath option.

Different window offerings.

Change to 14" wheels on the 5er.

What I perceive to be your point is ,however, well taken. Even if you get a newer model year title, you will still receive the same great quality and reliability in the components offered in the 2013 Scamp.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #31

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Good comments by all and very helpful. New vs used....we have been looking for months and finding something anywhere near us in the South, with some of the options we want, is impossible. I buy all my cars in the 2-3 year old range and we are pretty conservative with our purchases but this time we want something that is 'ours'. With that said...we got our price sheet and video in the mail yesterday and it was so helpful to actually see the Scamp in high def and in detail. Guess what? We BOTH actually liked the look of the fiberglass walls combined with the wood. Combine this with less tow weight and a considerable cost savings...it was a no brainier. I am calling Allen in the morning and changing our order from a 13 deluxe w/ toilet&shower to the same model non deluxe...with all the same options.
Norm...I didn't think about using an electric blanket. Good one there. With our new cost savings, I was thinking about getting the AC " heat strip" for heat. It is just $80 but I haven't heard much about its function and reliability...anyone? We were planning on the small ceramic heater but if this does a good job I won't need to carry one.
We have a Camping World about 40 min from our house so I do have a place to go if I need to get some things fixed after our initial shake down voyage.
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #32

Alabama
One more thing. We live in a community where you can't park campers, boats in your driveway so I will be storing it. Living in a tourist area, there are many places available within 10 min from us with good security. I was thinking about paying less money and leaving it in an uncovered space, usually on a stone bed, and getting my own custom cover off of eBay. I read, I think by Donna D, that excessive wind can rub off the gel coat. Now I'm not sure if I need to pay more monthly rent and put it in a covered rv space ( carport style). Any thoughts??
Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #33

Alabama
Floyd...you made my dat...and Momma's too!! We thought you only got the 54 inch bed in the deluxe model. I didn't realize we can get the 54 in the standard...whoo whoo. Funny visual...last night Stephanie got a tape measure out and measured what we thought was out new bed width of 48 inches, and put it on the living room rug. We both got down and spooned to see how tight it is. The dog looked at us like why aren't we all in the big bed. ( chihauahua mut). We can use the extra 6 inches and it makes it easier to get a memory foam mattress top as well.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
One more thing. We live in a community where you can't park campers, boats in your driveway so I will be storing it. Living in a tourist area, there are many places available within 10 min from us with good security. I was thinking about paying less money and leaving it in an uncovered space, usually on a stone bed, and getting my own custom cover off of eBay. I read, I think by Donna D, that excessive wind can rub off the gel coat. Now I'm not sure if I need to pay more monthly rent and put it in a covered rv space ( carport style). Any thoughts??
The other big issue with storing your RV with a cover (at least here in the wet northwest) is the potential for mold and other damage from the trapped moisture and humidity. Remember to leave a way for moisture to escape and things to dry naturally. I think that Donna D and others too have discussed proper storage in their posts.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Floyd...you made my dat...and Momma's too!! We thought you only got the 54 inch bed in the deluxe model. I didn't realize we can get the 54 in the standard...whoo whoo. Funny visual...last night Stephanie got a tape measure out and measured what we thought was out new bed width of 48 inches, and put it on the living room rug. We both got down and spooned to see how tight it is. The dog looked at us like why aren't we all in the big bed. ( chihauahua mut). We can use the extra 6 inches and it makes it easier to get a memory foam mattress top as well.
The standard bed is still 44" not 48", so your joy is further enhanced!
The deluxe would have had a 54" anyway.
BTW...The doors on the standard are MDF, not wood, they are much heavier and have a plastic veneer on the surface. If weight and material are concerns you could easily change them to a high grade oak plywood, and still use the Scamp supplied hardware.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #36

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Our 2002 Scamp 5er has the AC with heat strip. The heat strip will run you out. Ours works great. As far a cover for the unit. I have had two popups, one tagalong(standard), two (standard) fifth wheels, a Class C, a FG Scamp 16 and finally our FG Scamp 5er. The only problems with keeping a unit under a cloth type cover is the pain of taking it off and on and it will still let the unit mold depending where your located. The good points and bad about keeping one under a shed type roof cover is this. One it's better than leaving it out completely exposed; the bad is all the bugs and insects will more likely take up a home under a shed type cover and find themselves a home in your unit. When we purchased our unit it had set for a year under a metal roof top cover. The mud daubters and bugs had taken up residence in the window tracks by way of the window drain holes. Thought I had cleared them out until the first rainy camping trip. Long story short I ordered new window seals. Removed seals and cleaned all window tracts completely and resealed with new rubber seals. We built a enclosed metal building in 2001 for our Class C Motor Home. If you can afford it that's the best for any unit. If not just keep a good check on the windows for bugs. Good luck
Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hearing about your problems communicating with Scamp (Evelands) makes me sad.

Scamp is a great trailer with good price points.

But, anyone that uses "they're old school," makes me mad. I'M old skool. I love the older look of stuff, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to communicate TODAY. I've moved beyond the "golden years," and am now in the "brass years."

Backus, Minnesota is still an economically depressed area. They still suffer high unemployment. Eveland's needs to hire a Millenial at minimum wage to do NOTHING but answer emails. That person doesn't need to be 100% knowledgable about the product, but just to say "Thanks for contacting us, we value your business." And then offer to drop items in the postal mail or send stuff by email. THIS IS NOT HARD TO DO.

Technology is NEVER going to move backwards, unless an electro-magnetic storm hits. Snail-mail (with six day a week delivery) MAY be reduced. Nearly anyone that wants to buy a trailer has email.

In the meantime, Parkliner, Lil Snoozy, Escape, Casita and Oliver are all moving forward. If Eveland's doesn't step up, they are going to see orders drop. While I don't see them going out of business, every trailer they don't build because another manufacturer picks it up because customers felt ignored... means fewer people will work at Scamp.

And all because they choose to stay "old school." (which is different than Old Skool.)

With the small marketplace ... all I can think is "wow, really? In today's economy"?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #38

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Minnesota is like a second home for me. Heck I think Minnesotans think we are still "Dakota Territory" lol! I really like Scamp and what they have to offer. It seems like the more egg brands I see the more I like all of them! They are all unique in what they offer and it's especially fun to see how their owners have personalized them and be inspired after reading their egg adventures.

I sold new and used vehicles for a number of years besides being an Internet Sales Manager when Internet sales were just developing at dealerships. Service and communication were so vital besides trying to differentiate yourself against the competition. Otherwise why purchase from me? I keep thinking of "Kaizen" A Japanese philosophy of continuous improvement.

It was a little surprising when I contacted Scamp a year ago to inquire about a 16 foot deluxe with side dinette. I just felt the salesperson who although nice was more interested in closing the sale over the phone and adding a sense of urgency then provide me the info to help me make a decision. The brief process reminded me of what it was like trying to buy a car years ago and how I despised that ordeal. It just felt like an old school way of sales.

The other thing that is a little annoying is that I'm more of a humanities(people) type of person and not technically oriented so I'd have to travel and then pay someone to modify my Scamp they way I'd like it. I appreciate the changes Scamp has made over the years to improve their product as posted before in this thread but how about slight improvements that customers have routinely inquired about yet would not cost too much in additional production costs. Granted they have a great, reliable, durable, economical and proven product at a good price point but there are other egg competitors and stagnation can be very costly.

Donna good point regarding an online CSR! Even though I was an Internet Manager then I am just a basic user of computers and the Internet and am not tech savvy by todays standards but I still value basic and prompt online communication that could actually act in support of their sales staff who may not be up to speed or feel comfortable with online communication. Newsletters can be sent out, follow up communication or whatever in answering questions.

I remember living in Minneapolis when their old factory burned down and felt bad for them knowing someday I'd hope to maybe have a Scamp and that they were a small operation in a rural area. I want them to succeed!

Well anyways! I should stop. lol! I'll just be so excited when I can have my cute lil egg and be out there exploring!
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #39

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Scamp is definitely easier to deal with in person.. we are fortunate to live only 5 hours from the factory so it was easy to do the deal in person.
When we did have problems they were taken care of without hassle or question.
This past winter we had a convertor problem and Kent helped us solve it over the phone.
Having said all that.. we bought a new Casita this year and dealing with them over email, telephone and in person was much better
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #40

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hearing about your problems communicating with Scamp (Evelands) makes me sad.

Eveland's needs to hire a Millenial at minimum wage to do NOTHING but answer emails. That person doesn't need to be 100% knowledgable about the product, but just to say "Thanks for contacting us, we value your business." And then offer to drop items in the postal mail or send stuff by email. THIS IS NOT HARD TO DO.
No, not difficult, but it still very expensive overhead even at minimum wage, hiring people is not done readily anymore, and every employee is expected to multitask nowadays. Did insurance cover all of the losses from the 2006 fire? Computer hardware, software, and I.T. expertise aren't cheap to someone who has done well without them for so long and needs to start from scratch in that area.

At Scamp's price point I wonder just how thin their profit margin is? Aren't they building the least expensive trailer overall in today's fiberglass niche market? In their position they may not be competing with just fiberglass but wood-framed aluminum, and all-aluminum trailer manufacturers as well. Many of those customers feel molded fiberglass is horrendously expensive.

Tags
scamp