Problems with ordering from SCAMP plus delivery issues - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #41

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Donna and Dakota, I agree with everything you've said. But, if as Mr. Simon says, the cost of adding one employee is too expensive, even tho it may contribute to sales and satisfied customers in the long run, perhaps implementing a policy that ALL communication from customers be answered in a timely manner. If it means learning email... so be it!

Floyd, in response to your response to my post: I can't, or even would attempt to compare Scamp to GM, however many of GM's customer service techniques can be successfully applied to any small business with very little or no cost. Customer service is VITAL to the on going success of any company in this very competitive business environment. BTW, I LOVE my Scamp and like the people I've dealt with there. I wish them nothing but the best. I truly hope you didn't find my post offensive.

George
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #42

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have used the heat strip in our Coleman AC for 7 years now and it has provided plenty of heat in almost all of our camping situations. We also carry a ceramic heater for those really cold (under 25 degree) nights in South Dakota in the early spring.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #43

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
NOTE to SCAMP: Contact you local colleges and look into having an Intern from a computer related program work in your facility to bring your communications up to at least Y-2000 standards. It's a win-win for both of you, the intern will have a plus for their resume and SCAMP will have more happy customers.

I did a graduate internship with Hewlett-Packard in the early days of using Computers in Education and we both learned a lot about the field. What I was paid: $nada, what I learned: priceless.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #44

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Here's a thought... How about a workcamper at Parkliner and Scamp. It might be fun to spend a month at either place and make a little course change for each company in their communications.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
After 23 E-Mails and 3 phone calls trying to get a price on a new Scamp (with desired options) , I gave up!!
Yes , I talked to Micah and Kent and still nothing . I have called their parts dept and had to leave a message on several occasions and NEVER received a return call. We really liked our Scamp and would have bought another but their lack of business acumen caused us to look elsewhere
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
Donna and Dakota, I agree with everything you've said. But, if as Mr. Simon says, the cost of adding one employee is too expensive, even tho it may contribute to sales and satisfied customers in the long run, perhaps implementing a policy that ALL communication from customers be answered in a timely manner. If it means learning email... so be it!

Floyd, in response to your response to my post: I can't, or even would attempt to compare Scamp to GM, however many of GM's customer service techniques can be successfully applied to any small business with very little or no cost. Customer service is VITAL to the on going success of any company in this very competitive business environment. BTW, I LOVE my Scamp and like the people I've dealt with there. I wish them nothing but the best. I truly hope you didn't find my post offensive.

George
I get your point, but I was only trying to give a perspective.
I think that Scamp has the best customer service I have ever experienced. When I ordered mine,I must have changed details on the trailer a dozen times. Each change was handled with a single phone call in a curteous and patient,even enthusiastic manner.
They made special arrangements for me on the day I took delivery to accommodate my schedule outside of normal delivery times.

I have contacted them many times over the last ten years, on everything from sales, to service, to parts, to unannounced visits to the factory.
In every case I have been treated like a valued customer or even a family friend.
In every case my inquiries or concerns were handled to my complete satisfaction and promptly.

I prefer their reluctance to deal with impersonal means of customer relations like E-Mail and computer based communications.
It is my hope that as these changes do advance,that they will not become a barrier to direct and personal communications at Scamp, like has happened to almost every other business.

I remember when "Ford wanted to be my car company". I had, at that time, direct access to such things as SVO, and corporate excecutive officers. One even invited us to a personally guided tour of the factory on the day our car was being built.
Alas... today we have replaced the telephone with twitter, facebook, E-mail, etc., eschewing real and effective human contact.
Now, if I want to talk to someone at Ford, I get some polite person in India who can only spout useless platitudes.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I've never had a problem other than they don't like to do business over the internet. They much prefer phone and snail mail. I had a couple issues when I bought my Scamp and when I called, (NOTE: CALLED) I was referred to Kent Eveland, the owner. Everything was completed in a timely manner to my satisfaction. I would suggest if there's any issues call Kent directly.
Well not sure what the situation with Scamp is currently Byron but I can tell you I had to order a new door from them last week so I tried CALLING their parts person directly. Called them at least 7 times a day for 3 days and kept being transferred to the parts department where there was no answer. I left several voice mail messages and finally on the 3rd day someone called me back. Sadly it was to late to have the item shipped to where I needed it to be delivered in time. I did talk to Mr. Eveland as he answered the phone on one of the days I called and he said I should use their internet ordering system (was told the same by the receptionist several times as well) told them I couldn't use the internet as it was a custom sized (old size) door I needed that wasnt on their system and was transferred once again off to voice mail.....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Here's a thought... How about a workcamper at Parkliner and Scamp. It might be fun to spend a month at either place and make a little course change for each company in their communications.
How about Scamp simple hire and support a few more local University students to help out during their peak times as other companies have to do.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #49

