Problems with ordering from SCAMP plus delivery issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Problems with ordering from SCAMP plus delivery issues

This is a request for help in making my purchase from SCAMP go much smoother than it has started. First.....I purchased a 13 ft Scamp Deluxe last Wed. I have requested an emailed copy of my purchase every day since to no avail. They say their email will not go through to either my or my wife's computer. Micah had no problem sending their brochure to my wife prior to purchase, so I know they have the capability.

Second...I have received a couple of responses from customers who have recently purchased new Scamps. It was disturbing to hear all the production issues like...broken latches, doors that stick, knobs that fall off, thermostats that don't work, fridge installs crooked, curtains installed crooked...ill stop here. This is very disturbing to hear considering the cost involved and buying blind. We live on opposite ends of the country (gulf coast) and will be paying almost $1,800 to have it delivered.

Third...prior to ordering, I received a price list detailing the cost of each option. Upon order, all these options were higher than quoted.

Communication with a scamp is very difficult. There should be a point person or customer service department to handle production problems and facilitate proper communication. My trailer's completion date is Oct. 29th....or, about double the build out time they publish. This is an exciting venture for my wife and myself and we want to be assured that, being so far from the company, we don't pay all this money for a shoddy product with little recourse for fixing potential warrantied components.

I'm not trying to bash Scamp....I would like to hear how your experiences have been...great or not so great...so I can be better prepared for the process of delivery and getting the product I am paying for without having to deal with getting a half a dozen Items fixed before we can use our new trailer. We are not experienced campers thus the concern. Thank you for your advice, comments and words of wisdom.
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Your experience with SCAMP reflects what has been said in many earlier posts. They just don't seem to be very swooft on customer relations.

If it was moi, I would just go to the factory and pick it up so any problems could be taken care of on the spot & you wouldn't have to deal with the possibiity of shipping damage as one buyer recently did.

BTW: 3 months delivery for a 13' seems way excessive. Maybe the factory just closes for the summer so they can take a vacation as well and sez @@$@@!@ with customer orders.

BTW: By October 29th prices on even slightly used ones will be on the decline as the season ends. Right now you are dealing with wanting instant gratification, think about that.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Alabama
Thanks Bob for the feedback. They do seem more concerned with $Sales vs customer service. When I told Allen that the "discounted" pkg price he quoted me was slightly more than the published retail prices I had sent to me his response was "this is the way it is".... In other words. Take it or leave it. Put a bad taste in my mouth. Every time I have called to get the invoice sent its like pulling teeth. On my 4 th request today to have it faxed to the house he told me he put it in the mail and his copy was not clear enough to fax. One good thing is that I am getting a 2014 vs a '13. I read another post this am about a delivery that was made not on a flatbed trailer but towed which had an accident and was still delivered. My confidence level is sinking like a rock in water. I hope it gets better from here on.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm with Bob. I would pick it up at the factory. There's a nice campground nearby/ I'd stay there fro a few days and make sure everything works. I don't think 3 months is too long. When you get to the factory you'll see it's not a Ford factory where they are making a zillion and are just customizing one to your specification.

Actually a visit to the factory is fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
The trees should be beautiful up there then!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Take it or Leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Thanks Bob for the feedback. They do seem more concerned with $Sales vs customer service. When I told Allen that the "discounted" pkg price he quoted me was slightly more than the published retail prices I had sent to me his response was "this is the way it is".... In other words. Take it or leave it. Put a bad taste in my mouth. Every time I have called to get the invoice sent its like pulling teeth. On my 4 th request today to have it faxed to the house he told me he put it in the mail and his copy was not clear enough to fax. One good thing is that I am getting a 2014 vs a '13. I read another post this am about a delivery that was made not on a flatbed trailer but towed which had an accident and was still delivered. My confidence level is sinking like a rock in water. I hope it gets better from here on.

Hmmmm.....

It's 2013, not 1972, today you can almost fax a fingerprint.

But WOW, getting a 2014 vs a 2013, I'll bet that they introduce more changes at this model years changeover than they have in the past 10 years (current count = none) But you can bet that it's built with the same frame, tires, axles, appliances and interior parts that they used on 2013 production versions.

If you are planning on selling within 2-3 years after buying the year might have some value, but after that it's all about condition, condition and condition.....

