Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If nothing else, the wheels are round.
And no longer chiseled from stone.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #16

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
H - Sorry to hear about your issues with Scamp, kind of makes our decision to go with an Escape more firm. I would check with Escape though as they will sometimes make a special order 13'. There was a comment about trees looking beautiful at end Oct. I'm afraid that the trees will be bare in MN by then and you might even see snow in the first week of Nov. (I've read your opinions on that lovely white stuff - syracuse right?) so it's good that you cannot go pick it up.

Adrian

Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #17

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
I also contacted Scamp for info about 6 weeks ago. They mailed me the info and said it would be the end of Oct. before I could get one. I don't know if I will get rid of the one I have, or just keep it. I don't know if I would buy a larger Scamp, or go with something else. Right now with all these posts, It's not looking good for Scamp.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #18

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Adrian...you cracked me up. Ok, update, today we received the DVD in the mail and much to my surprise and wonderment, my wife liked the non deluxe (wood) interior and felt just the fiberglass and wood looked fine. This is obviously much less expensive...less weight, a concern with our Jeep wrangler and...maybe we can get it sooner!! Now, we will see Monday if I can communicate our change in our order once we actually got to see one, at least via a DVD. Its only been 3 days thus far so...I'm hopeful. I was thinking about adding the heat strip on the AC for $80. Any thoughts on this one vs carrying a small ceramic heater. Being the...non Syracuse type...it can get chilly at night in the winter down here.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #19

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
This is a request for help in making my purchase from SCAMP go much smoother than it has started. First.....I purchased a 13 ft Scamp Deluxe last Wed. I have requested an emailed copy of my purchase every day since to no avail. They say their email will not go through to either my or my wife's computer. Micah had no problem sending their brochure to my wife prior to purchase, so I know they have the capability.

Second...I have received a couple of responses from customers who have recently purchased new Scamps. It was disturbing to hear all the production issues like...broken latches, doors that stick, knobs that fall off, thermostats that don't work, fridge installs crooked, curtains installed crooked...ill stop here. This is very disturbing to hear considering the cost involved and buying blind. We live on opposite ends of the country (gulf coast) and will be paying almost $1,800 to have it delivered.

Third...prior to ordering, I received a price list detailing the cost of each option. Upon order, all these options were higher than quoted.

Communication with a scamp is very difficult. There should be a point person or customer service department to handle production problems and facilitate proper communication. My trailer's completion date is Oct. 29th....or, about double the build out time they publish. This is an exciting venture for my wife and myself and we want to be assured that, being so far from the company, we don't pay all this money for a shoddy product with little recourse for fixing potential warrantied components.

I'm not trying to bash Scamp....I would like to hear how your experiences have been...great or not so great...so I can be better prepared for the process of delivery and getting the product I am paying for without having to deal with getting a half a dozen Items fixed before we can use our new trailer. We are not experienced campers thus the concern. Thank you for your advice, comments and words of wisdom.
"H" I feel your concern. As a recent buyer of a '13 scamp 16' I definatly think that with their volumn of production they should have better customer service, someone in their office who knows the product and will communicate with customers in a timely fashion. Also, their policy of refering every problem to the mfg of the item in question ie; furnace or something, is only a dodge to not having to deal with it themselves. They SHOULD deal with it! They are the mfg of the final product and have much more influence with their suppliers than you or I.
I'm not saying they should require you to bring the trailer to their shop tp be fixed, but make the arrangement with the supplier for the trailer to be fixed at a convienent location. this shouldn't be the the client's responsibilty.
Having built custom homes for 40 years, I know I would be in endless litigation running my business that way. JMHO George
Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #20

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
You are right George. My wife is an attorney so we will be paying close attention to detail making sure we get what we pay for...in proper working order!!
I see where you are pulling a 16ft with a 4cyl??? I have a 6cyl jeep and have been concerned about weight.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
"H" I feel your concern. As a recent buyer of a '13 scamp 16' I definatly think that with their volumn of production they should have better customer service, someone in their office who knows the product and will communicate with customers in a timely fashion. Also, their policy of refering every problem to the mfg of the item in question ie; furnace or something, is only a dodge to not having to deal with it themselves. They SHOULD deal with it! They are the mfg of the final product and have much more influence with their suppliers than you or I.
I'm not saying they should require you to bring the trailer to their shop tp be fixed, but make the arrangement with the supplier for the trailer to be fixed at a convienent location. this shouldn't be the the client's responsibilty.
Having built custom homes for 40 years, I know I would be in endless litigation running my business that way. JMHO George
A little perspective....
Just what do you think Scamp's volume of production is? Well... it's capacity is now increased to +-750 trailers per year from 400 in 2005.
GM produces 9,000,000 vehicles per year..........
Since 1971 Scamp has produced fewer than 18000 trailers...total. That's about four hours average production for GM... IN SCAMP'S ENTIRE FORTY-TWO YEARS OF PRODUCTION!
How do you suppose these two companies compare in terms of customer satisfaction? How do you suppose the average lifespan of the two products compare?
Taking your Scamp to your choice of local RV shop for warranty work is less onerous than than taking any other brand to it's dealer, in fact Scamp will commonly supply parts if you choose to make your own repairs, usually on your word, without verification.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
They are the mfg of the final product and have much more influence with their suppliers than you or I.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure I have essentially zero influence with any supplier. At the Scamp production volume, my guess is that they probably don't have much more influence - Eveland's is a small specialty company in a business of large volume.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
The whole RV industry works the same way and has done so for years....if you have a problem with your RV furnace, you don't call the RV manufacturer, you call the furnace manufacturer who (if they can't diagnose a simple fix over the phone) directs you to one if their service facilities locally. Sometimes the RV manufacturer will help you diagnose a problem, but it is not their area of expertise or ultimate responsibility (the warranty is between the component manufacturer and the purchaser), so why not go right to the source and keep the communications direct and without interpretation errors.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #24