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
How about Scamp simple hire and support a few more local University students to help out during their peak times as other companies have to do.
Wouldn't that involve about a hundred mile each way commute? Besides, the average ten year old might do just as well!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Wouldn't that involve about a hundred mile each way commute?
Most University students I know are not fussy about their accommodations in order to make the money needed for next years fees. Just ask any that have worked as tree planters for a summer about how they lived Seems to me Scamp has the ability to build a little summer camp right at the plant for them to stay in if there are really no local kids in need of summer jobs .... after all they do build travel trailers dont they?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #51

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Floyd, great talking to you Saturday. You were VERY helpful! I changed my order with Allen today to the 2014, 13 foot standard with shower/commode and most every available option, minus the furnace (got the heat strip). Allen was very nice and accommodating and I got him on the first call. From what I have read on multiple sites, it is obvious Scamp needs some upgrading to accommodate the volume and customer service need(s). They have lost sales and angered many customers and potential buyers because they are behind the times in timely and effective communication and documentation of transactions. Perhaps they will see that people love their product, but it's time to review the way they are currently doing business...both from a customer service perspective as well as on their production side. Things like having a new trailer delivered to Oregon behind a TV, when they charge what they charge ($1,755 for me)...and then it being damaged by the driver who delivered it anyway vs turning around for a new one, is not right. They should come on a flat bed (as advertised) with everything in working order (minor occasional hiccups will happen, I realize this). I have had emails and PM's from new owners outlying several items that were broken or now working after delivery. More than you might think. I have lead customer service departments for several large companies and one the same size (family owned in rural PA), and each of them put customer service first. Combined with a good product, this is how one keeps their customers happy and grows their business in an effective manner. Someone mentioned 'thin' profit margins....no way! They are doing well and can afford to upgrade.
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #52

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
NOTE to SCAMP: Contact you local colleges and look into having an Intern from a computer related program work in your facility to bring your communications up to at least Y-2000 standards. ...
Don't really need computer related field. Need someone from business, marketing, or engineering programs. The issue is not ability to email or send documents. The issue is ability to provide customer response, and have that response be of use to meeting the customer need. About all a rookie student/trainee could intitially provide would be to manage the communications. Turn email requests and phone messages into a "task" list and see that answers or feedback were provided.

My experience was email to parts department never answered, same with phone messages left at that extension. Was told that the person I needed was on vacation, be back next week.

When I called back post vacation date and left message still no response, so I let the operator know the trouble I was having. They found me someone that knew the answers, and what they did not know they looked up on the computer. Pretty long phone call to make sure I could put together my parts order for a 35 year old camper. Not a lot of profit in that call. Was a lot of customer service.

I figure the first problem is a side effect of a small staff, parts person has many duties, while my email/phone message might have been one of them it was probably not the most pressing when compared to the duties required for day to day manufacturing operations.

Having worked in manufacturing, and the IT field it is doubtful the return on investment to computerize sales orders would be very good. Too low a volumn of sales to make "efficiencies" of computer system profitable. Computers, networking between systems, software and IT support costs to keep it all running would cost more than would be returned to the profit side of the business. Typical base cost for Systems Support is between $50 - $100 per hour.

Need what is sometimes called lowest common denominator solution. Someone that can scan an order and convert to pdf for email, or make list of requests, get answers or items requested and send responses. Problem is everyone there is probably already pretty busy. If your busy dealing with urgent items it does not leave much time for innovation or lower priority tasks.

Simple fact: Scamp is essentially a manufacturing operation, not a sales operation with show rooms and dealer network of sales professionals. Manufacturing does not use the same skill set as sales and customer support. Both are important but not typically found in the same person.

Even if markup on an individual trailer is high, they just don't sell enough to have a large cash flow to work with. Or a large surplus to invest in innovation.

If I had to guess I would guess that the "basic" camper models Scamp sells have much less profit than the more high end custom campers sold by Escape. Not that one is good and the other bad, just different markets at different price points. Chevy and Oldsmobile are both GM cars but the Olds has a better profit margin provided people are willing to pay for the "extra" features or options. If not they purchase a comparable more basic Chevy.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #53

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Better make that "Olds WAS a GM car with a better profit margin". Sorta disproves the example doesn't it???? (LOL)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #54

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
This forum probably has a large or maybe the largest number of Scamp owners as members around. I believe it was Norm who once posted that Scamp does not read or check this forum for feedback whether good or bad . This forum is a great source for market research and them taking the time to check on how they are doing through this forum would benefit us as well as Scamp. I know shortly after I bought and picked up my Casita I received a phone call asking "How I liked the trailer and if there were any problems" plus I received a mail in survey on how the purchasing and ordering process was handled plus a Thank You card for purchasing a Casita . I am not trying to bash Scamp , I just believe that good customer service is an important & necessary part of every large purchase before and after the sale
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #55

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve,

It appears that they don't read FRV. If they did you'd own another Scamp and they would have intervened on this thread. By deduction I would say they don't read the thread.

I have sent a link to this thread to Scamp. I think it's important for them and indirectly for all of us.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #56

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Better make that "Olds WAS a GM car with a better profit margin". Sorta disproves the example doesn't it???? (LOL)
I think the dropping of Old division was more about reducing costs of having duplicate divisions producing almost identical cars with slightly different marketing plans.

Olds or Buick were pretty close to same product, Pontiac was too. The shell, floor, frame and many standard fixtures are pretty much the same in most campers. And cost the same. The money is in bigger models, deluxe features and ammenities.

It may have been Parkliner not Escape I was thinking of as being more high end. But basic scamp 13 with bath is around $11k maybe $12-15k with bath for a 16 ft. Escape start out at $18k for a 15 ft. Parkliner at around $16k. It's not like it cost a lot more for the FG or frame :-)

If Parkliner can get $290 for the LED light option I'm betting half of that or more is profit.

I also see a shift from family camping to retired couples, they tend to want more ammenities, and different floor plans. Wonder if scamp sells more front bath, side dinette models.... and fewer front bunk models than they used to.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
It may have been Parkliner not Escape I was thinking of as being more high end. But basic scamp 13 with bath is around $11k maybe $12-15k with bath for a 16 ft. Escape start out at $18k for a 15 ft. Parkliner at around $16k. It's not like it cost a lot more for the FG or frame :-)
Having seen both its the Escape thats the more high end.

The bottom line is Scamp has a great little product for the price range. I have noticed over the last couple of years more and more people complaining about poor customer service whether they are attempting to order a trailer or order parts. More than few people have come right out and said they have decided to go with another trailer manufacture due to lack of/slow response customer service from Scamp... not something most small companies can afford to do for long.

A classic situation regarding slow to change practices is the foam gaskets they use around their doors. Pretty well everyone here with a Scamp has an issue with the foam sliding (the current one has only been on mine a month and its already slipped out of shape). Floyd? suggested that Scamp has a secret D closed cell foam one can get from Scamp if you ask (but if you dont they dont tell you about it) but when I asked I was told it has the same problem as the original foam gasket the adhesive fails ...... hummmm seems to me they really need to start using a different door gasket system similar to ones used by other manufactures that dont involve adhesive.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #58

Alabama
Rodget Dat...my 13 ft standard w/shower and commode, plus options and delivery is approaching 16k...fyi.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #59

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Rodget Dat...my 13 ft standard w/shower and commode, plus options and delivery is approaching 16k...fyi.
Not saying you can't spend more, just that you can purchase a basic sound functional camper from Scamp at a lower price point than some other FGRV manufactures. I was comparing "base" prices. And noting that the options that people value add to the profit margin.

If Scamp can build the basic 13ft and sell it at $11k for a profit, your $16k model (less delivery) did not cost them significantly more to manufacture. Ergo yours is more profitable than someone like myself that would order it stripped. (my car has hand crank windows, I'm not really into options)

As time goes on people seem to want more amenities, some manufactures are providing more of these in the basic unit at a higher "base" price. Scamp seems to still be working off of a very basic unit that one chooses to add options to. That means Scamps average sale price per unit will tend to be lower than those manufactures that start out at $16k for the base unit.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #60

Alabama
It would be interesting to know for sure. As time goes on, I suspect more buyers, in my demographic, will think of many of these "options" as necessities...like AC here in the south ($799 option). I suspect people, like yourself, who enjoy doing their own work and keeping things more basic, will continue to buy older models while people like myself will be the ones buying new units. At any rate, no matter how you get there, there is profit to be made and if the apparent trend continues to develop unanswered, then both sales AND profits will suffer as 'new' purchasers move on to other manufacturers.

Tags
scamp