You might want to look here for something you can enjoy this year:
Scamp Trailers - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Ands to think that I have been told that SCAMP reads these posts and still does nothing..... I guess when you can sell all you can build, who cares???

Sorry about the sour grapes, but buying a bird in hand is 10X better than one in a bush you can't even see.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
We had some issues with our 2011 5th wheel that we did not discover until ~ 6 months later (we picked it up at Backus). Every issue was resolved/repaired by our local rv repair shop; they worked with Scamp so all repairs were at no cost to us.
jrbowers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Scamp

Quote:
This is a request for help in making my purchase from SCAMP go much smoother than it has started. First.....I purchased a 13 ft Scamp Deluxe last Wed. I have requested an emailed copy of my purchase every day since to no avail. They say their email will not go through to either my or my wife's computer. Micah had no problem sending their brochure to my wife prior to purchase, so I know they have the capability.

Second...I have received a couple of responses from customers who have recently purchased new Scamps. It was disturbing to hear all the production issues like...broken latches, doors that stick, knobs that fall off, thermostats that don't work, fridge installs crooked, curtains installed crooked...ill stop here. This is very disturbing to hear considering the cost involved and buying blind. We live on opposite ends of the country (gulf coast) and will be paying almost $1,800 to have it delivered.

Third...prior to ordering, I received a price list detailing the cost of each option. Upon order, all these options were higher than quoted.

Communication with a scamp is very difficult. There should be a point person or customer service department to handle production problems and facilitate proper communication. My trailer's completion date is Oct. 29th....or, about double the build out time they publish. This is an exciting venture for my wife and myself and we want to be assured that, being so far from the company, we don't pay all this money for a shoddy product with little recourse for fixing potential warrantied components.

I'm not trying to bash Scamp....I would like to hear how your experiences have been...great or not so great...so I can be better prepared for the process of delivery and getting the product I am paying for without having to deal with getting a half a dozen Items fixed before we can use our new trailer. We are not experienced campers thus the concern. Thank you for your advice, comments and words of wisdom.
I suggest you order an Escape where customer service is first and they build a good product.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
In late August of 2011 we picked up our new 13' Scamp in Backus, MN and drove it home to California. I have to tell you it was an exciting trip and a joy to talk with the folks at Scamp as well as to see the "plant". It was worth the trip just to get a photo of our "baby" under the "flying Scamp". We stayed at a nearby park (Railley's at Pine Mountain Resort) for a couple days, everything on the trailer checked out well and it was comforting to know we were close to the factory if there had been any issues.

The trip home was such a joy, as we camped in places such as Custer State Park (see photo of Scamp with bison!) Black Hills of South Dakota; where we saw Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial, Yellowstone; where we saw unreal hot springs and the Grand Tetons; truly spectacular mountains.

We heartily encourage you to make the trip to and from Scamp headquarters to pick up your "baby" and to have a trip of a lifetime.

Note: Scamp relies on "word of mouth" largely for their advertising. They do, however, make one "in person" appearance each year at the Minnesota State Fair in August. That may, partially, account for their delivery delay this summer. When we arrived they were preparing for the trip which required the help of all the staff. I imagine the upturn in the economy and the appeal of this little trailer has also accounted for the increase in demand. All I can say is "It is worth the wait"!
Attached Thumbnails
140.jpg   007.jpg  

017.jpg   035.jpg  

055.jpg   052.jpg  

092.jpg   131.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #10

Alabama
Hey Norm, I agree with Bob too it's just that I can't take a week off at the beginning of November. Jobs, family, holidays coming up, etc. Bob, do I detect a bit of sarcasm in your comments...ha! I'm sure the 14 will be the same as the 13 but it will be better for resale. What year would you choose 5 years from now with both in the same perfect condition with the same options? Also, I spent weeks looking through classifieds, almost contracted on a vintage trailer, then started searching again. Most of these are older than we want and none had all the options we wanted. It's worth the extra money to me to keep momma happy!!

Sorry to hear that Jim but glad Scamp took care of your problems at no cost to you. Is the warranty one year on everything .

Chuck....Escape doesn't have a 13 ft model and that's what I want.

Gilda, I'm glad it was a wonderful experience for you...I just wish we had the time. The pictures are awesome.

Good thoughts and Norm, the custom work is not that dramatic for these little guys. I suspect they just do not have the capacity to keep up with demand. This would account for the slip in workmanship that has been creeping in. I hope they read all these comments from consumers to keep up their good name.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #11

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Hello Hman,

I called Scamp about a year ago and requested info and pricing be mailed USPS to me since they couldn't send me an e-mail. They seem like a pretty good group and I've heard they make things right after the sale. My salesperson was telling me about the same production schedule as you if not maybe a little longer since it is all based on demand. Regarding dealing with their sales department it was definitely a feeling of "Old School" and I got the impression that they didn't know how or feel comfortable in using a computer.

I used to live in Minneapolis/St. Paul for about 15 years and moved back to my home state of South Dakota. The Minnesota State Fair in St. Paul is coming up and that is a huge event so I'm sure Scamp is getting ready for it. This fall I'll be heading up to Duluth some weekend and will stop in Backous to check out the factory and trailers in person. I'm still considering a 16 foot Deluxe side dinette now without curtains but just wish they would update a few things like LED lights rather than those old 70's style reading lights. lol Yuk! I feel like I should show up at an Egg Ralley with a retro theme 70's station wagon, my scamp, bell bottoms and disco lights.

Seriously though Scamp has been around a long time and they are really popular around this part of the country. They have a niche.

I'm excited for you!
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

I've never had a problem other than they don't like to do business over the internet. They much prefer phone and snail mail. I had a couple issues when I bought my Scamp and when I called, (NOTE: CALLED) I was referred to Kent Eveland, the owner. Everything was completed in a timely manner to my satisfaction. I would suggest if there's any issues call Kent directly.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #13

Alabama
Hey Miranda, now that's I sight I would like to see!! I asked about led lights and was quickly told they don't do them. You and Byron are spot on and I am realizing they are very old school. They really need to hire a point person develop a customer service position. Someone who can operate a computer. It would cut down all the phone calls and save a ton of time for everyone involved. Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If nothing else, the wheels are round.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If nothing else, the wheels are round.
And no longer chiseled from stone.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #16

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
H - Sorry to hear about your issues with Scamp, kind of makes our decision to go with an Escape more firm. I would check with Escape though as they will sometimes make a special order 13'. There was a comment about trees looking beautiful at end Oct. I'm afraid that the trees will be bare in MN by then and you might even see snow in the first week of Nov. (I've read your opinions on that lovely white stuff - syracuse right?) so it's good that you cannot go pick it up.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #17

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
I also contacted Scamp for info about 6 weeks ago. They mailed me the info and said it would be the end of Oct. before I could get one. I don't know if I will get rid of the one I have, or just keep it. I don't know if I would buy a larger Scamp, or go with something else. Right now with all these posts, It's not looking good for Scamp.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #18

Alabama
Adrian...you cracked me up. Ok, update, today we received the DVD in the mail and much to my surprise and wonderment, my wife liked the non deluxe (wood) interior and felt just the fiberglass and wood looked fine. This is obviously much less expensive...less weight, a concern with our Jeep wrangler and...maybe we can get it sooner!! Now, we will see Monday if I can communicate our change in our order once we actually got to see one, at least via a DVD. Its only been 3 days thus far so...I'm hopeful. I was thinking about adding the heat strip on the AC for $80. Any thoughts on this one vs carrying a small ceramic heater. Being the...non Syracuse type...it can get chilly at night in the winter down here.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #19

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Quote:

"H" I feel your concern. As a recent buyer of a '13 scamp 16' I definatly think that with their volumn of production they should have better customer service, someone in their office who knows the product and will communicate with customers in a timely fashion. Also, their policy of refering every problem to the mfg of the item in question ie; furnace or something, is only a dodge to not having to deal with it themselves. They SHOULD deal with it! They are the mfg of the final product and have much more influence with their suppliers than you or I.
I'm not saying they should require you to bring the trailer to their shop tp be fixed, but make the arrangement with the supplier for the trailer to be fixed at a convienent location. this shouldn't be the the client's responsibilty.
Having built custom homes for 40 years, I know I would be in endless litigation running my business that way. JMHO George
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #20

Alabama
You are right George. My wife is an attorney so we will be paying close attention to detail making sure we get what we pay for...in proper working order!!
I see where you are pulling a 16ft with a 4cyl??? I have a 6cyl jeep and have been concerned about weight.

Tags
scamp