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
Once I accepted -and it took a while for me to accept - that communicating with Scamp required using the phone and the US Postal service, all went smoothly. We ultimately found a used one and cancelled our order for a new one, but even on issues with our used one Scamp was helpful (when we called; no faxes, no emails). We moved on to a (bigger) Bigfoot but I wouldn't hesitate to have a Scamp again.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #25

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
I've been reading a few fiberglass egg rv blogs lately while researching owner's newer various brands I'm considering and a few have had an issue here or there regarding shakedown that need slight adjustments after leaving the rv factory on their first few adventures to more of an engineering issue with for example a certain brand or model of refrigerator commonly used by all fiberglass egg manufactures. Either way the egg owner would either quickly fix it themselves with parts supplied under warranty or just take it to an RV service center they felt comfortable with and it was taken care of.

It's kind of like cars. Regardless of brand or their reputation for engineering or quality they have all had certain issues that have surfaced over time. Each brand has their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Heat and 4 cylinder towing

Hman,

For trailer heat we have a small ceramic heater. We hardly ever have it running at night, only if I wake up and think it's cold in the trailer. Most nights we have an electric blanket on the bed that keeps us warm.

Simply making a cup of tea is almost enought to warm the place up in the morning. If we dont have electricity we through an extra blanket on the bed.

Saying that we don't do winter camping in northern climates. If we're really north and it's cold we choose campgrounds with electricity. In 13 years of camping we've rarely turned on the propane heater, we find it too loud.

As to 4 cylinder towing, we've been towing for about 6 years with our 2004 Honda CRV, 2.4 L manual transmission and now have 195,000 miles on the engine and about 250,000 miles including miles towed behind the motorhome.

We have been everywhere with the Honda, all over Canada and the USA and will be doing our 4th towing loop of the USA this year. We get very good mileage towing between 21 and 23 mpg.

The CRV has worked great. We typically drive in 4th gear, our RPMs are in the 3000 range and we do have to downshift to 3rd on western mountain passes. In 9 years of ownership the CRV has been very reliable; we recently had to replace a fan and a thermostat, our only non-wear repairs, less than $200.

Unfortunately they no longer offer a manual transmission in North America, as a result it appears our next tow vehicle will be a Honda CRv with an automatic transmission.

I must also tell you that the CRV is rated for only 1500 lbs in the USA. 1500 lbs is it's rating in Europe for towing a trailer without brakes; about 3000 lbs for towing a trailer with brakes in Europe.

As well we typically drive non-interstates at 55mph except in the east where there often is no choice. On interstates we typically drive between 60 and 65 mph and stay to the right.

Towing with a Honda requires keeping the tongue weight light, we keep ours at about 200 lbs, a little less if the propane is low.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #27

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
The more I read about the different units, the more convinced I am that used is the way to go. Just like with tow vehicles, the bugs are already worked out and you can use any service facility when you are paying the bill or do your own repairs and maintenance without any penalty or voiding a warranty. We had to take our pop-up to have the door replaced and the cost of the gas to get it there and back was way too much. If not under warranty, we would probably have taken the door apart and did our own repairs, quicker and cheaper! Customer service is not the only issue for me nor the most crucial since I believe that quality control says it all and let's face it, running it in to be finished or fixed after purchasing a new one with the multitude of problems I have seen with most of the units, not good. I also notice that it isn't unusual to be able to get very lightly used unit at a great savings.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cathy,

I agree that there can be advantages to a non-abused used trailer. Few trailers have many miles on them and often you get the advantage of practical upgrades.

If we ever sell the new owner would get solar panels, a 1200 watt inverter, all kinds of internal and external storage, AC, LED lighting,....

The magic of fiberglass trailers is there long lfe ability of their shells and the love of their owners.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp